Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Champ & Smoot

Braves On Warpath

Champ was his usual suffocating self. Did Galloway even play tonight? I did not see his name in the box score at all.

As for Smoot, his coverage on Bryant was pretty good most times but Bryant just made a nice play on a well thrown ball. The TD catch was an exception, he was toasted on that one.

Hopefully Smoot will see the need to work very hard over the off season to improve his game. This was a good game to teach a guy like Smoot humility and the need to work hard.

Smoot played a very good game today.

The fact is that you can only expect so much from a corner and smoot was there on every play when he was in man coverage.

Either ML is an idiot or smoot didn't understand his zone responsibility on the TD. Smoot backs off on that play because he is clearly in a zone of some kind.

As for bryants other catches, they were all amazing grabs. Smoot was always there though and never really beat. The throws were perfect and the catches amazing. Smoot was there. Can't ask for much more from a corner.

But Bailey was amazing. Marvin Lewis is a putz and I'm glad it's clear to everyone now.

-DB

Smoot cost us 2 TD's. He got burnt like toast on that long TD pass as everyone saw. Spurrier also said in his post game press conference that he bumped into the official on the field when we recovered the fumbled kickoff and returned it for a TD. Because Smoot bumped into the ref, he called us for too many men on the field, costing us the TD and, in all likelihood, a rout. If the game was closer, that play could have been the difference in the game.

Um.... Okay.

Smoot cost us a touchdown by doing what exactly? Making a ref mad at us? I don't think so.

And I didn't see smoot get burnt. I saw him cover an empty zone. It's not what he's good at, so it's a forgiveable mistake. It's also not what a sensible D-coordinator would have him do. In fact It's hard to argue that he did anything other than exactly what was called since no one knows what was called. Watching the play we were absolutely in a zone (I believe the announcer called it a three deep zone). If smoot has the zone in the endzone then ML has a very unique scheme indeed!:laugh:

-DB

To me that late TD was Terrell being his usual late self getting to the play. He has proven himself for two years to be a very poor free safety. The FS should be the leader of the DBs, adjust coverages and get INTs. DT does none of that. He sits back and lets plays happen in front of him - or he's late to the long ball down the sideline like today. He consistently hangs our CBs out to dry when they rely on him for help.

FS must be moved up the priority list for the offseason.

Sorry DB, not clear to me. (Lewis being a putz). On that play, zone wasn't the problem and niether was Smoot. ( A zone is a zone. Smoot doesn't understand that and he's in trouble no matter who is DC). Yes, Smoot did jump up on that.... and that's just basic DB 101. Don't come up in the zone..keep guy in front of you. Even the announcer said that. The problem on that one was Terrell..............again... If Smoot needn't be jumping up while in zone then for sure Terrell shouldn't have. He did.......touchdown.

Why I blame ML for that touchdown.

1) Terell is terrible. You know that, I know that. Don't make him responsible for antonio bryant in the end zone.

2.) Smoot is a pretty good cover corner. Had smoot been in man I don't think that throw would have been made.

3.) Three man rush. We had them on thier heels all day by rushing the QB. On this particular play ML called a three man rush dropping everyone else back.

The play called catered to the cowboys strengths (reciever and arm of the QB when thier weaknesses are poor o-line and bleow average mobility QB) and our weakness (see smoot in zone and terell in coverage when man to man had never left anyone that open)

and thus our coordinator is a putz.

-DB

Originally posted by DrunkenBoxer

Um.... Okay.

Smoot cost us a touchdown by doing what exactly? Making a ref mad at us? I don't think so.

-DB

Uh, yes - think so! The reason the ref noticed Smoot going onto the field was because he bumped into him, otherwise he probably wouldn't have noticed him and called the penalty. Listen to Spurrier's press conference on the redskins.com web site.

Beyond that I agree that Terell stinks. We definitely need an upgrade there.

Ok.... so..Terrell is up and down no doubt about that. ( For that matter, that's from our point of view... let's just assume that maybe since Marvin watches these guys practice and game films and such, he has a a fairly imformed opinion), However, all Terrell had to do was cover his zone. Terrell has made enough good plays this year to give the impression that he could at least cover in that situation.

Yea...Smoot is a pretty good cover guy...but against Bryant today.. no he wasn't. He's also been torched a few more times this season so that's a kind of a leap on that one. Hell, Smoot doesn't jump up in the zone himself and he still makes a play.. again...DB 101

Yes...3 man rush. 3rd and what...20.... know they are going to pass... why not drop a bunch in coverage. Hutch had time and still could only find one guy open. No playing to strength there.... players blew it. Thus I don't think DC is putz.

Smoot isn't our number 1 corner. He is not a shut down corner. I do think he can get better, but I don't think this is a game that's going to teach him humility. I think it's a game that's going to keep him fighting into the offseason.

But since I sidetracked this thread into an ML discussion I'll continue along that thread.

1.) I don't really see this rebuttal. Terell has had few interceptions but never has he actually covered a reciever in his zone. I've never seen a batted ball or a hit to dislodge a ball on a DEEP zone.

2.) The thing is that he was at least moderately in position for all of those plays. The end zone TD left him wide open. DB 101 all you want, but how sure are you that he's not supposed to jump the short zone there? He makes up enough ground that he could play the underthrown ball which is what the underzone guy is really there for.

3.) If prevent works for you more power to you. I just find it fitting that the one time we did this... they scored thier only offensive touchdown.

