Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Proposed Redskins/Falcons Trade

AmeriplanDentalMan

How does that help Joe Gibbs when he wants to retire next season? He wants to make the playoffs and go to the Superbowl NOW. So...how does drafting a ROOKIE who won't start in 2008, and won't start until 2009, how does that help the Redskins THIS year? I don't understand your logic.

Coach Gibbs knew he left the 'Skins in pretty bad shape in '93. He doesn't want to do that a second time.

Trading a first for a guy who missed a ton of time when we could actually use it next year on the O-Line or D-Line... ? That's just stupid.

I believe he said Brunell, a 3rd round pick and a 7th round pick. :doh: I don't know why you would think that Brunell and a 7th round pick has no value.

What is mark brunell worth? i would say nothing better than a 5th round draft pick.

Abraham is a gamebreaker, albeit he has had some injury troubles.

Abraham will be around for a while, and Brunell will be done after this year, heck he's already way past his prime as it is.

Think, why would ATL make this trade?

If they offered us a 3rd, a 7th and a 37 year old washed up LG for Andre Carter would you do that trade?

ATL gave up a first round pick for John Abraham, they wouldn't accept anything less than Brunell, a 2nd round pick and a 6th for Abraham.

Just because they need a QB doesn't mean they will mortgage the future

Why didn't you suggest we trade a can of pickles and an 8th round draft pick for Abraham since you already acknowledge that they wouldn't go for your deal. Its rediculous to suggest they will let go of a potential all pro for a 3rd round pick or a 7th round pick.

What I suggested is a REAL trade not a fantasy trade. You act like its a take it or leave it situation...when the Redskins have absolutely ZERO pass rush. Let me repeat that. The Redskins have ZERO pass rush without blitzing NOBDY can get to the QB. Abraham would give us a serious threat and you don't get something unless you give up something. a 3rd round pick???? You are rediculous.

Lets see we gave up one of the best cornerbacks of all time AND a 2nd round pick for an overrated running back. Maybe the biggest hose job in the last 10 years.

The Patriots were able to get a first round pick for an undersized overrated wide reciever.

Not so sure why we shouldnt try to use our leverage for a team desperately in need of help at the qb position for an oft injured aging defensive end.

We have been on the wrong side of so many deals that our fans don't even realize that maybe we can do the slighting.

By the way you are rIdiculous

Can the mods do something about this? Why have this turned into another BRUNELL thread. I started a real thread, a new topic, about a definite need on our Redskins and suddenly the Brunell haters have entered my thread and won't stop with the out-with-Brunell stuff. Why not take every one of thee Brunell posts and stick them where they belong....in the "Brunell to Atlanta" thread and send these guys a message that they should not clutter up EVERY thread with the word BRUNELL.

Theres rumors swirling around everywhere about a possible Brunnell to ATL trade.

You start a thread about a trade to ATL.

What do you expect?

The Falcons season is already over. If they start thinking about next season and beyond they will need a franchise QB. How about we send our #1 pick and possibly a future pick and they send us John Abraham.

We could use a pass rusher that will be effective for 2 or 3 more years and they certainly are going to need draft picks to position themselves to take the best QB in the draft.

Now that Vick's salary will be a non factor, they can take the cap hit when they trade Abraham. The Redskins have no pass rushers currently and cannot get to the QB without blitzing. This trade would allow Gibbs to strengthen a weakness on his team and give the Falcons hope for the future.

Okay. Speaking as someone who lives in the Atlanta area and hears the sports talk down here and all about the Falcons most days, especially recently, Vick's salary is still a factor. They will keep him on their roster through next year at the latest as that will have the smallest cap hit for them. More than likely they will attempt to get some of the money back as well. Why would we send a 1st round pick, possibly more, for a player that has yet to play a whole season without getting injured and sitting out games. While Abraham is good, he is always (ask any jet fan too), always hurt.

Wait...is this Vinny actually, it sounds like a proposal our FO would actually make.

Darrell Green retired a Redskins.

Didn't say THE best I said one of.

And yes Champ Bailey will go down as one of the best ever as much as everyone here doesn't want to admit it.

As for Clinton Portis? In twenty years he'll be known as a pretty good running back.

So who is to say we cant drive a hard bargain?

EDIT: This is my opinion about Clinton Portis and I only brought it up in relation to the thread and getting hosed on trades. Plaese do not come at me telling me how wrong I am about Portis and why I'm wrong about him, and turn this into another Portis vs. Betts thread. Thanks.

They are going to have a better #1 than we are, so I don't know why they would trade for our #1. The only realistic trades we should be entertaining are for a solid OG with experience. We aren't going to get a starting caliber DE unless we give up high draft picks.....

If Atl has a solid OG they are willing to trade for Brunell, a 6/7 rounder, or another backup player, then I might be interested....

Can the mods do something about this? Why have this turned into another BRUNELL thread. I started a real thread, a new topic, about a definite need on our Redskins and suddenly the Brunell haters have entered my thread and won't stop with the out-with-Brunell stuff. Why not take every one of thee Brunell posts and stick them where they belong....in the "Brunell to Atlanta" thread and send these guys a message that they should not clutter up EVERY thread with the word BRUNELL.

Newsflash buddy....this is not a real thread, a new topic or a need on our Redskins....

