Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Recently drafted quarterbacks footballoutsiders projections

Since 1997 seven quarterbacks who started fewer than 30 games in college have been drafted in the top ten: Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Michael Vick, David Carr, Joey Harrington, Alex Smith. Who’s the best player on that list? Michael Vick? Alex Smith? I don’t even know. All I know is that list does not leave me saying, “I gotta get me some of that.”

Here is the complete list of players drafted in first two rounds over the past ten years who started at least 35 games and completed at least 57 percent of their passes: Peyton Manning, Donovan McNabb, Daunte Culpepper, Chad Pennington, Drew Brees, Carson Palmer, Byron Leftwich, Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, Jason Campbell, Matt Leinart and Jay Cutler.

Are there any bad players on that list? The worst according to my numbers is Eli Manning, and he’s been decent (maybe not up to expectations, but decent).

Im not totally sold on this but for what its worth ill post their projections of recently drafted quarterbacks for you to ruminate over.

1. Phillip Rivers

2. Kevin Kolb

3. Jason Campbell

4. Matt Leinart

5. Ben Roethlisberger

6. John Beck

7. Brady Quinn

8. Jay Cutler

9. Drew Stanton

10. Eli Manning

11. Vince Young

12. Kellen Clemens

13. Aaron Rodgers

14. Jamarcus Russell

15. Tarvaris Jackson

16. Alex Smith

17. J.P. Losman

Couple of things to note are that this only grades as a passer so Vince Youngs running ability is ignored. Also the distance between each varies. For example there was a sizable drop from Clemens to Rodgers whereas the gap between Quinn and Beck was practically non existent.

footballoutsides.com

Kolb at 2 without ever throwing an NFL pass. And i'm guessing they aren't taking ole' David Klingler or Andre Ware into account, even though he's coming out of the same university and a similar(although not the run and shoot) gimmick offense where he was out of the shotgun almost 100% of the time.

EDIT: btw, I think this should be in ATN

there's seven name's on that list that have never taken a regular season snap. Maybe I don't understand what the list is ranking.

its ranking qbs based on their college stats the # of games they started + their completion %

you cant argue against those projected qbs

rivers right now is the best QB out of that list

only qbs who came close to busts are culpepper and leftwich who arent even bad.

its ranking qbs based on their college stats the # of games they started + their completion %

you cant argue against those projected qbs

rivers right now is the best QB out of that list

only qbs who came close to busts are culpepper and leftwich who arent even bad.

In that case I wonder why Carson Palmer isn't on it.

In that case I wonder why Carson Palmer isn't on it.

Here is the complete list of players drafted in first two rounds over the past ten years who started at least 35 games and completed at least 57 percent of their passes: Peyton Manning, Donovan McNabb, Daunte Culpepper, Chad Pennington, Drew Brees, Carson Palmer, Byron Leftwich, Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, Jason Campbell, Matt Leinart and Jay Cutler.

:doh:

btw the list is only rating recently drafted qbs not proven vets like manning brees and palmer.

Archived