Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's Stop Pretending on the Defensive Line........

bulldog

After the departure of Bankston, let's not delude ourselves anymore into thinking we have ANY depth at DL that is worth a squat.

Bankston and Boose were awful on the field.

So were Cowsette, Ham and DeLoach.

Right now we have four NFL defensive linemen, although I would say THREE of these players are Ends.

So we have a questionable starter at one tackle spot and no #3 on the horizon inside or outside.

The Redskins are going to have to make a move here in the next two weeks. That is obvious.

It won't be a big move. No trading high picks or the like.

But we need to bring in someone who can at least help with the basics, stop the run at DT and allow Lang to move back to DE in an emergency.

You could put Cowsette/DeLoach out there together with Wilkinson and I am not convinced they could stop the run consistently.

Time to wake up and smell the cappaccino.

I'm not going to quibble with you on this too much bulldog, because depth along the D-line is important and we don't have it. But at the same time I can't help but remember that our D-line did pretty well last year against the pass. There were several plays where we had an excellent pass rush while only rushing our front four. As for the run, our D did stop the run the first couple weeks against some strong runners. It wasn't until the emmit smith debacle that our run D really fell apart. And that was last year with stubby. Are you going to tell me with a straight face that Lang is not going to be better than stubby on passing downs? And how much worse can he be against the run? We have TWO middle linebackers this year that should be able to stop the flood gates from opening down the middle of our defensive line. During the preseason, it has been the backup ends who have been rolling over for the running backs.

The lack of depth is concerning, and it would be nice to have a big body to spell lang, but if our D-line is healthy, I beleive it will do fine. I for one am much more worried about the depth at DE because of the age we have there. IF smith and Coleman get hurt, as they very well might, we'll be in DEEP trouble, so I've got to say that our needs at DE are greater than at DT.

-DB

DB, unless you're saying that we should be playing both of our MLB's at the same time, then having two of them simply doesn't matter. And neither one of them is an All-Pro anyway.

We're thin up the gut on defense. I was pointing that out on another thread at the same time bulldog was doing this one. No matter how good your LB's are, they can't be expected to make tackles less than 5-6 yards past the line of scrimmage with a guard in their face if your D-linemen aren't doing their job. For the umpteenth consecutive year, I see this being our Achilles heel on defense. I'm really getting tired of this. We're going to be solid to excellent in passing situations. Let's hope we're not comparably lousy against the run.

------------------

"Loosen up, Sandy baby. You're just too damn tight!" - John Riggins to Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor

I keep going to sleep wiishing when I wake up Monds has put it together to be the primary backup at DT.

But now that I'm awake I see us run blitzing on 1st down to make up for our DT woes

------------------

Take a sip of the Marty Kool Aid and Believe

redman,

the fact that we have two is important if one gets hurt. Neither is aLL-Pro, but neither is Derrick smith. I'll agree that the gaurds need to do their job; if the line goes backwards every running play than it doesn't matter who you have at middle linebacker. However, I don't think that lang is going to be much worse than Stubby. That may not be saying much, but I think we'll see an overall improvement in our run defense up the middle.

I can't watch our games, but from what i've been hearing, we have not seen a domination of our defensive line up the middle. Where we've been destroyed is along our outside. I'm not saying we'll have an excellent run Defense. All i'm saying is that our depth needs at DE are greater than at DT. I'm going to give marty the benefit of the doubt on Lang being adequate in the middle. That said if a great tackle comes along i'm not against it.

-DB

ND - yup, run blitzing on first down and safeties cheating up to help and then getting burned long.

I'm not expecting a defensive performance like last year's. Look for defensive picks with our next couple of 1st rounders.

Heck we knew this going into camp. The depth here is awful. I would have kept Bankston just for a little depth. We really need to look at DE and DT in next season's draft. We have seen in every pre-season game this year the strgulle we will face all year. We have absolutely no pressure up front, no pressure on the QB, no hurries, nothing. They can just sit in the pocket and tee off.

------------------

Please visit my new Skins site, Mark's Redskins Net. Vote in my latest Skins poll.

www.geocities.com/mbuterba/redskins.htm

The more things progress...er regress this pre-season, I'm beginning to think that we'd be best served by going 7-9 or 8-8 this season getting a mid round first which we hopefully could use on a stud DE/DT if one is available then going with a OL in the second round again depending on what's the best available.

Our line play on both sides of the ball has been atrocious to date. And while it should improve with Bruce back in the lineup, the fact that he's as old as he is doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

With Bankston gone, the defensive line, which already was the team's biggest question mark, is now doubly so. Though, with Smith, Coleman and Wilkinson, it is a pretty solid line with the starting group. I'd like to see some move here that offers a known, quality, backup so these guys don't wear down over the year as they did a year ago. We'll tremble every time Smith nicks that shoulder and Coleman holds his back smile.gif

The line is weak enough, at least in terms of depth, to haunt us all season. Someone either has to step up, or we have to step out and find something worth a damn.

------------------

Doom is in the box.

Marty has to be clearly disappointed that Derrick Ham who was supposed to be a fair pass rusher could generate no push at all in games against suspect lines in Atlanta and Cleveland.

Inside DeLoach and Cowsette may be candidates for the #4 tackle slot, but that says more about the state of depth around the NFL than it does about their talents.

Monds is not yet ready to play in the NFL. As I said when he was drafted, Mario is a guy who won't even start to contribute until this time next year. That is what you expect from developmental picks. Rosenfels is on the same schedule IMO.

Boose reminds me of Dexter Nottage. Both were 6'5 and 290 and showed well in practice. We heard that Boose made plays in camp regularly.

But as with Dexter, who we waited three years for to make the transition to playing and not just practicing well, Boose seems to be a "faint hope rather than a firm belief".smile.gif

Archived