The Abraham issue was discussed ad naseum when it was actually a possibility.....

Trading several draft picks, including next years #1 pick, for a DE on a defense that has returned to it's 05 form two weeks before the start of the season is not only an unreal scenario it's stupid....

The coaches have said repeatedly they DO NOT feel the D-Line is an area of need on this team....while you may feel differently your opinion means nothing.....

I mentioned Brunell only because he was brought up as possible trade bait in your thread...and in all honestly the Brunell trade would make more sense than your ridiculous notion of trading our #1 pick....we would actually get some value for brunell before he is released....

And are you seriously asking the mods to step in? Somebody give this guy a timeout

Trading Brunell would be a HUGE mistake. I'm not saying Campbell is going to get injured but didn't that play in the pre season teach us anything? Anyone can get injured on any play. May as well have a QB who is familiar with the offense, the players, the coaches, and the organization with a little gas left in his tank than a washed up hasn't thrown a pass in the NFL since god knows when

C'mon guys. You want the man who set a NFL record for consecutive passes last year or a man who hasn't even thrown a pass in ages.

First off the thred title should be changed, as it is NOT a proposed trade, but your thoughts. So it's misleading and somewhat from right field and does not make sense.

Secondly, one guy does not make a team. I don't know why everyone thinks Atlanta is in great need of a QB. Maybe depth but give Harrington a chance. He was a highly ranked qb coming out of college and drafted/played for a BAD team. I am willing to bet that Atlanta could be a surprise team because most people are counting them out. Why? because of not having Vick? They have a new coach and new ideas. Their defense should be good.

Last but not least. no, no, no, no. Do not trade our picks. This trade is not in our favour. Our line will be solid baring injuries. And keep Brunell, he's good insurance if need be. Let the haters hate, but he's staying with us, which is all good to me.

Why don't you and Cerrato go make man love?

Keep our draft picks, and draft a DE, hopefully one high and one low rounder. First 3 picks, a DE, G, WR, then DE, OL, and whatever else might be available.

At some point, we have to develop through the draft. Panick-trades like this are the problem. Especially when our defensive is showing promise.

Continually panicking and trading oodles of picks for aging, ineffective, injury-prone stars with excessive contracts is what got us into the mess of the last decade.

How about we send our #1 pick and possibly a future pick and they send us John Abraham.

The Redskins have no pass rushers currently and cannot get to the QB without blitzing. This trade would allow Gibbs to strengthen a weakness on his team and give the Falcons hope for the future.

That sounds awesome. We desperately need a good rushing end. Don't know about a number 1 though. How about Portis and a 3rd round pick for Abraham?

How about we stop looking at the D since it looks like they'll be a beast and turn our attention for a trade for an OL?

My friend I would love our defense to be a beast but here is what I think. Our defense has a hard time stopping the pass. Yes we will stuff the run, but we will always be giving up that deep pass or 3rd down pass that will eventually lose the game for us. Its what happened in the last playoff game we had, and it happened this past weekend. We just can't seem to keep teams from moving downfield because of that 3rd down pass. and WHY is that? ITS BECAUSE WE HAVE NO PASS RUSH.

Thats just a fact. You can review last season to view our pathetic sack totals....you can review our first 2 preseason games to review how many sacks we got...none. You are under a false impression that just because you can stop the run, the defense is a beast. NO. It is not. Its a beast against the run and its a mild mannered puppy dog against the pass.

This team could actually be a Superbowl defense if it had a pass rusher. That was my point in starting this thread. Yes its taking a chance on Abraham but its also taking a chance putting in a rookie left tackle to protect your franchise QB....but the Skins have no choice and are doing it anyway.

All those who desperately want to keep their number 1 draft pick, fine. But the Skins number 1 pick if they sneak into the playoffs might only be the 24th pick or 25th pick. Hardly enough to get a Gaines Adams next season, and by some reports Adams may not even start for Tampa. Even if we draft a defensive end next season with our number 1 pick, he wouldn't start. So for the next 2 years, our #1 pick in the 2008 draft isn't going to help us. Where as Abraham could start this season, and start next season, and the season after that.\\This defense could be a BEAST...but with a pass rusher...not with next years number 1 pick which means nothing after Joe Gibbs retires.

That sounds awesome. We desperately need a good rushing end. Don't know about a number 1 though. How about Portis and a 3rd round pick for Abraham?

Portis for Abraham straight up. Maybe we could throw in a 6th or 7th round pick too.

EDIT: No need to give up draft picks. how about Portis and Brunell for Abraham and one of their later round draft picks.

Trading Brunell would be a HUGE mistake. I'm not saying Campbell is going to get injured but didn't that play in the pre season teach us anything? Anyone can get injured on any play. May as well have a QB who is familiar with the offense, the players, the coaches, and the organization with a little gas left in his tank than a washed up hasn't thrown a pass in the NFL since god knows when

C'mon guys. You want the man who set a NFL record for consecutive passes last year or a man who hasn't even thrown a pass in ages.

I disagree. If Jason goes down, our season is done. It really wouldn't matter if Brunell or Collins was under center. Collins know the offense better than Brunell and has played much better than Brunell has. So at this point in their careers it looks like Collins is a better back up. Brunell just doesn't have it physically anymore, honestly I can't see any other team wanting to pick him up. :2cents:

Archived