Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Calvin Rookie Johnson signs after week-long holdout

jthor99

Yeah, I think they were talking about this on Mike&Mike this morning, although it was two other guys hosting.

It will be very interesting to see the #'s, which I expect will dwarf Landry's deal.

Wonder if this helps Russell's deal get done with Oakland.

The only way is to do what the NBA did and place a hard cap on the rookie contracts, but I doubt the players union would want to do that. If I were a player, I'd want a hard rookie cap. I'd never want to put in 3 or 4 good years and have some punk from college make more money than I do.

The only way is to do what the NBA did and place a hard cap on the rookie contracts, but I doubt the players union would want to do that. If I were a player, I'd want a hard rookie cap. I'd never want to put in 3 or 4 good years and have some punk from college make more money than I do.

There is no NFL players union, which is why they have the hard-cap for the league as a whole to begin with. In a few years I think the NBA-like rookie cap will be in place.

As these rookie contracts continue to get more and more ridiculous, I think that the trade value of these top 10 picks will decline.

Exactly. It'll force teams to start winning.... so teams aren't forced to make unproven rookies the highest paid on their respective teams (and the NFL).

I mean, at least in free agency..... you know what you're getting and you don't mind doling out the cash. And you can elect to not sign anyone.... which gives you more freedom and flexibility.

The NFL draft is turning into a free agent lottery.... where teams are FORCED to sign unproven players to record contracts.

I guess if I was a GM and I had to dole out cash to a PRO BOWL player or a top draft pick.... which equates to the same money.... I'll take the Pro Bowl player every time.

Teams are better off just getting rid of their 1st round picks... and stockpiling 2nd round picks which are the true value in the NFL.

There is no NFL players union, which is why they have the hard-cap for the league as a whole to begin with. In a few years I think the NBA-like rookie cap will be in place.

Then what the hell is Gene Upshaw being paid to do? And if there is no union, why did they strike in 82 and 87?

Gene Upshaw is paid to exploit NFL players at the behest of the owners for whom he works.

Well, we ALL know that! :laugh: I've been wanting to get his ass out of there for years. He seems real shady to me and it's all coming out with the veteran's of past with the disabilities. I think he's been embezzeling money out of the players fund for years.

Archived