Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Flashback: 2003 Thursday Night Season Opener

fuji869

With the Thursday Night Opener being tonight remember in 2003 when the Redskins had the Thursday Night Season Opener. Washington got it because of the Terrorists attacks on 9-11; New York Giants got the 2002 Thursday Night Season Opener and I think in 2004 it went to the defending Super Bowl Champions.

The Redskins beat the New York Jets 16-13

Patrick Ramsey 17/23 185 yards 1TD 1INT

Ladell Betts 18 rushes for 77 yards

Laveranues Coles 5 Rec for 106 yards

We opened with a win in a season filled with high expectations going into Steve Spurrier’s Second Season.

:jump:

Ramsey started off 11/12 in that game and looked like the 2nd coming of Dan Marino

The one thing we all knew wasn't good that game was the pass protection. Gave up 4 sacks

Ramsey did get the horse trailer with his 23 yard run on the final drive which set up the game winning FG

Lots of optimism after that game

With the Thursday Night Opener being tonight remember in 2003 when the Redskins had the Thursday Night Season Opener. Washington got it because of the Terrorists attacks on 9-11; New York Giants got the 2002 Thursday Night Season Opener and I think in 2004 it went to the defending Super Bowl Champions.

The Redskins beat the New York Jets 16-13

Patrick Ramsey 17/23 185 yards 1TD 1INT

Ladell Betts 18 rushes for 77 yards

Laveranues Coles 5 Rec for 106 yards

We opened with a win in a season filled with high expectations going into Steve Spurrier’s Second Season.

:jump:

We also won 3 of 4 that culminated on us beating the Pats in the 4th week of the season. After that it was all downhill until the hiring of Gibbs in the first week of January.

Week 1 Sep 4 W 16-13 vs New York Jets

Week 2 Sep 14 W 33-31 at Atlanta Falcons

Week 3 Sep 21 L 24-21 vs New York Giants (OT)

Week 4 Sep 28 W 20-17 vs New England Patriots

Damn, what the hell happened? The only other wins came with that crazy Rod Gardner pass play vs the Seahawks and then a blowout of the Giants in December. Most of the games win or loss were decided by 3 points or less.

Of course, I am glad in retrospect that season did fall apart or else we wouldn't have Gibbs back.

I remember that game vividly. I thought we had such promise. We went on to 3-1, I believe, before we started to suck it up.

Pre-toe issue Coles was a force to be reckoned with.

I really got pumped when we beat the Patriots to go 3-1 and then the bottom feel out to a bismal 5-11. I remember Tom Jackson saying before the first game against the Jets that "The Redskins have to win this game if they were going to have a good season". Oh well, so much for that theory.

Lots of love for Betts in that thread.:cool:

I liked Betts five years ago before it was cool too. I wasn't much of fan years ago but I took notice of him at the one otherwise rather boring game I went to before I took the '03 and '04 seasons off in terms of going to games.

I aim for 4 games a year now and this weekend will be my 2nd opener.:helmet:

Archived