Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sporting News--Redskins-Boys

Blondie

What do you think is Darrell Green’s Most Memorable Play?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is Darrell Green’s Most Memorable Play?

• 1983 Running down Tony Dorset.
    • 1986 Running down Eric Dickerson
    • 1987 Breaking up a Wade Wilson to Darrin Nelson Pass
    • 1987 52 yd punt return for a TD
    • 2002 knocking the down a game winning TD from Torry Holt

Why To Watch

Although both teams will miss the playoffs, this is an important game for Washington coach Steve Spurrier because he remains winless against NFC East foes. Spurrier's first season has been anything but dull; he has made several quarterback changes and has gone from a pass-heavy offense to a more conservative run-oriented attack in the span of week.

Wins and losses matter most, and the Redskins have lost more games than they did a year ago. Spurrier needs a victory Sunday to snap Dallas' 10-game winning streak against Washington and head into a critical offseason with back-to-back wins.

Speaking of critical offseasons, Cowboys owner/GM Jerry Jones appears ready to fire coach Dave Campo and try to hire Bill Parcells out of retirement. And who know how that will impact the future of running back Emmitt Smith.

Cowboys Keys For Success

1. Force Redskins quarterback Patrick Ramsey to stay patient. Ramsey completed only 14-of-32 passes Sunday against the Texans, but he did throw two touchdowns and completed three passes for 25-plus yards. The Cowboys have one of the worst pass rushes in the NFL, but defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer must not blitz Ramsey and give him the opportunity to make big plays downfield. Zimmer should move his cornerbacks off the line and drop seven men into coverage, reducing the possibility for big plays and forcing Ramsey to throw underneath or force the ball into coverage.

2. Be productive on first and second downs. Against Philadelphia on Saturday night, the Cowboys failed to convert any of their 12 third-down attempts. The Dallas offensive line is struggling in pass protection, and Washington had four sacks against Dallas on Thanksgiving Day. Obviously, the Cowboys cannot afford to create long passing situations on third down. Dallas, which called only 19 runs last week, must run the ball more often and eliminate penalties to create short third-down attempts.

3. Make big plays on special teams. The Redskins' coverage teams are porous, and the Dallas offense needs all the help it can get. Joey Galloway returned a punt 71 yards Saturday night, and Woodrow Dantzler returned a kickoff for a touchdown earlier this year and always is a threat to break a long return. In addition, Washington's Craig Jarrett had a punt blocked Sunday and the Cowboys must take advantage of any breakdowns in Washington's blocking schemes.

Redskins Keys For Success

1. Continue to run the ball. On Nov. 28 against Dallas, Redskins quarterbacks threw four interceptions, including one that was returned for a touchdown. Washington ran the ball 46 times for 247 yards and two touchdowns Sunday and should repeat that game plan this week to take pressure off Ramsey, a rookie who will be making his fourth NFL start. The Cowboys' run defense has been outstanding, yielding only 3.8 yards a carry (tied for fourth-best in the NFL).

2. Throw to the running backs. Just two of Ramsey's 14 completions Sunday were to his backs, and he must do a better job of getting them the ball when nothing is available downfield. Running backs Kenny Watson and Ladell Betts are effective receivers who get upfield quickly after a catch. The Dallas linebackers have had problems covering running backs this season, too.

3. Force Dallas quarterback Chad Hutchinson to win this game. Washington's front seven has had problems stopping the run, and Emmitt Smith rushed for 144 yards against Washington in Week 13. The Redskins, however, have the cornerbacks to play man-to-man outside and allow defensive coordinator Marvin Lewis to stack the line against the run. Lewis should use some eight-man fronts to slow down the running game and force Hutchinson -- one touchdown and five interceptions in his last three games -- to win this game with his arm.

The Bottom Line

The Cowboys have beaten the Redskins 10 straight times, the NFL’s longest active streak of one team beating another. But with rumors flying that this will be coach Dave Campo’s final game, Bill Parcells perhaps coming to Dallas and the team having lost its last three games (including its last two by a cumulative score of 64-10), it’s hard to see the Cowboys closing out another disappointing season with a bang. It will have taken Washington’s Steve Spurrier 17 weeks to get it, but look for the rookie coach to get his first NFC East victory and fulfill the promise he made to owner Daniel Snyder when he took the job—that he can beat the Cowboys.

Pick: Redskins 24, Cowboys 13

Don't ya just love it!!!!

Blondie

Originally posted by TXfbluvr

Don't ya just love it!!!!

Blondie

Nope! This streak has gotten to where I don't love ANYTHING that goes on before the game. Doesn't matter to me who thinks who will win or why. All that matters is finding a way ... any way ... to win this game and stop the embarrassment.

Good article, though. :)

I'm not sure I agree with the keys to the game. Throwing to our RBs is not what I want to see. We've finally got a QB who can get the ball to our WRs and that's where I want the ball...I want to challenge that Dallas secondary.

If we have to throw underneath, how about using our TEs? It's not as though they're doing anything useful otherwise.

I think Ramsey will be able to remain patient. The games he's had trouble in were ones where he was running for his life.

The real key, of course, is turnovers. If we turn the ball over more than twice, we'll lose.

I think his tip #3 (make Hutch win the game) should be #1. I'm getting really tired of watching Emmitt run over us.

I notice him advising the 'Boys drop 7 into coverage. Doesn't sound like he's respecting the run game, much. (Granted, they seem to have done well stopping our run for a while. It might work).

Hard to argue with those keys really. Keep the ball on the ground, have Ramsey hit some underneath, and just stop Emmit. That would be a nice start to ending this streak. Stopping Emmit. :cheers:

As always, thanks for the read Blondie.

the real key to this game has nothing to do with X's and O's. What it comes down to is knocking the crap out of people :D

if the 6-9 Redskins come out and stick a hat on everything that moves and show the 5-10 Cowboys they aim to win the game and use the homefield, the Cowboys will fold just as they have the past 2 weeks.

with a new head coach coming in nobody on Dallas is going to be looking to go out on a stretcher out of loyalty to a lame duck.

make the game costly in terms of the toll you take on personnel, that is something this team has not done in these series games in a number of years...............and hence, the reason the Redskins have not won.

Originally posted by bulldog

the real key to this game has nothing to do with X's and O's. What it comes down to is knocking the crap out of people :D

if the 6-9 Redskins come out and stick a hat on everything that moves and show the 5-10 Cowboys they aim to win the game and use the homefield, the Cowboys will fold just as they have the past 2 weeks.

with a new head coach coming in nobody on Dallas is going to be looking to go out on a stretcher out of loyalty to a lame duck.

make the game costly in terms of the toll you take on personnel, that is something this team has not done in these series games in a number of years...............and hence, the reason the Redskins have not won.

Now your talking !!!

Archived