Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sept. 5: Fred Smoot

Art

I ever tell you guys I love Fred Smoot. He is free with the laugh.

Raub

Fred, first of all, welcome back. I hated to see you go to Minnesota. Having said that, can you picture yourself staying with the Redskins for the rest of your career?

Fred Smoot

Yeah, I think I will stay with the Redskins the rest of my career. Actually, it’s up to the Redskins. Point blank, I never wanted to put on another jersey but it is a business and I had to. But, hey, I want to live and die Redskins.

jsmith2003

How many picks do you plan/foresee getting this year - I certainly hope we play more nickel packages now that you are back - SMOOOOOT!!!!

Fred Smoot

Most definitely. I have only part of the team one time and I led in interceptions. If they set the bar around six or seven hopefully I can get eight or nine.

Zen-like Todd

What locker room awards are being given out this season, and has anyone gotten one yet?

Fred Smoot

(Laughing, like he did on most questions) They talking about the old awards. You know, we’re going to give them out. The Tyrone Hill award has been given out to the ugliest player in the locker room. We got a lot more as the year goes on. You know how it is, we just have a little fun while we work.

COOLeyCatchTds

Welcome home brother. If you didnt make it in the NFL, what would you be doing, career wise? P.S.- Please help Carlos with his hands.

Fred Smoot

(Laughing at the Carlos line) It’s a lot of things man. You know, my major was psychology and broadcast communications so maybe I could have been a psychologist. Anything when it comes to communicating with people I think I would have been a natural at it.

bobzmuda

I hear you're driving a Bentley now. What happened to the Smoot-Mobile?

Fred Smoot

(Big laugh, I love this guy) I still got it. I just got it redone. Still pulling it out, my 85 Chevy. It’s almost a classic now.

borninblood

If you could be any Super Hero who would it be? Why?

Please don't say Wonder Woman;)

Fred Smoot

It’d probably be Talk Man. I’d talk all my villagers to death.

Skinsinparadise

How are the crowds/fans different in Washington compared to Minnesota?

Fred Smoot

It’s like if you go to Yankees Stadium, if you’ve ever been to Yankee Stadium before, it’s the difference between going to Yankee Stadium or going to a Montreal Expos game. It’s just totally different. It’s two different places. It’s night and day. I wouldn’t want to play another game there.

Walking Deadman

Fred,

Glad you're back......had a feeling we'd see you in B&G again :point2sky

Quick question: How cool is it when you make a play at home and you hear 90,000+ fans scream SMOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!!

Here's to a great season and again Welcome Back.

HTTR

Fred Smoot

It’s very motivational. They make the job easy. That’s why I think I’ve always had a good relationship with the fans because they make my job easy and I make theirs’easy.

Monkart

Welcome back Fred,

Hope you have a great career with the Skins!!!

Do you still keep in contact with Champ?

Fred Smoot

Yeah I talk to Champ all the time. Actually he called me two or three days ago because they had signed Simeon Rice, talking about how he got more pass rushers. We still joke around all the time.

flexxskins

Hey Fred,

during your years with the Redskins, you played like a player with a chip on his shoulder, a player who had some type of motivating factor in his life and goal for himself to obtain. In short, you played like a man possessed. :)

With everything that you have gone through in recent years and going into now your seventh season in the league, do you feel that you are still capable of playing at the same level as the "like a man possessed"?

Thanks and good luck.

Fred Smoot

Most definitely. Most definitely. I got everything back going for me. I’m where I want to be. What you realize in the NFL is most players they play good when they are somewhere they want to be and they are happy. I’m happy here so yeah, you’re going to see that same Fred Smoot back here this year.

da#1skinsfan

How do you see this years DB corps stacking up against your previous experience here? Where are we stronger and where do you see room for improvement?

Fred Smoot

Well actually we probably have one of the most complete defensive backfields in the NFL when you go player for player, corners, safeties. I think everybody in the NFL would want one of our safeties to play for them. We just got a blessed situation. It all depends on us now.

mcarey032

Fred,

Welcome back! You are still one of my favorite new school redskins! Last year you were benched in Minn. for a time and then you came back. Now that you are back in Washington How has that experience changed your perception when viewing your job? Do you feel that you are more humble because of this experience? Good luck during the season.

