Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Betts

Drunken Master III

Can we all get this through our thick skulls. Listening to SportsTalk980 is starting to kill me. What makes anyone think that Betts is better than Portis. The stats simply do not support it. When you look at the running game you have to insert QB play, offensive line play, and play calling into the equation. Brunell in the game= 8 men in the box automatically. Jason Campbell in the game= 7 or less. When you can't throw down the field why even cover it. When Betts shined the most Jason was the QB and when Portis was in it was Brunell with the line stacked. We will all see the difference that a competent QB can make this season. Other teams knew that if they could contain Moss, the only other real threat would be Portis. One caller called in to say that Portis will be a bust this season and Betts wouldn't. That put me over the top. Betts is a great BACK-UP. Portis is a great STARTER.

Until CP puts up some big numbers the talk will continue...I'm expecting to never hear anything about this argument again after week 1...

Then again if we did would it really be that bad?

All it would mean is that we have two great RBs. I have never personally considered Betts to be on Portis' level but if he is hopefully it means Betts has elevated his play rather than Portis has lost a step.....we will see on Sunday.

If Portis gets the running lanes Betts had the second half of last year, these comparisons will end quickly. CP will be running for 150+ weekly if we pick up where we left off last year. CP has one injury plagued year and now everyone wants to write him off. He is only 26 yrs. old.

I've never understood the man love for Portis. Portis is good but you can't deny Betts had a good season with 1154 yards on 245 carries last year. I'm not saying Betts is better but >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> doesn't make any sense to me.

betts had a very good year, but hes still not very good. our Oline was responsible for most of his runs. if he was so good, he wouldnt have signed a peanuts contract, and he'd be out on the open market trying to get a starting job, most likely like michael turner will do next year.

Only a few severely delusional fans think Betts is better than Portis. There is no argument in terms of ability or performance.

There is an argument in terms of what is best for the team.

If Portis cannot return to the level he has shown he is capable of, Betts work load should increase. If Portis develops into a malcontent, he should be distanced from his position of influence.

Portis >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Betts

That's excessive. I have no problem with saying Portis is better than Betts. But its not by much.

You make it sound like comparing Portis to Betts is like comparing Tomlinson to Trung Candidate. It's not.

If we were giving ratings out of 100, I'd give Portis a 91 and Betts an 87.

My position with respect to Portis is that, yeah, Portis (91) is better than Betts (87), but I think Betts is better for the team. I'd rather have Betts and get something nice for Portis. I can win with Betts. Portis isn't worth the headaches he causes. We could get something for him and I'd rather have (Betts + the starter we can get for Portis) over (Portis on the field and Betts on the bench).

two words: Jason Campbell

So a 'rookie', uproven QB with serious accuracy problems struck more fear into the hearts of other teams than a guy who set the record for most completed passes in a row earlier in the season?

Teams were more likey to key on the run when it was Brunell than Campbell?

Archived