Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let the mourning begin

@DCGoldPants

Well, I've been generally quiet since yesterday, trying to collect my thoughts and all. So happy that we beat a bad bad Dallas team. I feel awful from Emmitt because of how he's being run out of Dallas. I am very upset over Darrell still. That's it....no more.

I'm sitting there with my folks yesterday watching the game and my Mom says...you know....you were 6/7 Years old in Darrell's rookie season, 1st grade......you've grown up with him "being" the Redskins for you. She was so right that it just hit me.

Chanting "Dallas Sucks" on the school bus in the 80's, still having my DG rookie card and I don't even collect them.

So, today I am upset that this is it. No more Darrell on the field.

I was hoping that I'd get up this morning, load this page and see a little picture of his Jersey in the top right or left corner for our own personal tribute. Something on here thanking him for the 20 years he gave the team.

The Washington Post

Sunday, December 29, 2002; Page D11

Darrell Green asked The Washington Post if he could address Washington Redskins fans before his final game today. This is his letter to them:

My career officially kicked off in September 1983 when I was introduced to a new phenomenon called Dallas Week. From that Monday night opener, (remember the great Dorsett rundown?) to a 14-2 record and a trip to the Super Bowl, it wasn't a bad beginning for the little guy from Texas A&I.

Over the next 19 years, we went on to win five NFC East championships, three NFC titles, and two more Super Bowls.

In my younger days, I could keep up with the best of them, as the four-time winner of the NFL's Fastest Man contest. And who could forget seven trips to beautiful Hawaii for the Pro Bowl games?

Well, I hope I don't sound like a super hero, because I'm not. The Redskins have always been loaded with talent, even before my time. Bobby Mitchell, my greatest hero, Sam Huff, my tackling coach, and Sonny Jurgensen, the fan favorite, stand out in my mind. Then there were the great players of my early years, like "Talking Joe" Theismann, the outspoken Dexter Manley, hyper Gary Clark, and, of course, "Pretty Boy" Mark Moseley, just to name a few.

So many great characters. So many great memories. Charlie Brown and the Smurfs doing their classic high-five in Texas Stadium, in spite of the Cowboys' protests. Big John "The Diesel" Riggins ran through the NFC East, all the way to the Hall of Fame. "Doc" Walker and the Hogs always gave you a great night out. Then there was Art Monk and the Fun Bunch who always kept you on the edge of your seat. And I'm sure you remember (and would like to forget) my group, the Pearl Harbor Crew. But I will never forget "The General" Joe Gibbs, the quotable Jack Kent Cooke and the great ride to two Super Bowl championships. Throughout the years, we have always worked hard to win. Doug Williams, Mark Rypien, Tim Johnson, Earnest Byner and Brian Mitchell were a great lineup, not to mention great friends.

For 20 seasons, I have played cornerback for the best fans; you always kept RFK rocking. And it warms my heart every time I remember you chanting my name at FedEx Field, "Darrell, Darrell, Darrell." This is the best community in the world. You even gave me the love of my life, my wife Jewell, and for her, I am forever indebted to you. It is here where we have made our home and raised our children. How can I begin to find the words to thank you for 20 years of support? I can only hope that you know how hard I have worked on and off the field. Most of all, I hope I have made you proud.

Now, I bid you a humble farewell, as my football career comes to an end. As I go, I leave you in good hands with Dan Snyder and Steve Spurrier. I'll be cheering for them as they lead the new kids on the block like Fred Smoot, Champ Bailey, Patrick Ramsey, LaVar Arrington, Chris Samuels and Jon Jansen. The future looks bright. Hail to the Redskins.

As I move on, I ask you all to pray with me as I continue my greatest work of serving our youth through the Darrell Green Youth Life Foundation. To my fans everywhere, I leave you this one request, to join me in making sure that all children are nurtured in healthy environments, educated with excellence, and developed and strengthened in their moral character. If we together can accomplish this, then 20 years as a Washington Redskin will be so much more than just a memory-it is a life's journey together.

Forever yours,

No. 28

I52049-2002Dec29I44161-2002Dec27

Did you guys see when he wanted to clap for the fans and a few people started to clap also. They said Darrell might have been the only guy to ever tell 80,000 people to shut up and they listened. This man is plain and simple class. I am gonna miss him. Makes me wanna cry

Darrell, you are the MAN:notworthy :notworthy

Yesterday was the definition of the word bittersweet. I've followed the Skins since well before Green, but he'll always rank above every other player in my mind. I'll miss him on Sunday, but was so glad to see him retire in his own time and with the class he always had.

Darrell Green was a great Redskin and a class act. I was at the game yesterday(12/29) and got to my seat early to see the tribute to Green. There was not a dry eye in the house. Even I had a tear in my eye. I wish there were more people in this world like Darrell, the world would be a better place. Even some Cowboy fans said that they liked Darrell, and the NFL is going to miss him.

I stayed after the game for the "Victory Lap" and as Darrell was going around the stadium, he stopped to shake as many hands, and kiss as many cheeks as possable. He is nothing but CLASS!!!

Archived