Fred Smoot

The benching part was not the worst thing that happened to me last year. The benching actually was an agreement between me and Mike Tomlin because my mind was just not on football after my brother died. I could have cared less if the football dropped or who caught it. It was the best move for the Vikings to make.

Blondie

Hi Fred. This is Blondie. Glad to see you in Burgunday and Gold again. Has to be a natural feel to step onto the field at Redskin Park.....like you were coming home?

Fred Smoot

Yeah most definitely. I don’t have to do anything. I don’t have to learn my way around a new city, find somewhere to eat, find new friends…I got everything waiting for me.

REDSKYNYRD

Welcome back Fred. Good luck man!

Has your jaw fully healed after being broken in five places less than a year ago?

Fred Smoot

That’s a question that will be answered as the year goes on (rising voice, laughing). You never know once you break a bone how strong it is until you stick it in there.

bowhunter

Would you like a free Christmas tree from our farm? , We would be honored if you would. I will deliver if needed

Fred Smoot

Yeah I’d love to have one. I’d put it up with pride and tell who gave it to me.

RedskinDan0557

I'm glad you are back Fred. Do you feel more at home here in DC, and how do you compare entertainment in DC to the north country?

Fred Smoot

I’ve said it now and I’ll say it again forever, there’s no comparing D.C. to a lot of places. You look around the places in the NFL where you can play. Besides D.C. and maybe one or two other places I don’t think nobody can even compare to us.

Tarhog

I heard Pac Man Jones was going to start a pro wrestling career. If you were ever to join the WWF, what would your wrestling name be?

Fred Smoot

Smack man (laughing).

IonTop

In a no holds barred street fight between every player on the team, who would come out on top?

Fred Smoot

Great question. Hmmmmm. They want one person. If I had to put it on one person I’d have to go with Coach Breaux.

CLOSING STATEMENT

Fred Smoot

I think this is going to be an exciting season. I want everybody to ride with it. I know we’ve been kind of low key for the first time in years in the offseason. We’ve got everybody we need here. I’m just looking forward to seeing your face in the place come Sunday.

IonTop

In a no holds barred street fight between every player on the team, who would come out on top?

Fred Smoot

Quote:

Great question. Hmmmmm. They want one person. If I had to put it on one person I’d have to go with Coach Breaux.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Skinsinparadise

Fred Smoot

It’s like if you go to Yankees Stadium, if you’ve ever been to Yankee Stadium before, it’s the difference between going to Yankee Stadium or going to a Montreal Expos game. It’s just totally different. It’s two different places. It’s night and day. I wouldn’t want to play another game there.[/Quote]

I guess Freddie doesnt follow baseball all that much? The expos? hehe

Of course its different , no one goes to expos games.... anymore :laugh:

Good chat tho! :applause:

Smooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot HTTR!

God I love this guy. I would give anything to see him dominate this year. Nice chat....and great questions....with the exception of the superhero. Certainly we can come up with something a little better. Maybe that street fight question should be it.

Skinsinparadise

Fred Smoot

I guess Freddie doesnt follow baseball all that much? The expos? hehe

Of course its different , no one goes to expos games.... anymore :laugh:

ironic that the expos play in D.C now isn't it :laugh: . Either way, it's awesome to have Smoot back, he's the kind of guy you need, great locker room guy, even better player. You gotta love Fred Smoot.

Great work, Art. It sounds like we got the old Smooty back, the one who gave it everything he had and came back laughing. I remember his last year here, toughing it out with a horribly painful chest bruise and still running his yap.

Smack Man! I love it! :laugh:

Great to have you back, Fred. You should be seeing some of Ted Ginn this weekend. Introduce him to the NFL for us. :evil:

"Do you want a free Christmas tree" made the cut?

Uh. OK.

Depending on my mood and the mood around the team a mix of harder or softer questions get asked. This was pretty soft :). I personally think these chats are fun when you can make the guy have fun with the questions. The balance for Smoot was how loved he was by the fans. That's what was conveyed to him.

I heard Smoot picked up about 20 lbs. He's listed at 190. That means he would have been 170 when he played for us before. That can't be right.

Anyone else heard this? What was his playing weight the first go round?

Either way,Smoot stuck his nose in there to make takles when he was small. The added weight should bode well for him this go round especially if he still has the same speed.

:phinsuck:

Archived