But what really gets to me is that the play above is symbolic of ML's defense duing his tenure here. He is terrible at third and long. Third and Long should be the down where we're all comfortable, and it's not. Why? Because ML will always play the soft zone. And over the past few weeks we've seent hat this D really is better when we sell out against the run and leave our corners to the recievers. Sure they'll get beaten from time to time, but not tenough. The one play where ML called a play like he has all year they score. The one play where ML caters to his system instead of our players, they score.

This year ML came in and forced our players to learn a new system. I thought that if our players stopped being stubborn and just listened to the guy then we'd get better. I blamed the players for our early season lapses. Now that I see just how dominant we could have been all year, i'm a little miffed that ML spent half a season teaching his system only to abandon it for a far better, simpler idea that caters to our strengths. If it was just one play I'd blame the players, but I have yet to see a more consistent failing then ML's schemes on third and long. And from this redskins team, that's a high indictment.

-DB

DB, it seems to me your dislike for ML is influencing some of where you place blame here.

Smoot got burned. why would he cover a short zone on a 3rd and twenty play? Lets face it smoot has gotten burnt an aweful lot this year and this was not an exception.

Blaming ML for the fact that Terrel is a bad corner and playing in the game is rediculous. Terrel unfortunetely is the best we have. ML didnt choose him the FO did.

Take a step back and admit that the defense played a damn good game today and I think some of that credit goes to ML.

1) You're kidding right? :doh: Saw some plays this year where Terrell was right there in coverage. Didn't need to bat the ball away to see that.

2) Because the LB's faked blitz then dropped into coverage in front of him. (amongst other reasons. Like Smoot releasing the receiver to the saftey....coincidentally Terrell.

3) Right on Storm. Lines have been drawn where ML is concerned. they do not appear to be flexible. There comes a time when on a subject, especially this one, where all you end up doing is :gus: No matter which side one may be on.

:cheers:

db.....smoot has been beaten like a drum all year long. a rookie ate him up for lunch yesterday....in no particular order:

- smootie needs to hit the weights; the pipsqueak has had the ball muscled from him a lot this year

- he is constantly out of position, even when coverage is tight; ultimately he is supposed to be between the receiver and the ball; he's constantly leaping to make up lost ground or to the outside of the receiver having to rely on leaping ability. as we have seen (e.g., yesterday) an athletic receiver will outplay smoot.

- he has been burned for big plays all year long.

let's see......the rams ride cover 2 to the superbowl; the bucs have the best defense in the league year in and year out playing cover 2; the ravens had one of the best defenses ever playing cover 2....but noooooooo the Redskins' problems when using the same scheme are due to coaching - not the lack of talent or players keeping to scheme. this is a dead horse. you haven't proven what you assert...that man-to-man would produce better results. *ell.....were I the Dallas d-coordinator I would have been wearing a smile all day had we gone man-to-man for the entire game...I'ld simply tell the QB to look for Smoot and toss the ball in his area to any receiver taller than 5 feet!!!!!

maybe cuz there was one practice day and only 3 days between games?

db....you can't argue with the facts...slow start notwithstanding...the d finsihed top five. why is it that teams like the rams, bucs, ravens, steelers all draft top flight safeties? to make the system work. this has been a personnel problem all along not a scheme problem. that - and lack of a pass rush. sorry...I have been to every home game this year and, while I have high hopes in the long run, smoot *ucked this year. if he doesn't improve I predict he will be on the bench or out of the league in 2 years. currently...he is a vulnerability which can be easily exploited even in man-to-man (his "strength"). too many folks have been suckered in by his talk. the man aint walked the walk yet.....

Okay I'll say it again, rams and titans. Two games smoot played a large part in getting us a W.

Second, Our D's ranking was slipping until we changed our scheme and played some much weaker offenses. Maybe it was just the latter, and I think there's a good argument there. But the point of our new scheme is to sell out and stop the run at all costs. We put our corners in man up and give up an occasional long ball. However with a significant pass rush this isn't likely and our D produces many 3 and outs. This is exactly what happened.

Smoot is no worse than bailey at a similar point in thier careers. Remember dallas last year? Bailey got torched by rocket on man to man. Heck even this year bailey has had some bad days. Smoot had a couple of very well placed balls caught on him yesterday in man to man and he made the tackle immediately. Sometimes that's all you can do. At least none of his breakdowns' caused TD's this week (unlike champ's play last year).

When smoot isn't confused by the zone he does okay. (And again I'm not even sure that he's confused at all) He outmuscled boston a few times for a ball when bailey got schooled by boston on the next play. (This year)

What we have seen from smoot is less consistency then bailey, but a similar apptitude for making plays. See rams/titans/cardinals where he made some spectacular plays. Thing is consistency is something likely to improve as smoot matures.

One more time, name a better second corner?

-DB

So it was the cover two and not a healthy C Warner and a balanced running attack to get the lambs into the superbowl??

Tampon hasnt won jack yet

Funny but Lovie Smith wasnt in St louis when the rams won the superbowl and what exactly is the reason they arent in the playoffs this year?

Cover two is a beatable defense that S double is used to seeing in college.

Smoot will be fine. Funny how people ignore the fact he played thru the hip and thigh bruises.

Its doesnt take a genius to see that both of our corners excel in man to man and this was a question that has been brought up to S double on his TV show and to Marv on mondays during sonny and georges sports segment.

Archived