Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RUMOR: Was Springs Told He Wasn't Going to be the Starter?

TheGreek1973

Just read on another board that Springs was told just before the game he wouldn't start. If this is true I am mad as hell :mad: :mad: :mad: . Springs is our best CB. Smoot got smacked by the fins receivers all day long. No wonder Springs played as a nickel. GW WTF are you thinking here man. Is this is the same BS as with Lavar a couple of years when we were getting smacked by Denver an runs that Holdman couldn't do anything about and Lavar was just sitting on the bench the entire game? How can Gibbs justify this crap.

Your thoughts guys.

GW is an egomaniac. I'm sure Springs displeased him in some trifling way, and GW decided to sit Springs in order to prove that the "Williams System" works regardless of the talent level on the field or some such nonsense. Idiotic. I am thrilled with the win, but outraged by this nonsense. Alienating or best cornerback is stupid; benching him for Smoot is insane-

It was pretty damn stupid if you ask me......

Springs IS a #1 corner. Smoot and Rogers appear to be #2's at best.

Every time Miami huddled, Green looked for Smoot and threw at him almost every time (when it was Springs/Rogers....he threw at Rogers).

Smoot got burned alot yesterday.......granted it wasn't for TDs but it kept drives going that should have been stopped.

No reason for Springs not to be out there unless he's hurt.

This was talked about yesterday. Before people jump to conclusions we need more information. Bram said that is something they were going to look into this week. Let's just wait and see if someone can find out and confirm the reason.

i agree, but hopefully GW gathered enough info on Smoot yesterday to not make the mistake again.

~Bang

I think it was mentioned either in the WT or WP that Gregg chose not to start Springs because of the heat and injury concerns - something about having him for the long run.

There is NO way you sit you best CB in the season opener at home. No way! There is something going on. I am sure that GW would have put him in full time after about the 7th time Smoot got burned if he was just trying to keep him healthy.

There is NO way you sit you best CB in the season opener at home. No way! There is something going on. I am sure that GW would have put him in full time after about the 7th time Smoot got burned if he was just trying to keep him healthy.

Agreed. Something is going on here, and I don't think it was the heat or "injury concerns." I suspect GW and Springs have some inane beef. Springs probably failed to adequately stroke GW's ridiculously large ego. These two must bury the hatchet ASAP. Aside from Jansen's injury, this beef is THE most serious negative to come out of the game, and Gibbs needs to address it at once-

Agreed. Something is going on here, and I don't think it was the heat or "injury concerns." I suspect GW and Springs have some inane beef. Springs probably failed to adequately stroke GW's ridiculously large ego. These two must bury the hatchet ASAP. Aside from Jansen's injury, this beef is THE most serious negative to come out of the game, and Gibbs needs to address it at once-
Where is your evidence or source for thinking that there is an "inane beef" between GW and SS? Stop assuming you know what is going on here and allow the story to unfold with actual facts and details.:2cents:

Just read on another board that Springs was told just before the game he wouldn't start. If this is true I am mad as hell :mad: :mad: :mad: . Springs is our best CB. Smoot got smacked by the fins receivers all day long. No wonder Springs played as a nickel. GW WTF are you thinking here man. Is this is the same BS as with Lavar a couple of years when we were getting smacked by Denver an runs that Holdman couldn't do anything about and Lavar was just sitting on the bench the entire game? How can Gibbs justify this crap.

Your thoughts guys.

Guys, sometimes it is harder to play the nickle corner. It all depends on the defensive schemes.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/09/AR2007090901945.html

Gregg Williams, assistant head coach-defense, said the rotation could change by the week as he aims to keep his top three corners healthy, a huge factor in allowing him to be as aggressive on the blitz as he would like.

"It's good to take the pounding off those guys," Williams said. "It's a long season, and we want to make sure we're healthy, and on a really hot day like that, make sure we've got gas in the tank to finish the game strong."

Archived