Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did the Skins run on 1st down 80% last week

tomvmd

There are two basic football philosophies.

1) If something is going well, keep doing it until the stop it.

2) Keep off balanced and if they expect a, then go with b or better yet c

I think Gibbs believes in approach no. 1, afterall, eventually a gimmick or trickery team isn't a gimmick or trickery team... that's just the norm. We were running on first because they weren't stopping us. We out executed them. We'll mix it up more as we need to, but for the most part that was us saying... we're going to run and you can't stop us.

And they didn't

There are two basic football philosophies.

2) Keep off balanced and if they expect a, then go with b or better yet c

I think Gibbs believes in approach no. 1, afterall, eventually a gimmick or trickery team isn't a gimmick or trickery team... that's just the norm. We were running on first because they weren't stopping us. We out executed them. We'll mix it up more as we need to, but for the most part that was us saying... we're going to run and you can't stop us.

And they didn't

Agreed. I think it's going to be option #2 Vs. Philly... Unless of course they can't stop our running game...

WE still have a few things in our playbook that WILL be used, probably on monday night...

a reverse to ARE...

a WR screen to Moss...(probably 2 or 3)

I also like the shuffel pass which I believe we DID do once to Betts...this is a good play on 3rd and 3

Don't forget...Portis can throw the ball too...

We really have to bring it all monday night and that starts with coaching...our players won the game sunday despite us being outcoached.

The version I always liked was:

If it's stupid, but it works,

then it isn't.

(That said, though. I wouldn't mind if our first offensive play would be play action to Portis, then go deep middle to Moss. (Cooley is the safety valve.))

Yes our running game is very strong, however I believe the question is are we too predictable and I have say that Gibbs history lends me to believe that indeed we are predictable. Now, that said, it doesn't matter as long as it's working. What remains to be seen though , will Gibbs stay with the run on 1st and 2nd pass on 3rd too long when it no longer is working. This has been the problem in the past , his inability to make in changes in the game plan when it more than demands it.

This is the way Gibbs works. Run a very predictable game and then hit them big with something new mid to late game. As long as we make decent yards on 1st running then it's all works out great when defense is run blitzing and Campbell back pedals to launch a bomb to moss!

I also believe they set up the next weeks team with play calling this week. I've seen him do this in several occasions especially early in the season.

I'd like to know the percentages of passes that go to the outside of the hashmarks and the percentage of passes that are thrown in between the hash marks. My guess 90% - 10%; respectively.

That is a good question I for the life of me dont know why they dont attack the middle of the field.

This will only help keep a safety in more of the middle and open up the outside.

But who am I the coaches have forgot more football than I know.

I'd say that part of the reason we haven't gone to the middle lately is because we haven't had an "over the middle" receiver.

I think Cooley's going to change that.

(Hopefully Monday night.)

And Campbell is still green. The outside throws only force him to read part of the defense. Once he finds his rhythm and vision he will throw over the middle more. Until then I doubt they risk a lot of over the middle deep stuff.

Running the ball is a beautiful thing to behold.I loved seeing the Phins players in OT with their tongues hanging out.

So did I. I felt sorry for them (a little). They were about to pass out, or start puking, or something. (Our D was too, for a while, there.)

When the run the ball with success on first down, Gibbs history just tells you that he will continue to do so. First game of the season and I think Gibbs would rather see Campbell in 2nd and 5's and 3rd and 4's than 3rd and 10's As Campbell gets more comfortable he will push towards opening it up more of 1st and 2nd down.

Archived