Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vela: Step outside the Vacuuum

DeMarco Murray 29

Step Outside the Vacuum By Rafael Vela

www.theboysblog.com

I first started blogging about the Cowboys back in ‘95 and ‘96. Nobody called it blogging then but it was the same thing. I remember vividly the calls of gloom and doom each of those offseasons. The salary cap era had begun the year before and the Cowboys, with the youngest and deepest roster in the game, were watching their backups and some of their less valued starters walk away. Mark Stepnoski, Tony Casillas, Jimmie Jones, James Washington, Dixon Edwards, Alvin Harper — all gone.

The cries from the press and many fans was deafening. Dallas was doomed! Dallas is dead!

I pointed out something then that bears repeating. You can’t evaluate the Cowboys in a vacuum. They don’t play themselves each week. Those championship teams were weaker than they had been the year before, but what about the teams they were facing? How did they match up? Did they get better, weaker or the same? The ‘95 Cowboys were weaker top to bottom than the ‘94 team but won it all because they dropped off less than the ‘49ers that year and were still better than the Packers.

I think we need to look at that standard again. The Cowboys are facing some injury issues. Terence Newman’s status is up the air. We don’t know which way Tony Romo sits to pee’s career will turn. We may have seen the last of Greg Ellis.

That said, let’s compare the Cowboys in September ‘07 to the Cowboys of January ‘06, which lost to Seattle. While we’re at it, let’s compare the ‘06 Giants to the ‘07 version.

On point number one, let’s start with the defense. Will this year’s front seven be better than last year’s? I think so. Lets being with one fact — neither D had Ellis. Last year’s team had Demarcus Ware moving around to give him free lanes. This year, he’ll have a more aggressive scheme to help him out. He’ll have more partners in pass rushing crime, as Akin Ayodele, Bradie James, Kevin Burnett and Bobby Carpenter look much fitter and faster.

I said “show me” when James complained the LBs were too heavy next year and I have to say he showed me. They’re all much faster as a group. James in particular looks like a different player. Anthony Spencer, green and confused as he is, is nevertheless on the roster and will likely earn more playing time.

On the line, Chris Canty looked better in the new scheme. Jason Hatcher is a year older and looks ready to add to the rush.

In the secondary, Dallas had a one-legged Anthony Henry, an out-of-position Roy Williams and a revolving door at free safety. Only Terence Newman was healthy.

This year, he’s the question mark. Henry is healthy, Ken Hamlin upgrades the free and Williams will play where he belongs, closer to the box.

Newman’s injured foot affects two spots, because he’s Dallas’ slot corner in the nickel and dime packages. A healthy Newman would make this defense much better. Still, the overall talent is better overall this year.

On offense, there’s continuity on the offensive line, plus and upgrade with Leonard Davis over Marco Rivera. Dallas is better at fullback and deeper at tight end, where Anthony Fasano looks much improved. Terry Glenn has been missed and will be missed if he’s not ready Sunday night. He will be back soon, however and the offense won’t be any worse than they were in January.

As for the Giants, they’ve got injury issues and personnel problems of their own. They have a new defensive coordinator, who’s made some interesting personnel moves. Last year’s top pick Mathius Kiwanuka, has been shifted from DE to strong outside linebacker, a position he’s never played. They’re going with a new free safety, as James Butler replaces the waived Will Demps, their starter last year.

And of course, there’s the Strahan nonsense.

On offense, they’ve lost Tiki Barber. Their WRs are old — Amani Toomer — and questionable — Plaxico Burress. They’re playing a converted left guard at left tackle. The Giants are nervous about their backup QBs, with Jared Lorenzen on deck should something happen to Eli Manning.

On special teams, the Giants were giving tryouts to field goal kickers and snappers today.

Step outside the vacuum folks. When you look at the Cowboys’ problems in contrast to their rivals’, they don’t seem too bad. They’re real, but they’re not unique

As for the Giants, they’ve got injury issues and personnel problems of their own. They have a new defensive coordinator, who’s made some interesting personnel moves. Last year’s top pick Mathius Kiwanuka, has been shifted from DE to strong outside linebacker, a position he’s never played. They’re going with a new free safety, as James Butler replaces the waived Will Demps, their starter last year.

