Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brady Quinn: What a jackass. (Rant)

PleaseBlitz

There's a slotting system in place. Each pick gets a little more than the same pick got last year. That's where you start your negotiations. Most of these players aren't total douchebags out for every last cent. Quinn is an exception. It's pretty clear that he knows he can't cut it, so he needs to cash in now when it's his only chance. If he had faith in his ability, he'd sign an incentive deal (the norm at 22) & get his sorry ass into camp.

I thougth that the slotting system was informal, and the player/agent could negotiate as much as they wanted.

Look what happened with Anythony Spencer this year. He got less money than some of the people below him (although slightly more guaranteed)

Also I would keep in mind that a similiar thing happened to Leinart last year, and he didn't start camp until Aug. 15th.

Agents take this tactic all the time. The Postons insisted Smoot be paid like a 1st rounder because his slip into the second round was caused by a faulty police MJ search. They also tried to pass off KWII as being equal to the top pick. Ramsey held out as well, if you recall. It's even more common among 1st round QBs. This is why the NFL needs to adopt a slotting salary system for the draft.

All I know is that for the past year or so, I hope he is the 2nd coming of Ryan Leaf.

I expect it actually. And I certainly hope he does. He just needs to take his 22nd pick ass and get it into came, for 22 pick money. And see if he can actually contribute to a NFL team.

"........not a win over a top program, nothing."

Quinn beat Michigan twice, including once on the road. He also moved his team downfield and scored a touchdown in the final two minutes against a top-ranked USC team only to see his defense allow Leinart to convert a 4th-and-17 with under a minute to play on the ensuing drive.

If you're going to criticize Quinn, fine. But please remember that football is a game of offense and defense. And against Ohio State, USC and LSU, it wasn't Notre Dame's offense that was allowing receivers to roam wide open in the secondary. "Notre Dame can't win a big game," is a somewhat legit criticism of its recent history. "Brady Quinn can't win a big game," is way off base. Unless they make football a one-on-one sport, the QB always needs a little help.

Add to the fact that Lienhart was illegally pushed into the endzone by Reggie Bush, so USC should have never won that game.

I hope the Browns stand if this is true. It's rediculous, maybe Quinn knows that he won't be getting money down the road.

Oh, and people trying to defend Quinn, yeah, look at the mentioned Michigan games, other teams were beating them too. And if his offense was that good, they would be able to score more than 14 points against LSU or a similar lever of suck agaisnt OSU. I'll give you the 2005 USC game, that was a shootout.

Not a ND or Quinn nuthugger, but NOBODY really scored that well against the LSU defense. And only Florida figured out the Ohio St. defense in 1 game.

You're crazy. Quinn's only leverage is "I should have been a top 10 pick because Mel Kiper told me so."

The Browns actually have all the leverage. If they didn't trade up, Quinn would have fell to the second round. Then this holdout would look even more ridiculous.

There's no way in hell the Browns pony up. An incentive laden deal is fine, but there's no way Quinn should get a huge signing bonus.

There's a slotting system in place. Each pick gets a little more than the same pick got last year. That's where you start your negotiations. Most of these players aren't total douchebags out for every last cent. Quinn is an exception. It's pretty clear that he knows he can't cut it, so he needs to cash in now when it's his only chance. If he had faith in his ability, he'd sign an incentive deal (the norm at 22) & get his sorry ass into camp.

The Browns have made this guy the face of the franchise. The slotting system you are refering too goes out the window at this point. Do you think Condon is really going to settle for a 22nd pick slot for Brady Quinn? No way! The Browns are going to be the first one to blink in this process they have to get this guy into camp, and at worse have to get him signed right before the season starts. The Browns gave up way too much on this guy to sit back and watch a long holdout happen, which probaly will happen as far as pre-season goes. Watch Quinn will get a 5 year deal with over 20M in guarantees.

Also, you bring up the Clevland has all the leverage because if they wouldnt of traded up he would of droped to the 2nd round. Actaully, you're wrong in for 2 different reasons. For one, the Ravens were very close to striking a deal at that point of the draft before Cleavland got wind and swept in. For two, the Browns did trade up to get him, so your theory on if they wouldnt of took him there him droping hurts him even more is a poor reason.

Lastly, the incentive laden deal you are talking about is exactly what is holding up the process. Sources are talking now that the snag in negociations is that Condon/Quinn want a mega bonus installed at the end of the deal incase Quinn turns out to be better than what he was drafted. Can you really blame Condon/Quinn for pushing this. Yes, Quinn has looked shakey in OTA's, but this guy already comes from, and NFL playbook background in Charlie Weis system and hes football smart. The knock has been his lack of good play in big games, and that his mechanics are rather roboitc because of muscular is he for his position. If you think Condon and Quinn are going to lay down and take a '22nd slot" your nuts in 3 weeks the Browns will be the first ones to blink because at this point they have to.

there is a rookie cap

There is a yearly pool on what they can pay rookies, in total. I think what the poster was referring to was a per-player cap. I think that would be much fairer. Why should a first round underachiever get paid more than someone in the 7th round who surprises everyone?

I don't care for Brady Quinn either and he comes off as a jackass. But here is one thought I had about him trying to get a big contract now instead of being humble an accepting a contract on the level of the 22nd pick.......

Maybe he is unsure that he'll succeed in the NFL. If he never succeeds then he'll never get a big contract. However, if he lands the big deal now he'll be able to play under that contract for 4 or 5 years unless he sucks it up so bad that he is cut. Just a thought.

An open letter to Brady Quinn...

http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/8887902.html

Brady, you have said that you want to be ''protected'' in your contract in case you become a starter. Here's a bulletin: You hold out, you don't have to worry about starting this year.

If you had come to camp on time, gotten hot and played well in the preseason, you would have started soon, if not Opening Day. Now, you are a deep No. 3 on the depth chart and soon will be looking up at Ken Dorsey with no chance of competing with Charlie Frye or Derek Anderson for the job.

Heres one idea on the topic when i asked the question this afternoon on an ESPN Chat:

Jarrod, Baltimore: Who will blink first in the negotiation process with Quinn and the Browns? Don't you think that Quinn has leverage here with Cleavland trading away the first round pick next year, and also making him the face of the franchise. Your thoughts?

Sando: (4:32 PM ET ) I haven't seen Tom Condon do a lot of blinking in his day. Here is the interesting dynamic in those negotiations: Quinn will probably outlast the current regime in Cleveland. The pressure is on the front office and coaching staff to get that job done. Quinn does seem to be in a strong position even if fans are ripping him for not reporting. The fans would rip him anyway if he reported on time and didn't play well. If he reports late and plays well, they won't hold anything against him.

Oddly enough, I don't blame Quinn too much. Don't ge me wrong he is an idiot. But the truth is, his agent should know better. He was picked 22nd, not 2nd. He is slotted @22. To me there should be no discussion about it.

Part of the problem is Quinns' agent is more worried about getting his max dollars then playing by the rules. Quinn was arrogant enough to believe that he'd be a top 10 pick, when he's not worth that. That's why he fell so hard. He's a 22 pick and should sign a 22 pick contract. This is becoming a disaster more and more. Even though Quinn is homegrown from Ohio, this situation will quickly turn into a Tim Couch repeat. I remember when Couch was cheered when he got injured and had to leave the field.

If Quinn wants more money then here :2cents: . Spend wisely.

Archived