Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Coach of the year?

gbear

If the season ended today, who would you think had done the best job as a coach this year?

My top three in order:

1) Fisher. His team had every reason to give up. George hasn't been the same and Mcnair is playing hobbled. Kearse has been out. Despit all of that and a terrible start, he has his team in the playoffs and positioned fairly well.

2) Brian Billick: I thought the Ravens were a 4 win team at best based on tallent. Ah shucks what do I know? He's got them with an outside shot at teh playoffs on the last weekend. My hats off.

3) Andy Reid: The Eagles look good. He's done a good job with his first string QB in there. He's done a better job with his backups in there. Impressive.

Fisher's done a good job, but he got whipped by the Redskins, so he loses style points there. Ditto for Dungy, who did turn the Colts' defense around.

I think they'll give the award to Reid. He's done a fine job, but I hate that it's at Philadelphia. BTW, Dick Vermeil could get a vote or two.

Edited Portion: You know, if the Giants beat the Eagles and make the playoffs, you might consider Fassel. Talk about a 'stealth' candidate!

Gotta go with Fassel. If you remember the preseason guesses, the Giants were written off by all the "experts" for, at best, a mediocre season. The fact that they are in position (provided they win against the Eagles) to make the playoffs after being left for dead several weeks ago says alot about the coaching. Hmmmm...I bet Tom the Giant's Fan would agree.

Another candidate would be Capers of Texas. I think his team has done quite well for an expansion team. Not only have they won 4 games, but they have been close in several others.

There have been quite a few top caliber coaching jobs done this season.

IMO, two stand out above the others:

1a. Sherman

1b. Reid

Choosing number 3 from among the others seems impossible to me.

- I agree with Dirk that Callahan has had a fantastic rookie coaching season.

- Williams in Buffalo, Billick in Baltimore, Fox in Carolina, and Capers in Houston have all gotten their abominable rosters to perform beyond their abilities.

- Mariucci in San Fran has really "coached up" a bunch of young players during the last two years. Reeves in Atlanta also deserves some kudos for the same feat.

- Fisher in Tennessee and Dungy in Indy get high marks for bringing their teams back after a string of losses for each team. But just like Marty last year, if you're going to give a coach credit for the comeback, then you've got to give the coach responsibility for his team falling into a hole in the first place.

- Finally, you've got to give Gruden in Tampa the credit he deserves. It ain't pretty, but he came in and got them winning what is probably the toughest division in the League.

Maybe next year Spurrier will earn a place on the list of the better coaches in the NFL. Right now he's got to be considered in the lower half ... along with Campo and "Coach of the Year" Marty :laugh:

HTTR!

What's this fascination with Reid??? Didn't the Eagles play in the NFC Championship game last year? It's not like he took a bunch of misfits and turned them around. If you're gonna nominate Reid, you also should nominate Callahan(?) from the Raiders.

Granted McNugget went down, but do we forget....one player does not make a team.

No one coach stands out this year unlike other years. The NFL has become very mediocre.

Originally posted by ljer

What's this fascination with Reid??? Didn't the Eagles play in the NFC Championship game last year? It's not like he took a bunch of misfits and turned them around. If you're gonna nominate Reid, you also should nominate Callahan(?) from the Raiders.

Granted McNugget went down, but do we forget....one player does not make a team.

No one coach stands out this year unlike other years. The NFL has become very mediocre.

Yes well, the Eagles did go 11-5 last year, and didn't even earn a bye. They have improved considerabley this year, and obviously McNabb isn't the whole team, but so many people thought so before his injury. Going 5-0 without your franchise QB is a great feat, and it's why hes a main candidate. There are others too, but why doesn't he deserve it?

Archived