Interesting. The Giants' turnover at DC and with players on defense is a negative (or, at best, a question mark) for them, but, for the Cowboys, it's a positive since the Cowboys upgraded the coaching and personnel. Got it :thumbsup:.

At the end of the day, the entire premise for Cowboy improvement is based on the theory that Parcells and his staff were holding the team back and that Phillips and the rest of Jerry's staff will be a substantive upgrade over what was in place previously.

That's it. You have to buy into that premise. Additionally, The new coaching staff has to be even that much better to compensate for the certain diminished effectiveness of Newman, unquestionably the linchpin to their defense (and probably the only Cowboy defender I'm certain could start for the 'Skins, unless Ware could transistion to DE and become stouter against the run).

It is amazing to me that people are taking this as a given. :confused:

Interesting. The Giants' turnover at DC and with players on defense is a negative (or, at best, a question mark) for them, but, for the Cowboys, it's a positive since the Cowboys upgraded the coaching and personnel. Got it :thumbsup:.

I was thinking the same thing while reading it.

"Anthony Spencer, green and confused as he is, is nevertheless on the roster and will likely earn more playing time."

Seriously, this is a positive? He admits he's green and confused but then says it's a positive that he'll be on the field a lot. Did we mention that he is also trying to learn a new position which should confuse Mathius Kiwanuka but not Spencer. Gotcha.

At the end of the day, the entire premise for Cowboy improvement is based on the theory that Parcells and his staff were holding the team back and that Phillips and the rest of Jerry's staff will be a substantive upgrade over what was in place previously.

That's it. You have to buy into that premise. Additionally, The new coaching staff has to be even that much better to compensate for the certain diminished effectiveness of Newman, unquestionably the linchpin to their defense (and probably the only Cowboy defender I'm certain could start for the 'Skins, unless Ware could transistion to DE and become stouter against the run).

It is amazing to me that people are taking this as a given. :confused:

That is exactly what the Dallas fans think, it doesn't help that the national media build the cowboys up like they do every year. The problem is that the cowboys fans see what happened in NO last year and assume that it will happen again. They fail to see that a new coach and new schemes usually don't translate into instant success. NO's last year was an exception to the rule.

I see a lot of similarities between the Cowboys this year and the skins last year.

1. Both teams are coming off a promising season with very similar situations.

2. Both teams had key members of their D injured to start the season.

Coaching

1. New coaches all around for them, new offense coordinator for us.

2. More laid back player friendly offseason then what they were used to / same as we had last offseason.

3. Most importantly the players seem to be giving their coaches a lot of praise (until recently). I remember the skins giving our coaches a lot of praise about the new systems and such last preseason.

4. Expectations where too high for us last year all around from the organization, players, fans, and media. Dallas is the same this year.

Offense

1. They still have new coaches that where not chosen by the head coach so there may be some clashes of style like we saw with JG and Saunders. (speculation but it is possilbe)

Overall on offense they are much more capable to absorb the changes then we were last year.

Defense

1. New pressure scheme for their D based on blitzes from the LB's and secondary. - Very similar to the type of D Greg W runs here in DC.

2. Their number 1 corner will have a season long nagging injury.

3. They have a all or nothing type safety who will be forced to do try to overcompensate or help the CB's out.

4. They have another Safety who is suppose to be the savior of the D brought in threw FA. A safety whom belonged to a team who did not want him anymore because of deminishing skills. A safety who played for a fan base that I have not seen one post in support of that player or stating he would be missed. All I have seen is posts about how he used to be and that it is ashame he got hit in the head with a pipe.

5. The fans are assuming that the pressure D will make up for lack of coverage ability and that you scheme to "protect your corners" (Sound familiar).

6. Virtually no pass rush from the DL.

Anywho what i read (yes i read but don't post) on Dallas boards is a lot like I saw on the skins boards before the Minnesota game.

Just my :2cents:

We shall see.

You, my friend, have summed up puke fan 'logic.'

:laugh:

Archived