Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are we better off getting another OG?

gbear

It always seems to me that the best OLs are the ones that have been together for awhile. It always seems to take time to gell.

Look at the colts a few years ago when they hardly gave up any sacks. The credit went to them keeping their Ol team together.

Look at us last year. we went through training camp without a set OL. As a result it took half a season for our OL to look good.

This year, I'd point out that we have had a revolving door at both OG spots. It hasn't been until the past few weeks that our OL has looked decent at all.

So, that being said, who here would throw a fit if we went into next season with Tre, Vickers, Stai, and a rookie (not starting) as our 4 guards? Loverne has looked horrible to me, but maybe you all see sstuff I don't. Vickers is atleast strong in a limited space. He's just not a left tackle.

Tre J was WTEM saying how he is going to hit the weights two weeks after the season with Ken Harvey and work on his conditioning with a female 100 meter champ.

So Tre J may have to be registered as too dangerous for a D line if he is successful in both endeavours.

Stai is coming off an injury is in his 30s and was being pushed around prior to injury, Vickers sucks.

None of those two guys gets me excited about knocking guys on their a$$ or being that great a pass blocker.

We need youth on the line with size and nastiness to go with Rock Jansen and Samuels who will be back in probowl shape with an offseason to heal.

I'm really sorry to say this - because I like Tre' - but if your goal is to build consistency and stability, you can't have Tre' in the starting lineup. Over and over, his injuries killed us.

I don't care for Stai and his cap hit isn't anywhere near worth his value.

The Colts had a fine line a few years ago, but they didn't feel confident in Moore and brought in Ryan Diem, a 4th round pick out of Northern Illinois U..

All we're seeing is sort of average OL play and we're mistaking it for good OL play. Ramsey's on his back after every pass. We'll kill the kid (and see the return of Danny Weurffel) if we don't make changes.

The way I see it we are both competing in the draft and free agency for a WR, OG and a DE/DT. Dallas could also use an OT and a CB and you guys could use a safty and a TE. IMO you could use 2 OGs myself but my bet is Dan will use both the first and second pick on fast WRs with good hands, there are so many good ones this year.

Our problem will be who is the new head coach and what will be his slant. Your problem will be geting two quality smaller but quick OGs. Lots of big ones out there but few are fast that I have seen.

I believe we need to address both the guard positions in the offseason. I'd like to see Tre stay around as a backup, but as for the rest, I'd say goodbye. That includes Stai. He has been overhyped for the last couple years. I think he may have had a couple of decent years in the beginning, I think with Pittsburgh, but that's it. I don't think spending a 1st rounder on a guard is too wise though. We should be able to get good quality in the 2nd and 3rd.

If Rod Jones and Tre were both willing to put in an off-season of conditioning I think we could have a really good OL next year:

LT Chris Samuels

LG Rod Jones

C Larry Moore

RG Tre Johnson

RT Jon Jansen

Of course we wouldn't stand pat with that lineup. Personally, I'd like to see us sign a decent veteran G to compete with them, and also try to get a good G candidate in the 3rd round of the draft this year. (DE and WR are too important in the 1st and 2nd.)

HTTR!

I wondered about this same question, but I think it ultimately relies on the talent level of our OL. We have a bunch of guys in there at OG who dont really have the talent to be starting. We're looking better because the chemistry is developing. But if we have a chance to sign or draft a guy whose talent level is better, then i say we go for it. We can easily have a competition in training camp next year and then by the first game they should start knowing what the guy next to them is about to do. I do want to get some consistency on the OL but not in place of talent. We just need to solve this problem as soon as possible and not let it drag into the season like we did last year.

If there's any part of our team that embodies the Redskins franchise, it would be our offensive line. We've built some of the greatest offenses in NFL history with 5 nasty, mean, M-F!@#ers up front. I, for one, am hoping we'll continue the tradition that has made our franchise so successful.

There's been a lot of talk about which draft round to take the OG we desperately need. Let's look at where the most recent Pro Bowlers were taken (includes selections and replacements):

Ruben Brown 1

Alan Faneca 1

Larry Allen 2

Will Shields 3

Ron Stone 4

Adam Timmerman 7

Ray Brown 8

Bruce Mattews 1

Ruben Brown 1

Randall McDaniel 1

Steve Wisniewski 2

Larry Allen 2

Will Shields 3

Ron Stone 4

Bruce Mattews 1

Ruben Brown 1

Randall McDaniel 1

Larry Allen 2

Tre Johnson 2

Will Shields 3

While this last year shows that a Pro Bowl OG can be found in most any round, the first and second rounds seem to be the place.

Archived