Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jaws: Skins Power Running Game Shades of '82 Hogs

Veretax

Just saw the State Farm NFL Matchup on ESPN, and Jaws talked up our power running game, with, betts and portis as being keys to Victory on Monday. Hodge on the other hand thinks Landry has to have a good game to keep Brian Westbrook from making too many Long Runs.

Very interesting, because Jaws said he had to ask if this was last weeks tape he was watching. Apparently it reminded him of the 1982 Redskins offense.

How very interesting.

Just thought I'd share that before CHurch ;)

During the USC-Nebraska game (on ABC) they had a halftime interview woth the MNF crew.

Of course, their mission was to hype up their upcoming game. If the next game was between the Raiders and the Colts, they'd have talked about what a close gasme they thought this was going to be.

But what I noticed was that they gave the job of talking about how good the Eagles were to Korny, and Jaws had the job of talking up the Skins.

Hodge on the other hand thinks Landry has to have a good game to keep Brian Westbrook from making too many Long Runs.

Yeah, I'm thinking that Rocky and London may have something to say about Westbrook before he even makes it to Landry.

Now, Philly may be able to accomplish it. They aren't exactly a bad team, and they know us pretty well.

But IMO, if they beat us, it won't be by running it up the middle. (Unless they've thrown for 200 yards, first, and we've had to drop the LBs into coverage to help out against the pass.)

I've been critical of this offensive line. I've just grown very frustrated with their inconsistent effort and seemingly coming up small late in games.

Last Sunday against the Dolphins was exactly the kind of performance I expect from this group. They provided Jason with good protection and most refreshingly, they got stronger as the game went on and totally dominated the line of scrimmage late in the game and in OT.

That is what the HOGS did and finally this group did it too. If they can keep it going week in and week out, they may actually have earned a nickname instead of having one just given to them despite so so play.

Good job Oline. Keep it up and tear Philly a new one.

Westbrook could be a serious problem out of the backfield, but I dont think he breaks 50 yards rushing. And Landry might be more responsible for McNugget than Westbrook.

with mcnabb being so fresh off the knee injury he wont be going anywhere. he will be strictly a pocket passer. id still like williams to send landry at mcnabbs blindside. even if he doesnt get there he will know that he is going to have to account for landry on every play.

I've been critical of this offensive line. I've just grown very frustrated with their inconsistent effort and seemingly coming up small late in games.

Last Sunday against the Dolphins was exactly the kind of performance I expect from this group. They provided Jason with good protection and most refreshingly, they got stronger as the game went on and totally dominated the line of scrimmage late in the game and in OT.

That is what the HOGS did and finally this group did it too. If they can keep it going week in and week out, they may actually have earned a nickname instead of having one just given to them despite so so play.

:doh: we allowed around 19 sacks and had the 4th best run game with our backup. And, your still critical. Our line like our offense starts off slow every year and picks up towards december.

IF landry stops Westbrook, then we have a big problem. The safeties should not stopping the RBS. I know Landry is a "4th LB" but still, i would feel better if London or Rocky were tackling him.

Landry plays closer to the LoS on most plays than the LB's do, especially since he is patrolling the the weakside. If Landry can hit Westbrook at the LoS and stop him for minimal gain, thats better than having a LB stop him 4-5 yards downfield.

This is what is going to happen. We will stop Westbrook, he won't even pass Rocky and London. Second, the pass rush is going to pressure McNabb, and we will be forced to throw to the receivers he has(I think we are deeper than them at receiver). On the offensive side, we will continue to run the ball now with CP and Betts. Remember last season, Betts put up numbers when they came to Fed-Ex last year, so I expect to put up more numbers with their soft run defense. It's going to be a close victory, but we will put up yards. Trust me.

I agree completely. I think our O-line was a little overrated last year because of the inconsistency and because of Campbell's ability to evade, which masked some weaknesses.

Last week, we truly controlled the line of scrimmage for the vast majority of the game and the finish, as you noted, was just excellent.

We'll see tomorrow if that was merely ~65 minutes of consistency or the beginning of something bigger...

And keep in mind, consistancy comes from running the football =)

What the offensive line did last Sunday against the Dolphins is something they've been doing all along.

IF landry stops Westbrook, then we have a big problem. The safeties should not stopping the RBS. I know Landry is a "4th LB" but still, i would feel better if London or Rocky were tackling him.

I think what they mean by that is that Westbrook's biggest threat is out of the backfield (or split wide) as a receiver. In that capacity, I imagine LaRon will see a good amount of plays locked up with Westbrook man to man. His play against Westbrook in the passing game is certainly one of the keys to this game, he's devastating as a receiver.

wrong, the best way to match up against the eagles is to have landry spy westbrook and take him out of the game. let mcnugget try to beat our cbs deep to....kevin curtis?

it's the way we have to gameplan this week. landry will spend a lot of time up in the box and following westbrook out of the back fied.

I'm a little more ambitious. I'd like Anthony Montgomery to stop Westbrook.

I'm even more ambitious. I'd like Westbrook to stop himself. He gets a handoff or a screen pass, looks upfield and sees Landry, Rocky, and Fletcher running full sped at him and just says "**** this" and plays dead.

:eaglesuck

Just saw the State Farm NFL Matchup on ESPN, and Jaws talked up our power running game, with, betts and portis as being keys to Victory on Monday. Hodge on the other hand thinks Landry has to have a good game to keep Brian Westbrook from making too many Long Runs.

Please, folk, try to take anything ESPN says about a game they're hosting on MNF with a bit of salt. All pretenses to journalism go right out the window (as if they weren't already gone) when ESPN has something to pimp and line their own pockets. Guys there *have* to talk about both teams as possible powerhouses to sell not only to the die hard but, perhaps more importantly, the casual fan.

This casual fan understands Hogs and Gibbs, not, say, why GW is going with the Cover 2.

Archived