Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sirius 2-minute drill: Redskins actively pursuing WR Doug Gabriel

RedskinsSuperBowl21

I ve watched him a lot on nfl sunday ticket bc my dad is a huge raiders fan. Big receiver. Very good at returning kicks. Pretty fast. Runs good routes. I think he would be a great addition. And just bc the pats and raiders didnt want him doesnt mean he isnt good. They are just deeper at receiver than we are.

If you went to UCF and don't remember him you must not have attended any of the games. He was a stud at UCF and has skills that we need in a receiver. Doesn't hurt to bring him in for a look since he has proven to be a decent NFL receiver and his size helps us in situational formations in the red zone.

You're right. I guess ... I attended UCF back in the 80s and I go to Gator games MUCH more than I go to UCF games. I've been a Gator fan and Gator game attender since about 1965. The name Doug Gabriel doesn't stand out for me. Sorry.

I don't know. He was traded to the Pats by the raiders, released by the Pats, went back to the raiders and then released. I don't have a whole lot of faith in this guy coming in. I guess if the raiders won't take him, what does that say about him? I could be wrong, but it doesn't sound like an ability issue, but possibly that he is not a locker room guy? I don't know, I just don't have a good feeling about it.

He plays special teams, the Patriots cut him because they have a logjam at receiver, and Oakland cut him because they're stupid. A 5th Wide receiver that comes for the minimum and plays good special teams and has produced and is over 6 feet tall is a great signing in my book. Unless he's a complete jackass off the field I don't see any risk in this signing.

I honestly wouldn't rush into this decision. Its one that I wouldn't be opposed to, but I think that better people will become avaliable this saturday after the cuts. After reading a few bios of Gabriel, I'm willing to bet that he's just an inconsistent WR with lots of potential but little work ethic and ability to stay healthy. At least lloyd was healthy last year. If the guy can just learn to catch the 7 yard in route, he may develop into a decent WR.

He plays special teams, the Patriots cut him because they have a logjam at receiver, and Oakland cut him because they're stupid. A 5th Wide receiver that comes for the minimum and plays good special teams and has produced and is over 6 feet tall is a great signing in my book. Unless he's a complete jackass off the field I don't see any risk in this signing.

The Pats cut Gabriel LAST year when their wide receiver corps was in shambles.

Fine. We should go out and sign the 6'-6" kid who played at the local JuCo before we sign this worthless bag of crap. I'm sick and tired of signing the cast offs from a team that I absolutely hate on a truly deep level and believe does everything the wrong way.

I'll leave it at this... He'd be another Redskins player that I could not and would not root for.

He played for the Patriots for one season:doh:

You can't condemn someone just because of where they work. That's just childish. You really think he made any decisions while he warmed the bench for a season? :laugh:

You don't go sign an unknown talent from Juco before signing a known NFL player. :rolleyes:

If you went to UCF and don't remember him you must not have attended any of the games. He was a stud at UCF and has skills that we need in a receiver. Doesn't hurt to bring him in for a look since he has proven to be a decent NFL receiver and his size helps us in situational formations in the red zone.

Yea, UCF is just a football factory:laugh:. Actually name someone OTHER than Pep that came out of UCF and is having a decent NFL career.....

*cricket*

Searched for this...

I heard it about 12pm today during Sirius Satellite Radio's 2 minute drill.

Can anyone give insight on Gabriel?

Does this cause concern about the confidence the coaches have in our current recieving corps?

Being from near the U of Miami could our current players be making a case for him?

http://www.nfl.com/players/douggabriel/profile?id=GAB606060

Being the homer I am, I would LOVE to have Dougie. He played at my alma mater, the University of Central Florida, and his quarterback for the most part was Daunte Culpepper. He is big, decent speed and good hands. He would be a great possession receiver and I say we go for it without giving up more than a sixth round pick.

Yea, UCF is just a football factory:laugh:. Actually name someone OTHER than Pep that came out of UCF and is having a decent NFL career.....

*cricket*

hmm, i dunno ASANTE SAMUEL!!!!!!!!!

Kenyatta Walker (not doin well now)

Brandon Marshall, WR for the Broncos, #2 receiver on the team

Mike Walker, WR for the Jags that can actually catch the ball

just a few.

He was a stud at UCF. We played Penn State on ESPN in 2001 or 2002 I believe and it was a close game, due to two HUGE TD's by Doug Gabriel.

Scouting Report: Doug Gabriel

Doug Gabriel

Doug Gabriel

By Tony Pauline- TFY Draft Preview

Posted Oct 15, 2002

Highly coveted as a senior in high school, Doug Gabriel originally signed on with the University of Miami but life took him in another direction. He eventually found his way back to the state of Florida and now, as a senior for Central Florida University, is making loud noises as he meets the expectations many had for him.

Full Name: Doug Gabriel School: Central Florida

Ht: 6-2 Wt: 198 40: 4.48

Year: 4Sr Number: 11

Stats/ Bio:

2001: Played in 10 games and finished with 22/632/28.7/9 after enrolling at UCF in January. Also had 6/163/8.1 on kick returns.

2000: Set records at Mississippi Gulf Coast CC for touchdowns (17) and points (104) accounting for 1,206 all-purpose yards. Named all-region and South Division Offensive MVP. Also named second-team All-American by JC Gridwire.

Scouting Report:

The Good: Athletic receiver with good size/speed numbers and a player starting to take his game to the next level. Big, strong yet fast and a deep threat that stretches the defense, beating opponents down the field. Generally catches the ball well and adding the element of being able to make the difficult catch in a crowd.

The Bad: Needs to improve his route running skills and overall focus as occasionally he'll drop the easy pass.

The Skinny: Turning it up as a senior and caught more passes during the initial four games of 2002 then he did all of last season. The arrow is pointing up and as a result, he is moving up draft boards. Combine workouts are critical.

The Skinny: Needs to improve the details of his game but a terrific prospect overshadowed by other skill players on the CU roster. Still, a player with definite potential for the next level.

Archived