Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

No matter how bad it was, it feels good.

Art

This game was very emblematic of what the Washington Redskins are as a team right now. A potentially dynamic team on both sides of the ball that just can't figure out how to string a series of plays together without letting a major negative set everything back and set the team back to ground zero.

Defensively we are devestating the Cowboys in all ways and as good as that felt, how dumb are we to allow that long touchdown pass on a straight fly pattern? Powell gets a great effort play to make a huge sack and is doing a tumbleroll while behind him the ball is free on the ground. I think the play was down by contact, but, he couldn't have known that. He wanted to celebrate instead of picking up the ball. A special teams touchdown is called back because the defense is running out onto the field too early before the whistle is blown during a change of possession.

As dynamic and great as the defense was today, those are major negatives that make you wonder what the heck we're doing as a team to get it through to the players that being a talent is fine, but to be a football player requires some thoughtfulness as well.

Offensively you see Betts shredding the Cowboys, only to fumble on his way in. To his credit he's a rookie and may hopefully learn from that, but it's just not a smart play NOT to have covered up on the way into the end zone there. Thompson fighting for extra yards only to, again, fumble. Ramsey terribly overthrowing Flem in the slot. Time and again we flash the type of skill required to be a great team and time and again we see the very reason we can't be a great team.

We're just too stupid.

Fortunately today we were playing a Cowboy team we were just much better than in every area except perhaps punter. If we were playing a team with a little bit of talent on the other side we would have lost today. But, it was the Cowboys and this is just the type of thing we do against them. Who here didn't feel they would have recovered the onside kick after they pulled within 6? Who felt Watson would fall a yard short of the first and they'd have life? The curse of being beaten by the Cowboys was broken in a game where the curse was alive and well.

To me that's a huge deal. I'd preferred to have won big, but, perhaps it was better to win like we did where no one could question just how much better we were than Dallas throughout the roster, and yet, we fell into a series of situations that Dallas players know kill us. Dallas players know when we take a punch we fold. And today we didn't. Today we fought through.

Today the defense flashed what we hoped it might be. Today we showed the type of heart to win despite our mistakes because we actually created some on our own. Dare I say it showed a little heart? The ingredient so many here think we lack?

This team is much further along than last year's squad.

Yes, the offense makes too many mistakes. But, you can correct the mistakes we're making. Last year we wouldn't have made the same type of mistakes because we lacked the imagination to create the type of positive plays we see possible here. You can't correct that lack of imagination. You can correct the QB throwing a hair high. You can correct the receivers drops. You can correct the amazing fumbles.

(Speaking of fumbles, why wasn't Ramsey's fumble an incompletion? His arm was going forward and he didn't completely tuck. Anyone else see that?)

Carl Powell showed more positive plays in this game than Big Daddy did all year. You saw Gardener continue to flash in the backfield. You saw Lavar look fluid. You saw Champ cover like a glove. You saw Ramsey throw some beautiful balls. You saw our receivers generally pretty open. This team is coming together. Let it grow as a team. It is the team that broke that terrible streak. A new streak has begun. Build on this.

Originally posted by Art

(Speaking of fumbles, why wasn't Ramsey's fumble an incompletion? His arm was going forward and he didn't completely tuck. Anyone else see that?)

Raises hand.

I was shouting "Tuck rule! Tuck rule!" at the TV. The officials couldn't hear me, I guess. I'll shout louder next time.

Fortunately today we were playing a Cowboy team we were just much better than in every area except perhaps punter. If we were playing a team with a little bit of talent on the other side we would have lost today. But, it was the Cowboys and this is just the type of thing we do against them. Who here didn't feel they would have recovered the onside kick after they pulled within 6? Who felt Watson would fall a yard short of the first and they'd have life? The curse of being beaten by the Cowboys was broken in a game where the curse was alive and well.

I think your smoking crack.

Your MUCH better than the cowboys? How is that, because you have one more win?

If we had any consistancy on offense, at all, all year, we win that game today. If our d would have held you guys from getting a first down at the end, we had a chance to win it.

I don't think your much better, if better at all. You guys have major problems whether you want to see it or not.

But, this is what I expect to hear from you Art.

Good post Art,

I was screaming at the TV with the drops and fumbles, when you are fighting for extra yards you GOTTA cover the ball. Hopefully they learn.

I really liked Ramsey, thought he played well. We're gonna see those overthrows from the kid, but those I can live with.

An offseason of mini camps, etc.....he's a keeper.:cool:

Oh yeah. That wasn't even a tuck. He was throwing the ball.:evil: :evil:

And Ken... cry me a river you looser. :laugh:

Interesting reply Ken. Here's mine.

"I think your smoking crack."

Perhaps a hallucination stemming from your own knowledge of the topic?

"Your MUCH better than the cowboys? How is that, because you have one more win?"

Technically we have two more wins than the Cowboys. But, we're much better than the Cowboys for any number of reasons, whether we'd lost today and had the same record or not. We're better on offense. Our offensive line protects better right now and opens up better holes in the running game. Our running backs are faster, stronger, younger and more productive right now. Our receivers are actually able to get open. Bryant had a wonderful game and that's got to be encouraging for you. But, we're better at every spot on the offense right now in terms of talent and near-term potential. That's measured by production and a combination of age, value right now and current consistency on the field.

We're better almost everyone on defense. Not only have we given up fewer rushing yards on the year, but also fewer passing yards. We've had more sacks. It's not just me thinking we're better than you. It's the fact that we are that defines it.

What really stands out though is that the Redskins have young players to build around that have great potential and on-field performance to build on like Ramsey, Gardner, Samuels, Jansen, Smoot, Bailey, Arrington and Trotter. The only player you have, right now, that falls into the same category as any of the above players is Williams. Bryant may get there. But, so too may Thompson for us and Thompson for us had a better year. Gurode has been brutalized. He may improve as he gets in football shape, but, he started the year getting shredded by Houston and he ended the year looking like he'd long ago hit the wall. He MAY be a future player. But, right now he's not any more promising than Kenny Watson or Ladell Betts are for us and neither of them are in the same category as the guys above.

Essentially we're better because we are. And we're better because you are a 5-11 team every year and have no talent. You have hope in several guys. We do too. And we have other guys who are already able to surpass our hope (even if Ramsey probably still falls down a level from where I have him above) and shown the ability to actually play on a consistent level in the league.

"If we had any consistancy on offense, at all, all year, we win that game today. If our d would have held you guys from getting a first down at the end, we had a chance to win it."

You're right. I said in my post that if we were playing a team that was any good we'd have lost. I said exactly what you did except you wrote consistency instead of talent. If you were any good, you'd have consistency. You're no good. You have no consistency. It's pretty simple. You are ABSOLUTELY right though. If you were any good and able to be consistent you would have won. Thankfully you're not any good and aren't capable of consistency and you lost. But, you could have won if you were any good. Thanks for saying what I said.

"I don't think your much better, if better at all. You guys have major problems whether you want to see it or not. But, this is what I expect to hear from you Art."

Ken, I wouldn't expect you to know talent from a lack of talent because you believe a consistent 5-11 football team actually has talent. We won today's game by six and we did everything we could possibly do to lose. You lost today by six and you lost largely because your offense is so atrocious that no matter what we did to assist you, you had no ability to answer.

On Thanksgiving you did. Today you didn't. The difference wasn't you. It was us. We won and we played horribly. For us, that's a big step. Especially against you.

Archived