Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Say it ain't so: Might Davis don the silver and blue next year?

goldenster95

Notebook: Davis' time might be running out in Washington

12/26/2002

By CHIP BROWN / The Dallas Morning News

IRVING – The Cowboys will meet the Redskins on Sunday with Washington running back Stephen Davis sitting on the sideline with a shoulder injury. Could Davis be on the Cowboys' sideline next season? Don't rule it out.

Davis renegotiated his contract in Washington before this season and has a salary cap figure of $11.4 million in 2003. With Davis vocally unhappy about his role in first-year coach Steve Spurrier's offense, there is speculation Davis will be released after the season. Davis has a no-trade clause in his contract with the Redskins, which runs through 2006.

Why might the Cowboys be players if Davis is cut by the Redskins? For one, his agent, Steve Weinberg, is from Dallas and has a friendly working relationship with the Cowboys. The other is if Bill Parcells becomes coach. Parcells' offenses have been built around banging running backs such as Curtis Martin, Rodney Hampton and Ottis Anderson.

The Cowboys, however, are moving up the draft board thanks to their 5-10 record. They could draft as high as No. 3 next year if they lose Sunday and Houston (4-11) and Chicago (4-11) win. The Texans play host to Tennessee, and the Bears are home to Tampa Bay.

If the season ended today, the Cowboys would pick fifth in the draft behind Cincinnati (2-13), Detroit (3-12), Houston and Chicago. With the fifth pick, there is good reason to think the Cowboys might end up with Miami running back Willis McGahee (should the sophomore declare for the draft) or Penn State's Larry Johnson.

But if the Cowboys win Sunday, a 6-10 record puts them in position to fall to as far as ninth in the draft order, depending on how other teams with similar records finish. In that case, the Cowboys could fall too far to be in the running for McGahee or Johnson.

Then, Davis probably re-enters the picture. Davis will turn 29 in March. He had three straight seasons of at least 1,300 yards rushing before Spurrier arrived. Davis carried the ball nearly 150 fewer times through 14 games than he did last season, and he will finish with only 820 yards. He has averaged 4.0 yards a carry the last three seasons.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dallas/cowboys/stories/122602dnspocowup.1d6c6.html

I would not be surprised. I thought there was a fair chance Jones would give Westbrook a shot this past offseason on a make it type deal with the Cowboys....................

Davis at 29 could have 3 or 4 more solid years to play in the NFL given the fact he didn't start playing regularly until age 25.

The NFC East could be a very competitive division in the near future if the Cowboys' Hutchinson improves, they get Parcells as the coach and the Redskins are able to rebuild around Ramsey and the other younger core players like Bailey, Samuels, Jansen, Arrington and Gardner.

When you look at the other divisions in the NFC, I could see the East being on the clear rise as early as 2003 :)

I'd rather see him in Dallas than Philly, since in Philly he'd fill a major missing piece in their O - none of Philly's RBs impress me, probably because I'm a sucker for the traditional smashmouth NFC East game. He'd also turn the Gints back into strong contenders - he's better than Barber and Dayne combined. The Girls will continue to be bottom-feeders, though Davis would probably get season highs against us every year... :doh:

I think releasing Davis may well come back to haunt us, especially if Watson and Betts don't live up to expectations (can anybody say, Timmy Smith...)

Originally posted by Henry

Let me get this straight: If we lose to the Cowboys on Sunday, we may trade Davis to them for their #1 pick?

Let me wrap my brain around that an I'll get back to you.

No, it's not a trade at all. The idea is that we will RELEASE Davis because of his cap number (this part is already a foregone conclusion). The writer is simply saying that, if the Cowboys won't be in a position to draft a premier running back like Willis McGahee in April, they would likely be interested in signing Davis. So no, we don't get a draft pick out of it.

Originally posted by riggo-toni

I think releasing Davis may well come back to haunt us, especially if Watson and Betts don't live up to expectations (can anybody say, Timmy Smith...)

I dont buy into all this fear of Davis heading to Dallas. First of all, there's no way Davis causes half the damage that Emmitt Smith has inflicted on us over the years. I'll be relieved to see anybody BUT Emmitt carrying the ball when Dallas plays us. So who carries the ball for Dallas should be the least of our concerns.

Secondly, I am sure that our defense knows as well as anybody that Davis loves to cough up the ball at crucial times. :gus:

Originally posted by Larry Brown #43

No, it's not a trade at all. The idea is that we will RELEASE Davis because of his cap number (this part is already a foregone conclusion). The writer is simply saying that, if the Cowboys won't be in a position to draft a premier running back like Willis McGahee in April, they would likely be interested in signing Davis. So no, we don't get a draft pick out of it.

Now that makes more sense. In that case I agree that this is nothing we haven't already thought about. I'd much rather see Davis go to Dallas than to Philly. I don't know if the Cowboys have enough pieces in place that Davis would make them any better than they are right now. RB has never really been their problem.

But Davis would be a huge upgrade in Philly. I wouldn't like to see that.

I was not in favor of jettisoning Davis if a deal could have been arranged, now it appears that the decision has already been made so what we can do is look to see whether it makes sense on the merits.

Davis is a quality back. He has run for 100 yards for us in some big games going back the past 3 years. He was our only offensive weapon in 2001 and the early part of 2002 as well.

That said, he may not be the best fit here for the future either in terms of his physical skills or his contract.

