Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

David Campo Fired!

Nighthawk

from espn.com

Campo tells his players he's been fired

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

Dallas Cowboys coach Dave Campo informed his players at a team meeting about at 12:30 p.m. ET Monday that he had been fired by owner Jerry Jones, sources have told ESPN.com.

The Dallas Morning News reported Sunday that a news conference was scheduled for Monday afternoon and that Jones said he will be "immediately" announcing his plans for next season.

"When I said immediately, I'm talking about not here in the dressing room," Jones said after the season-ending 20-14 loss Sunday to the Washington Redskins, "but when I'm away from the stadium and as we go into tomorrow and the next day."

Jones and Campo, who was promoted from defensive coordinator when Chan Gailey was fired three years ago, were expected to meet Monday morning. The coach was scheduled to conduct his season-ending news conference in the afternoon.

After the game Sunday, which broke Dallas' 10-game winning streak against Washington that dated back to 1997, Campo did not address his status with the players or reporters.

"I'm not going to comment on that," Campo said. "That's Jerry's decision."

Campo has two years left on his contract worth about $800,000 annually. He has been on the Cowboys staff for 14 seasons, and was the last assistant hired after Jones bought the team.

Let's just hope that there is something to this tampering thing with Tampa. I really don't want Tampa to get any stronger (We play them at home next year and Hopefully the playoffs ) but I'd love to see Jerrah have to give up something expensive for Parcells or not be able to hire him because the compensation tag is too high. :laugh: ;)

You know, we need a GM. Let's offer Parcells $4m/yr to be our GM. I think he doesn't really wanna coach anymore anyway. This is the situation he wanted in NY when he tried to hang on as GM and make Belichik the coach. Let Bill run the draft and select the free agents!!!!:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

It's too bad they didn't let HBO and NFL Films come in to do a one-shot "Hard Knocks" followup. But I can just picture Jerry bringing Campo into his office last night and sitting him down on the couch in front of the faux Super Bowl trophies before cutting his throat . . . .

Archived