Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Curtis Martin deserve to be in the Hall of Fame???

SloppyOneXXVI

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

You can't really compare Martin and Monk. Curtis Martin never held any major records while Monk held the single season, and all-time receptions record at one time. I think Martin was a good steady player, but I don't think he deserves to be in the Hall of Fame.

Martin does have the oldest league-leader (rushing) record, which in my opinion is a pretty good one.

You can't really compare Martin and Monk. Curtis Martin never held any major records while Monk held the single season, and all-time receptions record at one time. I think Martin was a good steady player, but I don't think he deserves to be in the Hall of Fame.

I dunno. When you're the 4th all-time leading rusher, have scored more TD's than all but a select few, and have played on some pretty good, winning teams, I'd say that makes you a HOFer.

I mean geez, have you seen who they're letting in? I can list 10 players right now that are less deserving than Martin.

IMO:

Here is what stands out for Martin that puts him in the HOF his first year of eligibility:

7 out of 11 years in the top 10 in rushing yards with 4 in the top 5.

8 out of 11 years in the top 10 in total yards with 4 in the top 5.

As a rb he was one of the very best (top 10) at his position during most of his career.

IMO that's one of the things that hurts Art. During Art's 16 years he was only in the top 10 in yards 3 times.

TheFan

IMO:

Here is what stands out for Martin that puts him in the HOF his first year of eligibility:

7 out of 11 years in the top 10 in rushing yards with 4 in the top 5.

8 out of 11 years in the top 10 in total yards with 4 in the top 5.

As a rb he was one of the very best (top 10) at his position during most of his career.

IMO that's one of the things that hurts Art. During Art's 16 years he was only in the top 10 in yards 3 times.

TheFan

That's a pretty inconsistant comparison, considering, typically, there are 32 starting running backs in the league, but 64 starting receivers.

Right, but he was never flashy, he doesn't ahve the dreaded "signature play." He didn;t self-aggrandize. Lead the league in rushing like twice. All he did was consistantly and quietly put up good numbers, for a long time.

I liken him to Troy Aikman. He didn't win championships like Troy did but he was clearly a cut above. Troy played in the same eras of Elway and Marino. Both of those guys put up superior numbers and both had more publicity attached to there careers. It wasn't Troy's fault that he didn't play in the kind of offense that allowed him to put up the kinds of numbers Elway or Marino did. Aikman was not flashy. He was just very efficiant. I see the same things in Martin. He was overshadowed by Emmitt and Barry. Both of those guys were great RBs. Your probably talking about 2 of the top 5 guys to ever play the game at there respective positions. That doesn't mean that Martin wasn't a great player. Just happened to play at the same time two other all time great players played. I do believe he should be a 1st ballot guy.

I suppose time will tell.

That's a pretty inconsistant comparison, considering, typically, there are 32 starting running backs in the league, but 64 starting receivers.

Obviously it's easier to be in the top 10 as a rb than it is as a wr. I don't think it invalidates the point though. Through 16 seasons you'd think a HOFer would crack the top 10 at his position more than 3 times.

Here are some HOF wr's to compare to:

James Lofton - 8 out of 17 years in the top 10 in yards.

Michael Irvin - 6 out of 12 (had to add him in there:) )

Charley Taylor - 6 out of 13

Don Maynard - 9 out of 14

Lynn Swann - 3 out of 9

John Stallworth - 4 out of 14

Stallworth looks like a good comparision to Art, but John was in the top 10 for receiving TDs 5 times compared to Art's once. It also doesn't hurt that John has a signature moment or two.

Personally, I'd like to see Drew Pearson (5 out of 11) and Art Monk in the HOF. Both were the class of our teams in some of their better years.

TheFan

TEN straight 1000 yard seasons. I may be a softy, but I'd give him first ballot.

His resume includes no MVP's, no OPoY's, no big-time big-game performances, and a bunch of stat compilation on a series of mediocre teams.

He belongs in the Hall for being long-lived and classy in addition to his rushing mark as 4th all-time, but he's not a first ballot kind of guy.

Besides, if Martin goes in on his first ballot, then so does the Bus.

depending on whatever team Curtis Martin involved in buying, there's a chance that what he did on the field as a player and what he does as an owner could warrant him getting into the HoF.

Curtis Martin reminds me a lot of Art Monk... he was one of those players that was damn good yet no one talked about him too much in the media.

Archived