Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tom Toles Cartoon: Tasteless?

Ax

The cartoon is not tasteless. For those who fly often just getting to you destination can be like climbing Mt. Everest. The endless barrage of bull**** airlines throw at their passengers is deplorable.

The cartoon is not tasteless. For those who fly often just getting to you destination can be like climbing Mt. Everest. The endless barrage of bull**** airlines throw at their passengers is deplorable.

I'm sure that those who fly often hate the way they are treated. I just think making a mockery of the people on flight 93 to make his point is a tasteless way to do it.

If he could find a way to do it using the image of sexually molested children, would that be acceptable too?

They could have left off the "Let's Roll" comment and it would have been ok. That, to me, is a bit in bad taste.

That's exactly what makes it tasteless for me.

I'm sure they'll be coming post haste! Most of the time I find these cartoons or ones like them..funny. Sometimes they can go a bit too far tho.

Yeah, I laugh at quite a few things that others don't find humorous. I just think this particular one goes where it shouldn't.

I think this one went a bit too far. However, speaking of Toles, one of his best IMO was some time ago (whole saga http://dailycartoonist.com/index.php/2007/03/16/tom-toles-fires-letter-back-to-joint-chief/. It started with this cartoon: c_01292006_520.gif

Then came a letter from the Joint Chiefs (which IMO COMPLETELY misrepresented the cartoon): http://dailycartoonist.com/index.php/2006/02/02/joint-cheifs-send-protest-letter-over-toles-cartoon/

Then, after then-Chairman of the Joint Chiefs Pace called homosexuality "immoral," Toles fired back: c_03152007_520.gif

Payback's a who know what, huh? :)

Over the last few months almost every flight I've taken has been delayed in some way.

And I fly about every other week.

It culminated in a trip 2 weeks ago that had my flight cancelled and me boarding a plane to Charlotte, NC and renting a car at 1 a.m. and driving halfway home, crashing in a hotel for 5 hours, then getting up the next morning and driving the rest of the way home.

I arrived at noon. My bag arrived 2 days later.

and USAIR didn't pick up any of the expense, because it was "weather related" :rolleyes:

So honestly Ax, I read that cartoon, and I think "dead on"

I fly about 4 times a year on 2 day or more stays(meaning I need to check baggage). Southwest, AirTran and Continental have never lost my luggage. AirTran and Southwest are generally on time. ****in United and US Air have got to be the worst ****ing airlines of all time, I avoid them at all costs, United has lost my luggage each of the past 3 times I've flown and US Air hasn't been on time since the late 90's.

In regards to the cartoon, the "Let's Roll" comment was a bit much.

I don't think it's possible to offend me, so I laughed. I guess I'm too laid-back to get worked up about insignificant things.

Sorry, that sounded a bit high-horsey, but I'm not sure how else to describe it! :silly:

The problem is that without it, it makes the passengers look like the hijackers instead of the liberators of the people who have been hijacked by the airlines.

And the problem with that is, it implies unhappy airline passengers are equally heroic as a group of people who were preparing to risk their life and die.

Then did.

I know it was probably a little rough with the 'lets roll' part, but lets not get caught up in that. The obvious point of the cartoon is that the airlines hold us hostage. They charge beaucoup amounts of money for the lousiest service imagineable.

I think everyone here has some story about how the airlines have screwed them over. We, the taxpayer, had to bail them out, and they fired all their employees anyway. Now the federal government is responsible for the security, and you know what that gets you. The ABSOLUTE dumbest sons a ****es that have ever come down the pipe.

Case in point; While boarding a flight from Richmond to Newark ( worst airport in history ) a security lady asked me to take the shoes off my 2 year old child. I asked her if that was necessary and she told me " well you can drive." Do you believe that crap?! I seriously weighed the consequences of telling her what I thought about her and every other human barnacle I had to interact with while being pile-drived by the airlines.

I don't find it tasteless. It seems that the "Lets Roll" thing was used a lot after 9/11. I think some NCAA teams were using it. I thought the movie was tasteless. Considering they had to make stuff up for the holes that will never be filled in.

Maybe I'm missing something by why is the "let's roll" comment so bad? And where did everyone get the information that this refers to flight 93? I don't know, it looks to me like people are adding and reading things that aren't there. :whoknows:

You really don't see the connection? Really? :doh:

Archived