Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Rose by any other name FO thread

Burgold

". I'll work closely with Joe Mendes and Mr. Snyder and Vinny."

What do you think of this Spurrier quote from Thursday's Wash Post. It suggests a couple of things to me. One, he isn't anticipating the firing of anyone. Two, I find it interesting that we have two surnames, and a first only. Is that a respect thing, a friendliness thing? Am I just reading too much into it, but each of the three are presented differently. It's not Joe, Dan, and Vinny. It's not Joe Mendes, Dan Snyder, and Vinny Cerratto. It's not Mr. Mendes, Mr. Snyder, and Mr. Cerratto. Just find the way he chooses to name people interesting. Just like how slowly Darkarian evolved to Darnerian... or last year, Schottenhiemer evolving from Dan to Mr. Snyder by year's end.

Originally posted by Larry

OTOH, it's possible that he's referring to each person in the way that preson prefers to be addressed.

I'm not reading too much into it, but I guess it is noteworthy that Spurrier had been referring to Snyder in a more familiar way earlier in the season. But who knows, he might start calling him "Dan" again tomorrow.

I do recall that progression with Marty. Marty called him "Dan" early on, but it evolved fairly quickly into "Mr. Snyder."

I recall Spurrier using "Mr. Snyder" at his opening press conference. I don't know that I've ever heard him or seen him use "Dan" to address Snyder. I know Marty did and evolved to something else, which was absolutely interesting. I just can't recall that happening with Spurrier.

Originally posted by Art

I recall Spurrier using "Mr. Snyder" at his opening press conference. I don't know that I've ever heard him or seen him use "Dan" to address Snyder. I know Marty did and evolved to something else, which was absolutely interesting. I just can't recall that happening with Spurrier.

To the best of my recollection -- and I could be wrong -- Spurrier has gone back and forth on this all year. I seem to recall him using "Dan," "Dan Snyder" and "Mr. Snyder," each at various points this season in different radio and television appearances. That's why I'm not reading too much into it.

Spurrier's contract and Dan Snyder's effort to move heaven and earth to get him here buy him a lot of time.

He may have said he is going to 'cooperate' with others in the selection of players, but you can bet that as with Gibbs after the first couple of years, his 'say' is going to be greater than almost anyone else's :)

If Spurrier is successful in turning this program around you are going to see Mendes and Cerrato atrophy like an appendix and it will be Snyder and Spurrier making the decisions with input from a PD that Spurrier knows and brings in from the outside.

Ruskell?

That is my guess anyway.

Don't think you can read a whole lot into the way the names were mentioned . . .

Joe Mendes: his full name was used probably because Mendes is the cap guy and, for that reason, the person Spurrier has the least contact with among the three . . . since he's not on a "first name, buddy, buddy" basis with Joe, he uses his full name . . . and he doesn't use Mr. since Joe's not his superior . . .

Mr. Snyder: folks in the South always use a Mr. or sir as a sign of respect for their superiors . . . Spurrier might've used Snyder's first name either because Snyder wanted him to do that or because of a slip-up . . . the first is the more probable and probably the true reason . . .

Vinny: Cerrato is, much unlike Mendes, a talent evaluator, not a number cruncher . . . hence, he's got more daily contact with the Ball Coach than does Mendes . . . because Cerrato and Superior are "closer" in that way, the name "Vinny" is used . . .

Archived