Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DMN: Tank Johnson on Cowboys' radar

tr1

If true, this says tons about the pukes' organization...a slime ball playing on a slime ball team...sorta makes sense, though...

07:47 PM CDT on Tuesday, September 11, 2007

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/091207dnspocowdate.2918b93.html

By TODD ARCHER and CALVIN WATKINS / The Dallas Morning News

IRVING – As the Cowboys look to bolster their nose tackle position with Jason Ferguson out for the season with a torn right biceps, former Chicago Bears tackle Tank Johnson's name has come up, according to sources.

On Tuesday, Cowboys vice president Stephen Jones would not comment on the team's potential interest in Johnson, who is serving an eight-game suspension for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy, but acknowledged that any player's off-field behavior is discussed.

"That's part of the equation," Jones said. "On the field, off the field, medical, we look at all of that before we decide whether to sign anybody."

The Cowboys made two roster moves Tuesday, placing Ferguson on injured reserve and signing nose tackle Remi Ayodele.

Ayodele, the younger brother of Cowboys starting linebacker Akin, was one of the last preseason cuts by the Cowboys. Remi signed with Atlanta but was released last week.

"He was definitely somebody we wanted to have around," Jones said. "We thought he was definitely good enough to play, but not as good as Ferguson or [Jay] Ratliff."

Meanwhile, Johnson is eligible for reinstatement Oct. 29.

In December, Lake County (Ill.) police discovered six firearms, including two assault rifles, in Johnson's home. He was placed on home confinement, which prevented him from leaving the state of Illinois. In March, he was sentenced to 120 days in jail for violating probation.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell announced Johnson's eight-game suspension June 4, but almost three weeks later, Johnson was pulled over for driving while impaired in Gilbert, Ariz. The charges would be dropped, but the Bears released Johnson on June 25.

Jerrold Colton, Johnson's agent, would not comment on whether he has heard from any teams. He said Johnson is working out in Tempe, Ariz.

"He's determined to be in the best shape of his life and report to whatever team he signed with ready to help them as soon as he's eligible," Colton said. "He's very hopeful that this season that's off to an unpleasant start can end in a triumphant way."

Glenn gets second opinion: After examining medical documents sent to his Birmingham, Ala., office, Dr. James Andrews confirmed the extent of receiver Terry Glenn's right knee injury.

Glenn wanted a second opinion because he must determine the type of surgery he's willing to undergo.

If Glenn has an arthroscopic procedure on his knee, he could miss a few weeks. But if he opts for micro-fracture surgery, the 2007 season and his career could be in jeopardy.

Wouldn't his suspension start when he is signed? If he isn't employed by an NFL team, how do the games being played count towards the suspension? I know that they were saying that Ricky Williams would have to serve a suspension if he made a team. Why wouldn't the same apply to Tank?

Wouldn't his suspension start when he is signed? If he isn't employed by an NFL team, how do the games being played count towards the suspension? I know that they were saying that Ricky Williams would have to serve a suspension if he made a team. Why wouldn't the same apply to Tank?

Because Williams voluntarily retired.

Because Williams voluntarily retired.
Point taken, but how is Tank being punished now? I know he is unemployed, but doesn't that make it hard to serve a suspension? That would be like fining him a paycheck. He doesn't get one so he really isn't losing anything. He isn't on a roster so he really isn't missing any games.

Point taken, but how is Tank being punished now? I know he is unemployed, but doesn't that make it hard to serve a suspension? That would be like fining him a paycheck. He doesn't get one so he really isn't losing anything. He isn't on a roster so he really isn't missing any games.

I think the difference is Tank's suspension was handed down by the commissioner. It's not a substance abuse issue. Goodall said he can't play the first 8 games. After that he's fine.

He'd already have been picked up by another team if he wasn't suspended...I think you know that.

I wanted the Skins to look at him...low risk high reward kind of deal. He doesn't work out, his contract will be easily voidable for anyone that picks him up.

Tank isn't a lockerroom problem...

Posted earlier today.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1573188.html

POSTED 10:58 a.m. EDT, September 12, 2007

TANK'S SUSPENSION IS SHRINKING

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello, responding to a Wednesday morning e-mail inquiry, tells us that the eight-game suspension imposed on defensive tackle Tank Johnson is being served, even though he's not currently on a team.

So, as a practical matter, Johnson apparently will be eligible to return after Week Eight.

This news conflicts with our prior understanding that a suspension can't be served by a player who isn't under contract with a team. For example, we thought that receiver Andre Rison's NFL career ended prematurely had ended because he would have to serve a four-game suspension promptly after signing with a new team.

