Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sirius 2-minute drill: Redskins actively pursuing WR Doug Gabriel

RedskinsSuperBowl21

This just shows the coaches have little to no confidence in Lloyd. The only reason we didn't cut Lloyd is all the guaranteed money we gave him. People wonder why we can't extend Cooley, stuff like this is part of the reason.

College Career

Two-year letterman at Central Florida, finishing his career with 97 receptions for 1,869 yards (19.3 avg) and 20 touchdowns, adding 52 yards and a score on seven reverses (7.4 avg) and 795 yards on 37 kickoff returns (21.5 avg) ... His 1,869 yards receiving rank ninth on the school's career-record list while his 20 scoring grabs rank fifth ... His average of 19.3 yards per catch is topped only by one player in UCF annals ... His 795 yards on kickoff returns places him sixth on the school's all-time record chart while his 2,716 all-purpose yards rank ninth ... Business major.

Personal Bio

Born in Miami, Florida and attended Dr. Phillips High School in Orlando ... Caught 31 passes for 16 touchdowns and averaged better than 25 yards per catch as a senior, earning All-State and All-Conference honors ... Returned two kicks and two punts for touchdowns.

Won't cost you a draft pick, the Raidahs cut him.

This guy had 5 receptions as a Patriot last year. I gotta wonder what the problem was. The glut of talent at WR in front of him? Bad quarterbacking? Run-first offense? :whoknows:

He had a total of 30 receptions last year. Twenty five as a Patriot, five as a Raider.

Doug Gabriel is your prototypical Raider receiver: a raw speed merchant who can get down the field. I remember after he was drafted that they had big expectations for him, but he never quite met those expectations.

The guy is a career 15+ YPC guy. He's very much worth picking up as a 5th receiver.

Jason

He had a total of 30 receptions last year. Twenty five as a Patriot, five as a Raider.

That's right. I misread the stats on NFL.com. Still, the Pats cut this guy and made Reche Caldwell the focal point of the passing game. Are those guys just dumb, or what?

Doug Gabriel is your prototypical Raider receiver: a raw speed merchant who can get down the field. I remember after he was drafted that they had big expectations for him, but he never quite met those expectations.

The guy is a career 15+ YPC guy. He's very much worth picking up as a 5th receiver.

Jason

As per NFL.com he has had 3 total catches in his career over 40 yards. Hardly seems like a guy who stretches the field.

THis is from http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2007/08/a_little_review.html?nav=rss_blog

One other thing. It's kind of late in the game, but don't rule out the Skins showing some interest in WR Doug Gabriel who was cut by Oakland this week. Right now they really only have 4 WRs worth keeping, and that's not a bad way to go (no sense keeping a 5th just because), but Gabriel has some size has done some nice things and I heard that the Skins and Raiders spoke about a possible trade this summer before the Redskins ended up bringing in Pinkston and bunch of other longshots.

I love Doug's website.

http://www.douggabriel.com/

:laugh:

You linking the site and me clicking on it are probably the most hits he's had on that horrible site to date.

As it relates to the source of this, I think that they may be referencing the JLC blog yesterday, http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/ which, to me, read as more speculation than anything.

It wouldn't be a bad move to bring him aboard, however I'd like to see who else becomes available after cuts this weekend. I've heard Kelly Washington and possibly some big names like Chambers, Clayton and Williams. They were reported as trade possibilites so there may be a chance, albeit slim, that they find themselves on the FA market after Saturday.

id really like thrash as our #4, i dont know why everyone is always ragging on the guy. ive seen nothing but solid play from him, he was a beast on the eagles and theres no reason he couldnt produce in our system as a situational receiver on spread packages.

James Thrash was a "beast" in Philly? How do you define "beast?" His best season there was his first when he had around 800 yards and 8 tds. And that was like 6 years ago. He was part of the infamous "Stinkston and Trash" duo that got ran out of town.

I love the guy too...he's all hustle, makes a few clutch catches each year, and isn't afraid of contact.

But let's not be too biased. The FO thought they didn't need a possesion receiver, or they thought Lloyd could do it. Wrong. Unless Gabriel is some kind of a head case I don't mind giving him a look.

James Thrash was a "beast" in Philly? How do you define "beast?" His best season there was his first when he had around 800 yards and 8 tds. And that was like 6 years ago. He was part of the infamous "Stinkston and Trash" duo that got ran out of town.

I love the guy too...he's all hustle, makes a few clutch catches each year, and isn't afraid of contact.

But let's not be too biased. The FO thought they didn't need a possesion receiver, or they thought Lloyd could do it. Wrong. Unless Gabriel is some kind of a head case I don't mind giving him a look.

Don't forget his special teams ability as well.... IMHO, the skins should never have let thrash go to the eagles in the first place...

Archived