Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WTAM: Frye Cut or Traded

rebornempowered

He was at Akron right before I moved away from Cleveland 4 years ago, I remember when they drafted him and kinda went "You took a QB from Akron???Akron???".

I was thinking the same thing. I went to a MAC school and have seen the good ones come through (Roethlisberger, Leftwich, Pennington, Batch, Hogeboom :D ). Frye never struck me as an NFL caliber QB while he was playing at Akron. Gradkowski (Toledo) didn't either.

Frye was traded to the Seahawks.

Apparently, 20 minutes of action was all the Browns needed to see to make a change at quarterback.

Cleveland has traded former starting quarterback Charlie Frye to the Seattle Seahawks, FOXSports.com has learned. Terms of the deal, which went down Tuesday morning, are not yet known.

With Frye out of the picture, it should only be a matter of time before first-round pick Brady Quinn gets the nod as the starter.

The Seahawks have been in the market for a backup quarterback, which will free them up to use Seneca Wallace in other positions around the field.

The Browns will bring back Ken Dorsey, who was with the team in training camp, to serve as their third quarterback.

In just over a quarter of play on Sunday against the Steelers, Frye was 4-of-10 for 34 yards and 1 INT. Frye was also sacked five times before giving way to Derek Anderson early in the second quarter.

Anderson would throw for 184 yards and the team's only touchdown of the day, but also had an interception in the Browns' 34- 7

Now, doesn't this make people feel better about the Campbell trade? (I had suspicions that Campbell would have been selected by the Browns if we didn't trade up for him.)

Frye was the first QB picked after him, and now he's gone. Andrew Walker is likely gone now that Russell is signed, and David Greene falls back on the depth chart in Seattle. (presumably)

Jason

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3014233

Browns deal Charlie Frye to Seahawks

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

Just one game into the season, the Cleveland Browns will make a change at quarterback, as the team on Tuesday afternoon dealt third-year veteran Charlie Frye, who started Sunday's regular-season opener but was benched early in the game, to the Seattle Seahawks.

The Browns, who spent much of Monday seeking a trade partner for Frye, received a draft choice in return.

The team said Frye must pass a physical for the trade to be completed. Cleveland also signed free agent quarterback Ken Dorsey, cut 10 days ago by the club, to a one-year contract.

The team planned to make general manager Phil Savage available Tuesday afternoon to discuss the moves.

There is no word yet on who will start for Cleveland in next Sunday's home game against the Cincinnati Bengals. The departure of Frye could pave the way for the Browns to turn the starting job over to first-round draft pick Brady Quinn of Notre Dame, but Savage on Monday cautioned that it might be too early for the former Notre Dame star to be elevated to that status.

Savage cited the 1999 season when, after a blowout loss to Pittsburgh, the Browns benched starting veteran Ty Detmer and moved first-round pick Tim Couch, the top overall selection in the draft that year, into the lineup. Cleveland finished 2-14 that season, and Couch, clearly not ready yet to start, struggled throughout the year.

There had been rumors following Sunday's lopsided loss to the Steelers that Frye might be traded or released. Frye completed only four of 10 passes for 34 yards and an interception in the game -- a QB rating of 10.0 -- and was replaced by Derek Anderson at 6;34 of the second quarter. Anderson did not fare much better, going 13-of-28 for 184 yards.

Archived