Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN shake on Dallas Coaching Situation

riggins44

Two Dallas-area newspapers reported Sunday that Dolphins offensive coordinator Norv Turner could be a potential coaching candidate for the Cowboys next season if Campo is not retained.

Here is part of ESPN.com's story on Dallas and their coaching situation. Link to entire story at bottom.

According to the Morning News, Jones had gauged the interest of Turner through a third party and learned that Turner was interested in coaching the Cowboys if given the opportunity.

And according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, an unnamed source told the paper that Turner is interested in the job. When reached at his home Saturday night by the newspaper, Turner said he has not been contacted by the Cowboys.

In an interview with ESPN's Chris Mortensen on Saturday, Parcells insisted that he has not been offered a coaching position by anyone. He said he would only go to the right situation for him.

When asked about Jones' performance as Cowboys' GM, Parcells told Mortensen: "He wants to win. I wouldn't consider going to an organization that doesn't have this attitude."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2002/1221/1480752.html

Jones is measuring the talent pool. All we know at this point is that Campo is gone. Anything beyond that is speculation.

Personally, I'd love to have Norval to smack around twice a year. Wouldn't it be great to have the offensive genius being upstaged by the 'Ole Ball Coach? :D

Originally posted by Storm

Im not sure I want to face Davis twice a year.

Wouldn't bother me as long as he was being coached by Turner. That dynamic duo didn't exactly vault us to the top of the division. I doubt it would for the Pokes, either.

Wouldn't bother me as long as he was being coached by Turner. That dynamic duo didn't exactly vault us to the top of the division. I doubt it would for the Pokes, either.

Actually Turner was able to get quite a bit out of Davis. Remember that his first two 1000 yard seasons were under Norv. so I would expect Davis to go back to his old ways. \

On top of that he has two decent threats at reciever (Rocket and Galloway) that we never had--which will help open up the run more.

Every coach has gotten at least decent production out of Davis. My point was that it hasn't made the team win more games. Who cares if he gains 1000 yards if your going to be 8-8?

The team doesnt scare anyone as far as a division threat goes. However, my point was, that since the 'pokes already seem to beat us biannually with minimal talent, I wouldn't want to face stephen Davis in addition to that.

Especially if Emmit Smith stays on that 1-2 punch will be our worst running back nightmare.

hiring Turner would be the best thing for the rivalry :)

there is no getting over the harsh feelings toward Turner here in DC.

he would be as polarizing a figure as George Allen was for the Cowboys back in the 1970's...........................

Turner I am less worried about. He has skill as an OC but has so far failed to show the type of leadership you need to be a top HC.

Parcells on the other hand IS the kind of guy you DON'T want to see on the other sideline.

He is a coach that gets 10% more out of a team than other people can, just as Joe Gibbs and Bill Walsh were able to do.

And he had a happy hex going when he was with the Giants against the Skins.

At one point he won 6 straight over the team.

Bring on Turner and let the fun begin :D

Several articles written last night and this morning by the Star-Telegram and, I believe, the Morning News as well said that currently there is only one choice on Jones' list and it's Parcells.

Randy Galloway, a writer for the Star Telegram, actually asked a Dallas executive to rank potential choices. The guy, in a perturbed tone, said that there was only one candidate basically.

Though speculation remains that if Parcells can't be reeled in, Holmgren is #2 on the list (I doubt he gets fired in Seattle), and Turner is #3. Marriucci, if let go, would be on the list but that is a long shot as well.

We're supposedly wanting to keep the WCO in tact, which would seemingly eliminate Turner. But if Parcells doesn't happen, my money is on Turner.

What a let-down that would be. You go from hoping Parcells is the guy to finding out Turner is the guy. Ugh.

Though a dead goat is an upgrade over the current head coach.

Parcells effectively has the right of first refusal. And that's as it should be frankly.

As for Norval, he actually does run a version of the WCO in that his receivers all use timing routes and the QB is expected to progress through the routes in an assigned order, and to hit the WR's at certain points. Norv's version, however, is from the Zampese school which uses larger linemen and power running as opposed to more draws and traps and finesse running that the traditional WCO uses. So I don't think that the desire in Dallas to retain the WCO is a prohibitive obstacle for Norv's hiring.

Originally posted by Rdskns2000

Under the new minority policy; any nfl team is required to interview one minority.So even if it's Parcells; JJ has to interview one minority first.

PLEASE tell me you are kidding about that!!! That is complete and utter horsesh#t if true. What will it be next?

Archived