Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Spurrier to hire offensive coordinator

88Comrade2000

Spurrier to hire offensive coordinator

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ESPN.com news services

Washington Redskins coach Steve Spurrier said Tuesday that he plans on hiring an offensive coordinator next season.

Spurrier told ESPN's Andrea Kremer that he even though he will add an offensive coordinator, the Redskins' head coach will still call the offensive plays.

The Redskins have struggled offensively at times this season, and were unable to find stability at the quarterback position, using three different starters.

The running game was also inconsistent as power back Stephen Davis may have been underutilized at times. In fact, Davis will be released during the offseason, sources told the Washington Post on Monday. Davis, who will not play in the season finale because of an injury, ran for 820 yards on 207 carries this season. Davis carried the ball for 356 times (for a career-high 1,432 yards) the previous season.

The Redskins are 6-9, having averaged 19.1 points per game, 10th best in the NFC. The Redskins finish the season against the Cowboys on Sunday.

"I can see now why head coaches that call the plays still have an offensive coordinator," Spurrier told Kremer. "And I'm planning on doing that next year. I'm planning on giving one of our coaches that title, even though I'll still be the play-caller and actively more involved with the offense. But it would give me more of an opportunity to interact more with the defense and special teams players by having a guy that can sort of run the offense while the head coach is running the entire team."

Kremer's complete conversation with Spurrier will air during NFL Countdown on Sunday at 11 a.m. ET.

My guesses in order:

Lawson Holland - longest tenure as a Spurrier assistant

Hue Jackson - Spurrier praises him often and the running game is one area that Spurrier knows is not his strength

Kim Helton (sorry ASF) - Possibly the most qualified in terms of NFL experience

Brindise - might be a little too young and inexperienced to be a NFL coordinator

SS jr. - same as Brindise

DW would be the best suited for that and unfortunately since he played well enough to hang around as a backup, he'll be on the active roster next season.

Next would probably be Noah since he's been around the system for a long time and works with QB's.

Jr might be a good receivers coach but up not sure about moving him up to OC, even if it is just a 'title'.

I wonder what Lewis has to say about SOS wanting to get more involved in the defense. He never 'gets more involved' unless he feels things aren't going right.

I never got the impression he was not paying attention to the defense, thoug one could read into this that he may be sticking his head into the door of the DC's office a bit more regularly. I wonder if he means he'll be paying a bit more attention to the players themselves?

:cheers:

hey...the local paper down here (norfolk, va) had a quote from Fred Taylor of the Jags about how the TItans coach had his players flying around with abandon and real energy. Taylor went on to say that was symptomatic of SOS teams at Fla and that he thought Coach Fischer was an SOS-like coach in this regard. hmmmmm....have we seen that kind of energy here? will SOS get the people who play this kind of ball next year?....let's hope so!!!!!!!!

This is similar to what Norv eventually did -he still called the plays but had Robiske as the passing game coordinator and he had a running game coordinator. When Gibbs coached, there were some minor complaints from the defensive players that Gibbs didn't really come around and show some interest--Gibbs got the message. This is a good move on Spurrier's part--especially keeping an eye on special teams-I don't have much faith in Stock.

There's no need to put Waffle on the coaching staff. He's more important as a player than he is as a coach.

Doering, on the other hand, could be useful on the sideline. I'm not sure about his "intelligence" so to speak, but if he's an upgrade over our current WRs coach, then go for it.

Well, he probably does, but you have to admit whether it's senior or junior... our receivers have made some strides this year. There's an appreciable improvement from Gardner last year to this year in his ability to hang onto the ball, Thompson has responded etc.

This isn't the first time Spurrier has done this. In 1999, he brought in Buddy Teevins (now the HC at Stanford) to replace the departing Carl Franks (now at Duke). Teevins was known for his organizational skills and he organized SOS's playbook and Spurrier even named him his passing game coordinator. So it puts more responsibility on an assistant or 2 but IMO, doesn't diminish Spurrier's effectiveness. It's still his ball plays and his play calling, so I see this as a positive in that it'll leave him more time for other areas of the team. It may not have been possible to do this the first year as it was a huge learning curve for many of his assistants and they probably needed to become 100% comfortable in his system as well. Not SOS jr or Brindise mind you, but to give them the responsibility in their first year in the NFL may have been asking too much. It seems appropriate now after getting acclimated after one full year in the NFL

Even in Philly, Reid has a similar scenario. First Dowhower and now Brad Childress as the OC, but Reid still calls the plays.

Archived