Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Halftime review.

Art

The curse is in full effect.

Receivers who have been catching everything all year, can't hold on to anything.

Ramsey who's been very accurate all year -- other than Green Bay -- is just a hair high or off.

We are running in for a score and it's their ball.

This is how we've lost games against the Cowboys. We completely own them and yet, they are right there. And this is usually when they come out and make another play or two on offense that gets us pressing and we wind up collapsing.

It's taking the punch back by the Cowboys we haven't been able to do. If we win this game, it'll perhaps be the best way to possibly win. If we win with the same formula most of our games go against them, then perhaps we'll throw off the curse for all and good. If we lose, we have nothing to look at but ourselves which is and has been our biggest problem.

The defense certainly has shown up this week. Like the offense last week carrying the team the defense is doing it this week. Can it keep it up? Offensively there's so much there that if we are an inch or two closer, or a catch or two more sure, we'd be up 28-0. But, we're not and this is the scary part of playing the Cowboys for this team.

A win here would be a beautiful thing because it'd break the hex in a game where the hex is so clearly there :).

My Take on our team's performance:

Winner: O-line

These guys have done an excellent job making holes. Jansen looked great on the fourth and inches run. Tre has been moving guys everywhere, and we've picked up the blitz. Everything we could ask for.

Loser: Marvin Lewis

To me, the stellar play of our defense indicates that our defensive coordinator doesn't know a hack from a handsaw. We have toatally abandoned "the scheme" and we look great. I can't wait to see this guy go.

-DB

To me, the stellar play of our defense indicates that our defensive coordinator doesn't know a hack from a handsaw. We have toatally abandoned "the scheme" and we look great. I can't wait to see this guy go.

and how do you know we've abandoned the scheme? We're in the same essential scheme.

The O-line has been great, the running grame average and the recievers aweful.

The defense and therefore the defensive coordinator needs to be given credit when its due. The offense has looked sloppy, they're still behind the curve.

I wouldn't get in too big a hurry to start patting the o-line on the back just yet.

Obviously they have had some good plays. The backs have had some big holes to run through all day. The long run by Betts on which he fumbled was wide open at the line. Watson has had some nice holes as well. If SS would stick with the run we would probably be dominating this game. Dallas just doesn't seem capable of stopping our running game. Their defense seems like it has taken a step back this year. For that reason I'm not giving the o-line to much credit yet.

The line also hasn't given PR very much time to throw. Patricks fumble is all on the line in my opinion. I've also noticed that SS is rolling hiim out a lot. Not a sign of a lot of confidence in the lines ability to provide protection.

I'd give the line a C at best today....and this is one of their better games.

The defense today is totally altered. We are playing press coverage. We're taking gaps and pressing the backfield. We're bringing extra men. We're giving complex looks and doing different things. Obviously all of this is "within the scheme" because Lewis is calling the plays, but, it's THESE plays that if this defense were allowed to do the whole year we'd be dominating.

As it is, unless Dallas does something with the ball we'll end up with a Top 3 defense at the end of hte year and this is the only game it feels like one.

Not trying to jinx things, but the streak ends today!!! Our players are fired up, especially the D. I think the players are finally fed up with the Dallas jinx. I hope. It would really make my day if Emmitt didn't get his 1,000 for the year.

I dont know the Cowboys are regaining some life again. We need to snuff this twinkle of life out.

Miss Cleo knew the Redskins were going to win too, so why apologize :).

Utah, don't fixate on what, essentially, is a meaningless conversation. Tre has been a HUGE addition to the lineup. The Eagles game we had our lowest offensive output in the last six games and Corey Simon had a huge game. In watching the beginning of that game you can't say it was a huge game though on Tre. Tre was pulling or trapping somewhere else on two early big plays by Simon.

Today when Glover laid Ramsey out on one play Tre got beat, but, by in large, the man has added a dimension to the line and helped us get somewhat on track as a team.

NorEastncfan, Smoot got beat. but I wonder if maybe Terrell was late again with the safety help. he got there late if he was to provide deep safety help.

Also, for the entire game we destroyed their offense with pressure. But on this play, the scheme was switched to a 3 man pass rush ........... guess what? TD Dallas. Marvin STILL HASN'T learned.

I don't know whether that was Smoot or Terrell really. It looked like Smoot was playing a zone and we had to be in cover three back there and Terrell simply bonked. But, no matter what, I agree Montilar. Why we didn't continue with the pressure is astounding. The way we were penetrating all game was beautiful. On a huge fourth down play we simply drop back and somehow with eight guys in coverage we let Bryant do a straight go and get behind everyone. I hate that play :).

Art, it's meaningless because your intial impression on Tre's performance in that game against Simon was wrong.

"Tre has been a nice signing. But, I'd hardly call what he did against Simon as all that encouraging. I believe Simon was in on eight tackles and most of the game he was directly matched up against Tre."

You've now looked at a few plays and saw what I saw. Now, that is obviously not the subject here so let's get by that. The subject here is the defense and after a few posts, it's scheme. Let's not get into a battle of words here. Let's discuss football.

Utah,

I haven't changed my thoughts at all. I think Simon didn't do all of his damage on Tre whether Tre was in the game at the time or not. I wasn't particularly encouraged by Tre after the Eagles game though because the guy lined up across from him all game did have a huge game. A lot of that huge game was scheme, and can't really be completely blamed on Tre. But, the facts are that Simon played great and Tre played a lot and Tre has been a HUGE signing for us and despite not being terribly encouraged by Tre in that game.

I'm not badmouthing Tre. I think you were speaking about how dominating he was. I merely said the guy directly across from him all day had his best game as a pro this year. No matter how dominating he was otherwise, that has to have a small factor even though some or most of what damage Simon did may not have really been directly Tre's fault. It's like giving up a sack when the running back doesn't make a block but everyone blames the offensive line. I think we all LOVE Tre and because of that we don't see his negative plays as clearly as we might see Brown's negative plays. I just know no matter the circumstance neither of us is looking for the nuance of the game and how Simon got to eight tackles and a sack if Tre was on the sideline and Brown was in there. We'd all be screaming about how bad Brown is. Tre wasn't "bad". I just wasn't all that encouraged either because we were STILL dominated inside even with Tre in that game.

As for keeping the discussion on point, feel free to my friend. I didn't change it in the first place :).

The same scheme? No not at all.

Through game 8 there was not a single play called where the recievers switched sides to cover the same man regardless of the lineup. I'd venture to say that that sort of play wasn't in the playbook. In this game, we switched on almost every play except for the only offensive touchdown. So when we did what marvin lewis specializes in they scored. When we did what spurrier wanted, we didn't.

Lewis came in saying that his way was the way to go, and he was wrong. I don't think you recover from that.

-DB

Archived