Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Upon Further Review... Anthony Montgomery

Zen-like Todd

I just watched the first half of the game again (yay bittorrent), and I focused for the most part on Monty when the Dolphins had the ball. Bottom line, Monty is legit. He owns the line of scrimmage.

Often taking on the double team, he never gets pushed off the line. More often than not he's choosing to establish position instead of get a rush, but he still found his way into the backfield several times. On top of that, I noticed him hustling back into the secondary after a short pass was completed to his side. Given concerns about his work ethic, I must say I was extremely impressed. When Golston came in, he was 50/50. He had some pretty good plays, but he also got punched off the line a few times, where Montgomery was essentially an immovable object.

I haven't watched the second half yet, but he did a great job against an admittedly weak Dolphins o-line, and you kind of get the feeling that he'll only get better.

montgomery is no-doubt the better talent of the two...Golston is an overachiever and has a high-motor but when it all boils down to it you want to monster guy playing on the dline.

For people that bash our drafting, those two picks were big time and really helped us out. We need them both for years to come.

Idk if anyone else noticed but it seemed like on every play daniels was an inch away from tipping it just an observation.

Daniels batted down two passes. If you look back over his time with the Redskins, he's always doing that. He has good length, and he knows when he's not going to get to the QB. He's very good at getting his hand up. In fact, one of his deflections came on the second WR screen that Green tried to throw. Having seen it already, Daniels knew what was up, and killed the play. You would love to have a ten sack guy over there, but Daniels is a savvy veteran player who is solid against the run while making the occasional smart play in the passing game.

Daniels batted down two passes. If you look back over his time with the Redskins, he's always doing that. He has good length, and he knows when he's not going to get to the QB. He's very good at getting his hand up. In fact, one of his deflections came on the second WR screen that Green tried to throw. Having seen it already, Daniels knew what was up, and killed the play. You would love to have a ten sack guy over there, but Daniels is a savvy veteran player who is solid against the run while making the occasional smart play in the passing game.

Exactly, well said:applause:

I said before I think he's going to be the real deal. The one quibble I had after watching Sunday is that he seems to be too high at the point of contact. I'd like to see him come off the snap lower, with better leverage. But he does seem capable of clogging the middle.

I said before I think he's going to be the real deal. The one quibble I had after watching Sunday is that he seems to be too high at the point of contact. I'd like to see him come off the snap lower, with better leverage. But he does seem capable of clogging the middle.
it doesnt matter the guy is unstoppable, watch his film from college in MN he was UNSTOPPABLE!!!!

Daniels is legit at batting down passes.

In 05, one of the astounding stats was that just our dline batted down 5 % of passes thrown by the QB. That's pretty good.

Daniels owned the tackle he was facing. He was making his way into the pocket on a regular basis. It's not only about getting the sacks but about getting in the qbs face.

I think its kind of sad when the best thing we have to say about our DE is "But hes good at batting down passes".

Most teams would laugh at that. Would be nice to have a pass rusher considering how dominant our inside DT's are.

The problem with this limited thinking is that DE do not only pass rush. Daniels does a very good job on the running game. Yeah....so he's not a speed rusher with mega sacks. In this league, you have to stop the run to win on defense. Daniels does a good job of stopping the run and containing the pocket on his side. A lot of those high profile pass rushing defensive ends are huge liabilities in the run game. Daniels is not as bad as so many people try to lead us to believe.

Daniels is a phenomenal DE in so many regards. The ONLY knock on him is his age. Although he doesn't put up great sack numbers.... watch him... he dominates his man and he's always within a foot of getting a sack. He gets a lot of pressures though and narrows that pocket. And he's very stout against the run as well.

Again, it's just to bad we got Daniels so late in his career.

i wasn't paying too much attention to monty during the game, but it's good to hear that he held his own. that makes me really optimistic about our d-line in the future. :D

I just watched the first half of the game again (yay bittorrent)

for real? dang, i've been looking for the game on pirate bay and isohunt but i couldn't find it. maybe i'm searching for it wrong. do you use those sites or something else?

I just watched the first half of the game again (yay bittorrent), and I focused for the most part on Monty when the Dolphins had the ball. Bottom line, Monty is legit. He owns the line of scrimmage.

Often taking on the double team, he never gets pushed off the line. More often than not he's choosing to establish position instead of get a rush, but he still found his way into the backfield several times. On top of that, I noticed him hustling back into the secondary after a short pass was completed to his side. Given concerns about his work ethic, I must say I was extremely impressed. When Golston came in, he was 50/50. He had some pretty good plays, but he also got punched off the line a few times, where Montgomery was essentially an immovable object.

I haven't watched the second half yet, but he did a great job against an admittedly weak Dolphins o-line, and you kind of get the feeling that he'll only get better.

But Madden has Golsten ranked higher than Montgomery....Just joking around! :silly:

Monty is the real deal. He's the kind of DT that can anchor the defense for 5-7 years.

Golston is smaller and is more of a three-technique, shoot-the-gap kind of guy. He's more of a backup to Griffin in that regard. Both are valuable, but we're now getting an understanding as to why Monty was drafted before Golston.

Man that sounds fantastic! Everyone wanted to draft a DT this past year, but the coaches knew something that we all didn't. They obviously saw something in Montgomery that we didn't over the offseason. This could be one of the best stories this year if he really becomes a force. This gives me more and more confidence in our FO that we have found a few guys late in the draft that are legit (i.e. Montgomery, H.B. Blades, Golston, undrafted Heyer)

Archived