Davis is a decent pass receiver but does not have breakaway ability. I can imagine the backs here in 2003 becoming more like the Philly tandem this season, where the rushing and receiving yards are closer and we gameplan to get Watson and Betts isolated on linebackers over the middle and to the outside.

Running backs have really not been a key for us in the passing game since Joe Washington was here, although Ernest Byner was a good receiver as well.

And from a contract standpoint, if your leading back is going to get around 200 carries instead of the 350 Davis had last year, are you really going to want to pay that player $5 or $6 million a year even on a restructured deal?

You are probably going to want to use that money to solidify the WR and OL spots so Ramsey has better targets to throw to and a better interior line to protect him.

All of this doesn't mean Davis won't be a productive player elsewhere.

But just as Bettis left the Rams via trade for the Steelers and made them a better team, that did not prevent the Rams from constructing a winning program with a different offensive philosophy under Dick Vermeil.

It's not so much what the team does or does not do with Davis, it is what the team does as a RESULT of its decision on Davis that counts for us :)

If we end up spending the extra money on receivers that can't catch and linemen that can't block or stay healthy, then we will have come a cropper for it...................

If we do get productive players at those spots, and Watson and/or Betts becomes an everydown back for us then it will have been a good move.

You know, I appreciate all Davis did while he was here. I know he's a formidable back ... especially behind a good line.

That being said, facing him doesn't scare me. Teams that have keyed on stopping him are usually able to do so. He doesn't run through tackles like he used to. I don't think he runs with the same burst that he did 2 or 3 years ago.

I don't think letting him go will haunt this team.

The odds are he won't go to the Eagles. I say that because he is not the prototypical receiver/running back, and he can't hold the ball, as the Eagles know tto well. It's my opinion that the running back by committe they have is better than the output they'd receive from Davis. I have been reading that their future is in Buckhalter, Staley and Westbrook, and id doesn't get much better that that for the money. They can all catch and run, and turnovers are minimal.

I do like the Lions scenerio!:cheers:

Apparently no one is thinking about this.

If (WHEN) Davis is released, he goes on the waiver wire. Just like Deoin. He must CLEAR the waiver wire to be able to pick the team he chosses to go to.

ANY team that is interested in picking him up off of waivers can put in a bid. the team with the worst record gets the claim.

And, he may count 11 million against the skins, but he won't against whoever was to take him. He'd only count the base salary against a team that picked him up. think any teams out there would consider picking him up off waivers, then take a chance on either renegotiating the contract or paying him the skins negotiated contract?

If I'm Houston, I do it instantly. Davis would give Carr the RB he needs, and they could concentrate on using the draft for other needs.

That's why I have very faint hope that Daivs and the skins can work a deal with a team of Davis' choice despite the no trade clause, giving the skins a mid or low draft pick. probably not likely but if Davis really favors one non NFC east team.....

Not so fast...

Collective Bargaining Agreement

ARTICLE XXII

WAIVER SYSTEM

Section 1. Release:

(a) Whenever a player who has finished the season in which his fourth year of credited service has been earned under the Bert Bell/Pete Rozelle Plan is placed on waivers between February 1 and the trading deadline, his contract will be considered terminated and the player will be completely free at any time thereafter to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with any Club, and any Club shall be completely free to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with such player, without penalty or restriction, including, but not limited to, Draft Choice Compensation between Clubs or First Refusal Rights of any kind, or any signing period. If the waivers occur after that time, the player’s Player Contract will be subject to the waiver system and may be awarded to a claiming Club. However, if such player is claimed and awarded, he shall have the option to declare himself an Unrestricted Free Agent at the end of the League Year in question if he has a no-trade clause in his Player Contract. If such player does not have a no-trade clause and the Player Contract being awarded through waivers covers more than one additional season, the player shall have the right to declare himself an Unrestricted Free Agent as set forth above at the end of the League Year following the League Year in which he is waived and awarded.

-----------------------------

So, assuming that Davis is released Feb 1 - then if I am reading this right (the part in bold) -- Davis will be completely free to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with any team.

So then, if we released Davis anytime between now and Jan 31, assuming he doesn't have a No Trade Clause (does he?), he would be subject to waivers and obligated to spend at least one season with the claiming club. Possibly two, when the heck does a League Year begin? Under that scenario there's very little chance he'd go to a division rival since there's teams like Houston and Detroit that would probably claim him first.

Of course, any claiming team would then have the option of trading him but at that point the possibilities become endless.

And, he may count 11 million against the skins, but he won't against whoever was to take him. He'd only count the base salary against a team that picked him up.

Montilar, the reason Davis is scheduled to count $11.5M against the cap is because he's scheduled to make $10M. ($7.5 salary, and $2.5M roster bonus). (Now, if his new team waits until after the roster bonus date, do they get to avoid that?)

I think it's a safe bet that the rest of the league will pass on the waivers, wait for him to become a FA, then begin bidding. That way, his first paycheck can be mostly bonus (and likely smaller).

Not to Dallas in my opinion. I would love to see VA Tech's Suggs in Dallas. For some reason I do not see him in Philly but I just cannot put my finger on it why.

"Unless Dallas addresses there terrible offensive line, no running back will be effective over the entire season.

Davis wants out, let him go.

Last edited by bubba9497 on December-26th-2002 at 03:39 PM"

I have to agree with you there Bubba, at least one if not two OTs and at least one OG. Of course OG has been you all's carry over problem from last year. But at least you are set on tackle and center this year and for years to come.

Archived