Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

An Extremeskin prepping to do a piece on the Redskins for NPR

Burgold

This Thursday, I'm going to be down at Redskins Park. I'm all set up on the 'skins sides of things, but the piece I pitched to Metro Connection is fan-based. I want to do a story on what it takes for us to get in mid season form, what a training camp regimine for fans would be like, crazy stories or fun stories about how you prep for a game, or sacrifices you've made to get ready for a game. Bizzarre (but not obscente) rituals you do to pump yourself up. Stuff like that.

Is anyone planning on being there Thursday? Practice is from 4-6. Honestly, it'd be great meeting some of you and I'd like to make you infamous or at least think that some of you are great characters with stories that worth hearing.

This Thursday, I'm going to be down at Redskins Park. I'm all set up on the 'skins sides of things, but the piece I pitched to Metro Connection is fan-based. I want to do a story on what it takes for us to get in mid season form, what a training camp regimine for fans would be like, crazy stories or fun stories about how you prep for a game, or sacrifices you've made to get ready for a game. Bizzarre (but not obscente) rituals you do to pump yourself up. Stuff like that.

Is anyone planning on being there Thursday? Practice is from 4-6. Honestly, it'd be great meeting some of you and I'd like to make you infamous or at least think that some of you are great characters with stories that worth hearing.

I won't be there but this sounds like an interesting piece. Good luck on getting participation. I'm sure you'll have no problems with that. I only hope the answers you get will be printable:D

Peace

Thanks! It's for radio, so I can do so minor editing chopping off a swear word, but I think that what we do and how we inspire ourselves and maintain our fervor could be fun. I'm hoping for a piece where everyone will sort of be laughing together at the craziness of what we go through for our team.

Nervous anticipation from the time I wake up on game day. A red beer at 9:00am for the start of the pregame shows leads to a calming buzz by game time (11:00am for early ones out here). Attire includes my wool, fitted script R cap that's only worn on gameday and an old 44 throwback jersey.

Then there's kickoff and any sense of calm is immediately dispatched. 3 hours more or less on the edge of my lazy boy and a bad week or a good week based on the results. I take it waaay too seriously and I'm no fun on a Monday if we lose. $350 this year for the ticket and superfan. That seems like an inordinate amount of money, but if you live in cryboi country you've got to step up.

I'm sorry I can't be there in person, that would defintely rock. Maybe one of these days. But we have our rituals out here in the provinces too. :)

Any chance you could get that on a .wav file kao :)

I have all sorts of ingame rituals myself. And people know they are not allowed to talk to me (especially ask things of me in a tight game or if we are behind :laugh:) I've been known to owe a few apologies to people I love immediately after a game, but they should know better!

Any chance you could get that on a .wav file kao :)

I have all sorts of ingame rituals myself. And people know they are not allowed to talk to me (especially ask things of me in a tight game or if we are behind :laugh:) I've been known to owe a few apologies to people I love immediately after a game, but they should know better!

:laugh: I've had a few over the top reactions my self on ocassion. It's a good thing they love us. I'll see what I can do about the wav file.

Very cool. You know, I hadn't really thought of that direction, but if any of you want to be in the piece (can't promise to fit all of you in) and can't get to the field on Thursday, but have the ability to make a WAV file. PM me and I'll shoot you an email address.

I'm basically looking for a training camp regimine for fans and the fun, bizzarre, crazy things we do to get ourselves pumped up for the season or for a game. Any rituals, habits. Are you curling beers, are you working on your forty yard dash time to the bathroom and back to make sure you get everything done before the commercial is done. Have you worked on a new playbook of insults to razz the opposition (whether cowboy fans in a bar or our opponents on the field) etc.

I wish I coould, but Jersey is a bit of a trip. I've only been to an XFL game once, never an NFL game. Never even tailgated, despite living in shouting distance of the Vet for a while. My pregame sounds a lot like KOAs. Only two or three friends are allowed over, those who love football only. I can't stand answering questions during a game. The night after a game, if we lose, I'm in bed before the Simpsons are over. If we win, chances are I'm out until two a.m.

This thread would do a lot better(I think) if it was in the Stadium. I think it's appropriate there as well, unless your only planning on keeping it rational. BTW, i've been asked to be on an NPR show myself, to talk politics.;) If I do it, i'll mention it.

Cool and congrats on the offer. NPR is a lot of fun and full of mostly really nice people.

I actually did post a similar thread up in Stadium. Ironically, this is one of the times I don't want sane, rational responses. I want exuberance and joy or fear and paranoia, but regardless high emotions.

Well then, the stadium is definitly the place for that. Good luck.

I've wanted to do some DJ stuff on 89.7 WDVR for a while. I listen to a lot of old country, bluegrass and rockabilly that most people don't know of. I think being invited to do the political piece might be my foot in the door. I'll be keeping my "alternitive" views to myself when i'm on the air, but i'll still give my perspective.

I haven't really done politics, but remember, you want to be contraversial enough that they bring you back, but not so controversial that they fear to bring you back. Also remember, the truth is your ally. If you don't know don't guess (unless you admit it's a guess) there are people hungrily searching to find every little error.

I haven't really done politics, but remember, you want to be contraversial enough that they bring you back, but not so controversial that they fear to bring you back. Also remember, the truth is your ally. If you don't know don't guess (unless you admit it's a guess) there are people hungrily searching to find every little error.

All lessons i've learned very well here in the Tailgate!

Archived