JLC- The Grim Reaper Speaks & From The Grim Reaper's Mouth To Our Ears

Vinnick

Madden Redskin Cover Boy?  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Madden Redskin Cover Boy?

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

Posted at 5:21 PM ET, 08/16/2007

From The Grim Reaper's Mouth To Our Ears

Here's a snippet from the story running in Friday's paper with some of what Sean had to say:

Yesterday, Taylor was defensive about some topics during his brief group session, and evasive about others, but answered every question, and conceded that he may be working harder now than ever. Gregg Williams, assistant head coach - defense, believes that a trip to the Pro Bowl as an alternate in February, and being surrounded by the best in the game, has the safety aspiring to new heights, and Taylor did not entirely rebuff that notion, either.

"It's almost like we play a kid's game for a king's ransom," Taylor said, "and if you don't take it seriously enough, one day you're going to say, 'Oh, I could have did this, or I could have did that.' I'll just say that I'm healthy right now, and I'm going into my fourth year, so why not do the best that I can? Whether it's eating right, whether it's training myself right, or whether it's studying harder. It's whatever I can do to better myself."

As to the Pro Bowl experience itself, and what specifically he took from it, Taylor said: "I like the fact that I got to meet other players from different teams, and just knowing it was something other than football - it was football, but when we had our time off we talked and we talked about totally different things from football."

It is undeniable that Taylor transformed his body this offseason as well, looking more svelte and less bulky in his chest and shoulders (he has cut down on fat intake and eating lots of fish, teammates said).Taylor casts as intimidating and imposing figure as ever on the field, but seems built as much for speed as for contact now. The Redskins list him at 212 pounds, and he was listed at 232 pounds in last year's media guide, but Taylor countered by sating: "I'm the same weight (as last year), 225."

He thinks too much is made of his relationship with Ryan Clark and the fact that he is seeking stability now with LaRon Landry after having a revolving door of safeties with him over the years: "I don't think it's a, 'Who-I-feel-comfortable-with type of situation,'" Taylor said, adding, "I don't think anybody in the NFL is tied to each other."

As for his new role as a free safety, playing centerfield in a system that has been stripped back to allow the playmakers to attack more and think less, he offered: "I'm a safety - I play free, strong, whatever you ask me to play."

So there you have it. It's not so much what Sean said, as it is that he merely spoke to us.

Posted by Jason La Canfora | Permalink | Comments (18)

Other Blogs' Comments: icn-talkbubble.gif Technorati

Posted at 3:50 PM ET, 08/16/2007

The Grim Reaper Speaks

Sean Taylor decided to speak to the schlubs today. Didn't say a whole lot but he did answer every question.

Wish I had time to put it up here now, but I have too much stuff going on. I'll try to put some up later.

As for other stuff:

Pucillo could get a grasp on the staring guard spot if he plays well Sat. Bugel called it a "golden opportunity" for him. Wade likely won't dress.

Randle El is back and should be ready to play.

Like we wrote in the paper today, there is at least some degree of competition for the backup QB job, and Collins will be the first guy off the bench when Campbell is pulled Sat.

Coach Joe said he has a rough plan to play the starters as much as they did last weekend, but the decision ultimately will be dictated by how they perform.

The Redskins list him at 212 pounds, and he was listed at 232 pounds in last year's media guide, but Taylor countered by sating: "I'm the same weight (as last year), 225."

That's entirely possible -- since muscle weighs more than fat.. it's hard to tell without ever seeing his quads and back, that's where you can easily see muscle density

I hope he talks more about Landry in the interview

what i'm most impressed with is that i think he finally sees the neccessity to be a good all-around player. For most young players on defense it appears that they are fueled by the big hits and making the highlight reel. But after 3 years of experience, it seems that he's willing to put in the ground work to be the best.

Lavar had the talent, but I don't think he was willing to sacrifice the film-study and classroom time to take him to the next level. ST on the other hand, at age 24, is aware that he is known primarily as a hard-hitter, but with his stuggles in coverage last season may have been a blessing in disguse, coupled with his trip to hawaii. Lets hope it pays dividends.

:point2sky

He thinks too much is made of his relationship with Ryan Clark and the fact that he is seeking stability now with LaRon Landry after having a revolving door of safeties with him over the years: "I don't think it's a, 'Who-I-feel-comfortable-with type of situation,'" Taylor said, adding, "I don't think anybody in the NFL is tied to each other."

Straight from the horse's mouth so to speak. I'm glad he said this because I grew so tired of hearing and reading the same lame argument over and again. Ryan and Sean played well together - that's it. Clark is not his freaking living, breathing 24/7 life support system. Sean will be fine without him and now that Landry is back there, I expect him to shine now more than ever.

That's a rather impressive and regal analogy about the King's ransom. :laugh:

High level of education down there at Miami.

Actually I think Warren Sapp was one of the first's to coin that phrase...

I suspect it goes back a tad further than that.

According to my research, to at least 260 AD, when Roman emperor Valerian, after being defeated in battle and captured by the Persians, was used as a footstool by their king Shapur I. After a long period of treatment and humiliation of this sort, he offered Shapur a huge ransom for his release. In reply, Shapur had molten gold poured down his throat. He then had the unfortunate Valerian skinned and his skin stuffed with straw and preserved as a trophy in the main Persian temple. Only after Persia's defeat in their last war with Rome three and a half centuries later was his skin given a cremation and burial.

Warren may be a little long in the tooth, but I don't think he was around for that. There were hurricanes then but I don't think they'd invented Miami yet.

I suspect it goes back a tad further than that.

According to my research, to at least 260 AD, when Roman emperor Valerian, after being defeated in battle and captured by the Persians, was used as a footstool by their king Shapur I. After a long period of treatment and humiliation of this sort, he offered Shapur a huge ransom for his release. In reply, Shapur had molten gold poured down his throat. He then had the unfortunate Valerian skinned and his skin stuffed with straw and preserved as a trophy in the main Persian temple. Only after Persia's defeat in their last war with Rome three and a half centuries later was his skin given a cremation and burial.

Warren may be a little long in the tooth, but I don't think he was around for that. There were hurricanes then but I don't think they'd invented Miami yet.

I stand corrected Om :notworthy :D

Archived