Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Darrell to Ring of Fame Sunday

70Chip

This has been up on the official site for awhile, but I haven't seen any discussion of it here (apologies if I missed it).

Darrell's Ring of Fame ceremony is going to be included in the pregame commemoration. Now he can be up there with the Redskins immortals --- like Wayne Curry. :rolleyes:

Green to be Immediately Elevated to Team’s “Ring of Fame”

12/27/2002

Cornerback Darrell Green will be elevated to the Washington Redskins’ “Ring of Fame” at a pre-game ceremony before his final game after 20 seasons with the team, the Redskins announced Thursday.

“There’s just no way to calculate the variety of on- and off-field gifts Darrell has given the Redskins’ organization, his teammates and the entire community,” said Redskins owner Daniel M. Snyder. “There will never be another like him.”

Fans are encouraged to be in their seats by noon to be in time for the ceremony. Stadium gates will open at 11 a.m. Parking lots open at 9 a.m. Each fan will receive a special Darrell Green commemorative item as he enters the stadium.

During the pre-game ceremony, Green’s name will be added as the 40th member of the Ring of Fame that lines the interior of FedExField. A video highlighting his career also will be featured. The Redskins also will present a check to Green’s foundation.

“When we first discussed a retirement ceremony with Darrell, he characteristically said he wanted no gifts,” Snyder said. “He asked we make a donation to the foundation and we were happy to comply.”

An additional gift for the foundation will be presented Green from Coca-Cola.

In addition to speaking before the game, Green will also make a halftime appearance for a raffle benefiting his Youth for Life Foundation. He also will remain on field following the game to provide an opportunity for fan interaction.

I hope a lot of guys out there are taping this game. I may want a copy some time and it's not being shown here in Greensboro so I'll be doing the bar thing.

Farewell Mr. Green. You're the best!

I hope we've got one more victory for you.

Archived