Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hypothetical WR vs DB situation

DiscoBob

We all know that it’s common practice for a safety to layout a receiver as he goes for the ball, rather than go for the pick. Even if the receiver doesn’t get his hands on the ball this is a legitimate play (i.e. See Sean Taylor highlight reels).

It’s great when it’s your team doing the hitting, but sucks when you see your WR get his bell rung. So I started wondering if it would be possible to pay back a DB for a hit on one of our WR’s.

My question is this – If a QB throws an errant pass that is headed toward a defensive back, can the receiver do the same thing to the DB? Has anyone ever seen this happen?

I know this is a total fantasy situation, but hey that’s what message boards are for right? If a team put a safety in at WR (exhibit A – Sean Taylor; exibit B – Laron Landry) and then the QB “accidentally” lobs a deep duck to one of the DB’s and then has their “wide receiver” blow up the DB right before the ball is caught, would he get flagged?

Do you think the team would get fined for doing this on purpose?

I know this would never really happen, but hey, it’s worth imagining right?

1st Down – We go deep to Santana and Dawkins gets a good read on him and lays him out as he goes down the sideline. Santana’s a little wobbly at first, but OK. The crowd goes wild, Dawkins flexs toward the redskins bench…..you get the idea.

2nd Down - #21 Subs in for Santana and lines up split to the left. The announcer makes a comment about how we must really not trust Brandon Lloyd if Taylor is the first WR sub. Antwann is split left….after the snap he runs a 15 yard hitch, but Jason lobs the ball like he thinks it’s a go route. Meanwhile Taylor runs a deep post. Dawkins is covering the deep half on Antwaan’s side and settles in under the ball, and just about when the ball is about to hit him square in the chest, Taylor give him a full speed leaping shoulder to the chest, completely de-cleating him. The crowd is silent as Taylor walks off the field and the Redskins go back to the huddle….

Yeah, because what it is important in a football games is having the most highlight reel hits and trying to show how much of a "beast" our players are.

Winning through execution isn't what it is about. It's about individual plays so people can flex/dance/look like an idiot.

:laugh:

amen to you sir!

For the record, the WR is meant to catch the ball and make the Safety look like a big hunk of junk playing out there. I'd rather see the Safety get burned for a TD than get laid out.

the problem with your question is the WR would be wasting a play by trying to light up the DB where as the DB could knock the ball away from the WR saving a gain of yards. How ever if say an interception did happen to occur and cooley were to keep the DB standing up sort of like how the Bears create so many turnovers and Sellers where to come flying in and hit the db in the numbers I would be all of that.

hypothetically speakin, that would be funny. but a safer way to get him back is just a crackback on a runnin play. and since we're talkin fantasay, if we're up by enough, he can disregard whether the player is facin him and take the 15 yard penalty. or is that a 5 yarder for illegal block in that back?

the problem with your question is the WR would be wasting a play by trying to light up the DB where as the DB could knock the ball away from the WR saving a gain of yards. How ever if say an interception did happen to occur and cooley were to keep the DB standing up sort of like how the Bears create so many turnovers and Sellers where to come flying in and hit the db in the numbers I would be all of that.

I like the way you think!

We all know that it’s common practice for a safety to layout a receiver as he goes for the ball, rather than go for the pick. Even if the receiver doesn’t get his hands on the ball this is a legitimate play (i.e. See Sean Taylor highlight reels).

Um, I've been watching football my whole life, and I'm pretty sure you just described pass interference. It is not a legitimate play if the receiver hasn't touched the ball unless the ball was tipped at the line.

I know this would never really happen, but hey, it’s worth imagining right?

No it isn't. Our qb should throw it to our receivers, so we can get yards and score points.

Um, I've been watching football my whole life, and I'm pretty sure you just described pass interference.....

I'm not sure what games you're watching, but receivers get drilled all the time when they go up for a ball, even when the ball is uncatchable......It happened in last weeks game where a Miami receiver went up, missed the ball, and got drilled by Landry....

I'm not sure what games you're watching, but receivers get drilled all the time when they go up for a ball, even when the ball is uncatchable......It happened in last weeks game where a Miami receiver went up, missed the ball, and got drilled by Landry....

If that happens before the ball gets there, it's pass interference. If the receiver has touched the ball, or if the ball is past him, or if the ball has previously been tipped, then the receiver is fair game.

instead of wasting a play by throwing a ball to dawkins and having taylor lay him out. why not have are to the left, moss to the right, and taylor in the slot. toss a WR screen to whichever side taylor is on. and have him lay out dawkins when he comes up to make a play. ive seen people lay some devastating blocks before. so then we get back at dawkins AND potentially make a big play.

then we arent out wasting second down...

Archived