Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Philly Inquirer: Eagles Notes | Considine out to silence his critics

tr1

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/9637212.html

Opening day can't get here fast enough for Sean Considine, and not just because the Eagles are playing in Green Bay against the team his father insisted he root for as a kid.

For Considine, the opener means he gets a chance to silence critics who have questioned his physical prowess as a strong safety ever since he was run over by New Orleans running back Deuce McAllister in the first quarter of last year's NFC divisional playoff game in the Superdome.

"I had one bad play in that game," Considine said. "I missed that tackle. There are people who that's all they want to talk about when they talk to me, but I've moved past that. If other people haven't, that's their problem."

Considine believes he will prove that he is more than capable of handling the starting job he took over from Michael Lewis seven games into last season.

"I think it's going to take one big hit from me, and I'm done with the questions I've been getting every week," Considine said. "I did it in practice; it just hasn't come up in a game yet. I really feel like I need to go out and do that."

Considine believes the questions about him have been raised because he's the new guy in the secondary.

"You're not going to question Lito [sheppard], you're not going to question Sheldon [brown], you're not going to question Brian [Dawkins]," he said. "Who are you going to question? The new guy. I missed a few tackles last year, and I think that's what people remember. They don't remember the 107 other ones I made. That's my problem for doing it. I have to make sure this year I minimize them."

The person who seems to have the most confidence in Considine is the person who matters most.

"I think he's an excellent safety," defensive coordinator Jim Johnson said. "I think he's a guy who can play in the box and who can play deep half. He's very smart, he's one of our leaders, and I expect a good year out of him. I've always said he has a knack for finding the football, and I think it's going to come to light."

Considine would love for that to happen at Lambeau Field.

"I was a Packers fan because of my dad," Considine said. "Back then in my house, you either rooted for the Packers or you didn't eat. We used to go to their home games when they played in Milwaukee at County Stadium."

Return issues

Special-teams coach Rory Segrest said the Eagles still didn't know for sure who would handle the punt- and kick-return duties Sunday.

"Right now, we've got some good options there," Segrest said. "It's just going to be a matter of who we feel the best with going into the game."

The best guess is that wide receiver Greg Lewis will handle punt returns and the recently returned J.R. Reed will be the kick returner.

Extra points

Jevon Kearse (sore shoulder) practiced again in a limited fashion, but Johnson said he was certain his starting left defensive end would be able to play Sunday. Johnson also said he expected Kearse, Juqua Thomas, Trent Cole and Darren Howard to get about equal time at defensive end. . . . Johnson, when asked what he liked about late roster additions Kimo von Oelhoffen and Pago Togafau: "I like their names." :laugh: He said that von Oelhoffen should be a good run-stopper. . . . Offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg confirmed that he will continue calling the plays this season, a role he took over last season. . . . Linebacker Takeo Spikes said he often thought of a quote by Hall of Fame baseball player Joe DiMaggio when he takes the field: "You always want to give a great performance because you never know who's watching for the first time."

Considine may be a good pass defender, not totally sure of that yet, but I am certain that he is the worst tackling SS in the league. Might be the worst pro tackler I've seen..

Gocong is also pretty terrible from what I have seen in the preseason. Especially in space..

The defense was worlds better after Considine replaced Lewis.

I don't mind the criticism of Considine, he does have to get better in run defense. However, I can't stand it when people say they should've kept Lewis. He was terrible in '05 and '06. Joe Horn beat him like a drum, made him look foolish. Amani Toomer ate him alive. The Texans even abused him in wk 1 last season. Lewis was horrible.

Another point is that this is only Considine's 2nd year playing. Let's give the guy some time.

Where did he get 107 tackles, nfl.com has him at 85? Only started 9 games so not bad, but they weren't that memorable. Hopefully they go down, and the linesbacks tackles go up. And I think they will with Gocong.

p.s. I don't know of anyone who is asking for Mike Lewis back. His career started off really nicely and he probably still defends the run better, but is a Trotter-esque player.

Archived