Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Smoot was terrible.

endzone_dave

Keep a few things in perspective . . .

The first is that not all of those yards were Smoot's . . .

The second is that Smoot was playing zone a lot, which isn't Smoot's forte and is a system which can lead to chunks of yards . . . why Marv continues to use zone when he has two great press coverage men is beyond me . . .

Third, because the Cowgirls weren't throwing on Bailey, they were throwing on Smoot all day . . . by getting bombed on that many times, you're bound to give up some plays . . .

Fourth, the only real big play Smoot gave up, leading up to the yard "garbage time" TD was the 43 yard fade . . . and that was a thing of beauty . . . couldn't do much about that . . . take that away and Bryant had 81 yards right before his TD catch . . .

To be sure, Smoot got toasted on that play . . . he was playing zone, but he certainly had no business coming up . . . that simply was a product of bravado, a lame stab at a pick that he could've took to the house . . . he gambled . . . and lost . . . just a young player's mistake and big head . . . and that's something that can be fixed with a small attitude adjustment . . .

Smoot was in perfect coverage position on three big Bryant catches and Bryant made a better play on the ball. Smoot's speed is said to be among the team's best and he and Champ are neck and neck there, with Champ having an edge. Smoot beat Darrell Green this year in 40-timing. Speed isn't Smoot's weakness right now. It's judgement with the ball in the air. He looked so ready to pounce but he kept misplaying the ball. If he can improve on that Bryant would have had two catches. If he can't, he'll be Barry Wilburn :).

To be fair, that could be on Smoot. He may have misplayed what Lewis called. But, for what I could see in the limited replay angles it didn't appear he played the play differently than he was supposed to. I'd put that on Lewis anyway because we should have brought more pressure no matter what :).

That TD was Smoot's fault . . . it was fourth and long, the Cowterds down by 13 with three minutes left . . . the last thing you want is something open deep . . . you keep the guy and/or ball in front of you . . . your job is to turn the ball over on downs . . . Smoot didn't do that . . . once again, I think he was looking for a pick to take to the house . . . oh well . . .

You know art, I don't see why more people don't mention the fact that the lack of pressure was the single biggest cause for that TD. In fact, when we get decent pressure on the QB terell is an acceptable safety. Why go away from what works just because it works for other people?

And prevent NEVER works.

-DB

Concur, concur, concur, RTerps. Smoot has been overated all season - missed tackles, behind the receiver all the time. He's been beat at least 10 times in every game.

Bad thing is, he trash talks folks into thinking he's good and everyone buys it. I've only seen perhaps one or two good plays from him all year...last year, too. Most of those were because of poorly thrown passes from opposing QB's.

:gus:

Boston?? The guy who got away with offensive pass interefernce on that play?

The guy who had just as many drops as Gardner who is just as likely to have 300lbs of weed in a van on I95?

Smoot is ok and we arent going to draft a CB in the first round.

Get a DC who can figure out the players strength.

Funny but that is what we had with jr schottenheimer towards the end of the season and supposedly Marv watched film so he had to know the defenses strengths

Drumcop,

You guys are just killing me. No question Smoot had a lesser year than last year. But, no, he wasn't beaten 10 times every game. He had games where he wasn't ever beaten. He had more games where he wasn't beaten than games where he was. Yet, he was beaten more than last year and perhaps we've just come to think that means he was always beaten. Simply untrue and devoid of any real observational validity.

smoot was beaten by rookies yesterday. there was a sequence of plays in the first half in which bryant owned him. they passed on him all day long cuz he couldn't stop bryant. he routinely appears out of position to make plays. i don't know how many times this year he has been torched on passes down the sidelines, but it has been a lot. when his coverage has been good, he has been outmuscled for the ball. no...mr smoot has a lot of work to do during the offseason.....

someone pls explain the logic to me......if its 4th and long or your primary defensive objective is to prevent a long, scoring pass play, why is man-to-man a better defense? a zone already places your defenders downfield in position to effect your primary objective - defend against the long ball. man-to-man doesn't do that. dropping off in a man-to-man at the snap is essentially the same as playing a zone. so...what is the proper defense?

It's amusing how some people on this board continue to blame M. Lewis for every big play that the defense gives up. Yet, when the defense plays well, as it did yesterday, no one gives him credit. As for smoot, so he got beat a few times, it happens to all corners. Thing is, if we wouldn't of dropped so many balls, that Bryant touchdown might have brought them with 20 instead of within 6.

I believe some are blowing out of proportion Smoot's play in the Dallas game, as well as the entire season. Yes, he has been beat at times, but he's a second-year player that's playing across from Champ Bailey. Thus, he's getting thrown at more, as well as being compared and contrasted against Bailey.

Smoot has all of the physical skills to be an excellent CB. I have seen his 40-time recorded at 4.38, which is pretty fast. He just needs to work on his timing and his ball-playing skills. Those are skills that can be taught and improved, especially since he is a young player that is still improving.

I think it's a completely RIDICULOUS idea to even mention taking another CB in the 1st round, especially with the obvious needs at WR, DT, DE, and OG.

~B.

Well, Art, perhaps not...but I challenge you to watch the games once more. Even the announcers were saying repeatedly throughout the year..."Smooth got beat again". I got sick of hearing that - at times, even from Sonny and Sam.

I would like to see his walk match his talk...cause he can do the talk...better than most out there.

Sure, Smoot gets beat more often than Champ, but I wouldn't consider him a weakness. And I count myself among those who cursed Smoot yesterday.

As far as drafting another CB...we did that last year. And we need youth on the D-Line and quality in the O-Line.

Perhaps we are seeing what Antonio Bryant is gonna be for the Cowboys. He had a dumb drop, a fumble and a taunt, but other than that he was the man.

Ok first off, watching the play again. I truly want to know why the safeties were not set in a deep zone. Once Hutchinson dropped back, there is no way they could not see Bryant start to get open down the sideline, yet what do we see AGAIN......the safety running over to make the play about 10 seconds after the touchdown. Why was the safety so badly out of position. It seems this year every deep pass by the opposing team is always a toss up because there is only one defender on him. You watch highlights of other teams and it seems whenever there is a long bomb into the endzone, there is at least 2-3 defenders in the area of the WR.....yet with us, there is just a cornerback. 4th&14...3mins to go.....it is a no brainer where the ball is going.

Secondly, if OUR OWN TEAM, scores as much as they should have been,(if not for the penalties and fumble) then with 3 minutes to go....that same play is pretty meaningless and we can all get a good chuckle at the cowboys trying to scratch their way to a "respectable showing"

Archived