We've believed the Rison rule to be accurate for so long that we couldn't recall how we first came to believe that it was the standard practice. To support our misimpression, we found a 2003 Tip Sheet from ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli, wherein Len writes as follows: "Rison, 37, faces a four-game suspension if he ever signs a contract because of past sanctions resulting from a repeat violation of the NFL's substance abuse policy."

But, per Aiello, the standard practice is to give players credit toward their suspensions for games that are played even if the players aren't on an NFL roster. We've since confirmed, for example, that receiver Antonio Bryant's remaining two-game suspension from 2006 will be satisfied after Week Two, despite the fact that he is not currently on any team.

I am not a big fan of Tank Johnson but, he is a good player. If the decision is to sign him, then so be it. I didn't love signing TO and still don't love it. The club rearly asks me for my opinion so..............

I don't believe that Tank is a problem in the locker room. His problems occure off the football field, I think. We will see.

"In December, Lake County (Ill.) police discovered six firearms, including two assault rifles, in Johnson's home. He was placed on home confinement, which prevented him from leaving the state of Illinois. In March, he was sentenced to 120 days in jail for violating probation."

I want to know what is wrong with this? There's something called the constitution that protects our rights to bear arms...including assault rifles. Was he selling them? Did he buy them off the black market? What? That is bull**** if he was considered a menace to the NFL for exercising his constitutional right. I know it says he 'violated probation' but how can exercising a constitutional right be 'violating' probation. They REALLY need to change the probation laws.

Disclaimer - I don't own any guns nor will I ever except in the case I may need to hunt for food during a post-apocalyptic era. In a nutshell...I'm not an NRA nut so don't try to 'call' me on it.

"In December, Lake County (Ill.) police discovered six firearms, including two assault rifles, in Johnson's home. He was placed on home confinement, which prevented him from leaving the state of Illinois. In March, he was sentenced to 120 days in jail for violating probation."

I want to know what is wrong with this? There's something called the constitution that protects our rights to bear arms...including assault rifles. Was he selling them? Did he buy them off the black market? What? That is bull**** if he was considered a menace to the NFL for exercising his constitutional right. I know it says he 'violated probation' but how can exercising a constitutional right be 'violating' probation. They REALLY need to change the probation laws.

Disclaimer - I don't own any guns nor will I ever except in the case I may need to hunt for food during a post-apocalyptic era. In a nutshell...I'm not an NRA nut so don't try to 'call' me on it.

I'm not a lawyer (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once), but I think in certain states, Assult Rifles are illegal and if they are legal you must have a permit for them. But like I said, not sure of Illinois law or permit laws. Maybe someone else in here has the answer for you.

Read:
In November 2005' date=' Johnson was arrested at the Excalibur nightclub in Chicago's Cook County for possession of a handgun in his sport utility vehicle. Johnson pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor gun charge and was sentenced to 18 months probation and 40 hours of community service. On February 12, 2006, Johnson, while still on probation, was charged with aggravated assault and resisting arrest after allegedly verbally threatening a police officer. Johnson was leaving Level Nightclub on Chicago's Rush Street when the police officer was ticketing a limousine driver whom Johnson had hired. As Johnson allegedly put up a struggle, he was maced and subdued with the help of other police officers. The charges were eventually dropped.

Johnson's mugshot from his arrest.On December 14, 2006, Lake County police officers searched Johnson's home in Gurnee, Illinois, and allegedly discovered that he possessed six firearms, including two assault rifles. According to police reports, some of the guns were loaded and there were children in the house. Although Johnson was at football practice during the search, his bodyguard William Posey was arrested from his house for alleged possession of marijuana. Johnson was charged with violation to probation and possessing unlicensed weapons. Bears coach Lovie Smith deactivated Johnson for the following game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers based on this incident.[/quote']He wasn't arrested for having the guns. He was arrested for having unlicensed guns. Add to it they were loaded and there were children in the house, and he could have been charged with reckless endangerment.

I honestly don't have any problem with Tank signing anywhere. For whatever reason' date=' I don't view him the same as - say - Leonard Little.[/quote']

That's what I was thinking too.

Some people think that he is in Al Queda and will participate in the next terrorist attack on the US. :rolleyes:

That's what I was thinking too.

Some people think that he is in Al Queda and will participate in the next terrorist attack on the US. :rolleyes:

He broke the law. He violated NFL rules.

Basically, he's unfit for the league. I thought eight games was too easy.

Can he still contribute to society? I guess so...as long as he follows the law like the rest of us.

I hope the pukes pick him up...he'll be out eight weeks, hasn't participated in OTAs or preseason, and will be in bad "football" shape.

He should fit in nicely with that defense.

:laugh: :laugh:

Archived