Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anthony Montgomery A Starter ???

jsteelz

To me Monty is the natural choice as an early down DT and a better compliment to Griffin. He's a better run stopper than Kedric, but still has the strength to push the pocket. He did it in preseason last year, but apparently didn't have the conditioning to be relied upon to do so for an entire game. Now he does, after an offseason spent in the gym.

This also puts Kedric in a position that better suits his talents as well, as he would then be used more often on passing downs where his style is more effective. Don't forget that he was a major liability against the run at times last year.

To me Monty is the natural choice as an early down DT and a better compliment to Griffin. He's a better run stopper than Kedric, but still has the strength to push the pocket. He did it in preseason last year, but apparently didn't have the conditioning to be relied upon to do so for an entire game. Now he does, after an offseason spent in the gym.

This also puts Kedric in a position that better suits his talents as well, as he would then be used more often on passing downs where his style is more effective. Don't forget that he was a major liability against the run at times last year.

Not surprised by this. I think this post sums up my thoughts. Also, I am not sure how much I trust the depth chart posted on redskins.com.

I'm not sure how accurate those charts are, but it could very well be true with way he has played thus far in the preseason. I'm impressed and it's great that he's made such strides. Another solid day two pick.

Monty and Griff could be a real force on the inside and exactly what this line needs. Pressure from the inside begets pressure from the outside where hopefully Andre among others can do some real damage.

The thing I noticed during the preseason was that Griff was a 3-tech, Montgomery was a 1-tech, and Golston switched between the two. I'm not sure who the starter will be, but I can guaruntee we will see at some point during games Mont at the 1 and Golston at the 3. I still think Golston will start at 1 but switch to 3 to spell Griffin. Basically we have three solid guys right now for two spots.

Monty deserves it!

He had a great preseason by ripping through the line. He didn't make every tackle, but he caused enough disturbance to ruin an offensive play.

Congrats Monty! Now just keep it up for the regular season! :applause:

Montgomery 6'6 315

Golston 6'4 320

I fail to see the huge size difference.

Also, Preseason Stats aren't jaw dropping

Montomery 5 Total tackles 2 Solo in 4 preseason games.

Golston 5 Total tackles 2 Solo in 4 Preaseason games

Interesting observation... By the same logic:

Marcus Stroud 6'6 310

252 Total Tackles 194 solo and 19 sacks in 91 total regular season games...

not jaw dropping for regular season games. I guess this guy isn't that good either.

BTW, not that this is indicative of where these players are, but let's look at rookie seasons:

Stroud - 25 total tackles, 21 solo, 0 sacks, 3 PDs... 16 games

Golston - 44 total tackles, 33 solo, .5 sacks, 3 PDs... 16 games

Montgomery - 9 total tackles, 6 solo, .5 sacks, 0 PDs... 5 games

I don't think we have much to worry about with these two players at this point in their career, regardless of who starts.

I don't see what the suprise is... Did you watch any of the preseason games?

The guy was hands down our best defensive lineman, dominating all that tried to block him.

He will be the suprise of the year and the reason why our run defense improves.

Man, I believe you wholeheartedly. I only wish I could have seen more than one of the preseason games on my DirectTV. I knew Montgomery had improved but this is great news if he is now a starter. Plus I believe Golston will be in there quite a bit anyways.

Redundant observation.

It is AWESOME that we finally found some late round starters, especially in an area of such crucial need. Imagine the nightmare we'd be looking at if neither of these guys had panned out. Now with a few draft picks we have a fairly solid line again.

Man, is it awesome to build through the late rounds of the draft for once!!!!!!!!!!!

Interesting thing about that depth chart... everything else looks extremely accurate. I was under the impression that Golston was the starter, but perhaps it is Montgomery. That can only be good news, I think, considering that we know the coaches thought enough of Golston to start him at one point.

Archived