Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Deion update

redskin56

Monday, December 23

Sanders reportedly visiting Raiders about comeback

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ESPN.com news services

Deion Sanders apparently is going from the talking stage to the meeting stage as he contemplates coming out of retirement and joining the Oakland Raiders for the playoffs.

Sanders, a CBS studio analyst who's two years removed from his playing days, is expected to arrive at Raiders camp sometime Monday to discuss joining the team, a team source told the San Jose Mercury News.

The Raiders confirmed Sunday that the club has contacted Sanders about possibly playing again. Sanders' agent Eugene Parker told ESPN there was no offer made by the Raiders and that talks were in the preliminary stages.

Sanders, a cornerback, retired after the 2000 season and 11 years in the NFL. He was a Washington Redskin at the time of his retirement.

Yet contacted late Sunday night, Sanders told ESPN.com that the chance to add a third Super Bowl ring to his collection, with an Oakland team that has now won a third straight AFC West title, was tempting.

"Like I've always said, I could roll out of bed tomorrow morning, and be able to cover," Sanders said. "That will never go away. What was missing was my desire to do it. I mean, I left the game on my own (terms), because the fire wasn't there. But here's a team in the playoffs, with a real chance to go to the Super Bowl, and an owner who always wants to win.

"I always felt like I might look good in that black and silver (uniform), you know?"

Sanders confirmed discussions with the Raiders had not yet reached the substantive stage and said he will weigh the ramifications of what a comeback might mean to his family. A source close to Sanders told ESPN.com on Sunday night that financial parameters have not been discussed but said a deal might be struck quickly if the Raiders are serious.

And Sanders' agent, Eugene Parker, noted that the public acknowledgement of mutual interest by both parties could hasten an agreement, if there is to be one.

"You know how it is," Parker told ESPN.com. "Once something like this picks up momentum, there's a chance, especially if the Raiders people get really serious about it."

Meanwhile, the Washington Times reported Monday that the Redskins are considering whether to file tampering charges against the Raiders for contacting Sanders in violation of NFL rules. The Redskins own the rights to Sanders.

The Times did not cite sources for its report.

The Redskins placed Sanders on the "reserve retired" list last year after he refused to report to new coach Marty Schottenheimer and retain his rights indefinitely, according to the newspaper. The Raiders were required by NFL rules to get the Redskins' permission before contacting Sanders.

Redskins sources told the Times that the club was not aware that the Raiders were pursuing Sanders. The Redskins on Sunday night still were analyzing Sanders' statements in an effort to determine whether they should request sanctions against the Raiders by the league, the newspaper reported.

Sanders, 35, made seven Pro Bowls as a cornerback and won two Super Bowls -- with the 49ers after the 1994 season and with the Dallas Cowboys the following year -- in 12 seasons.

Raiders cornerback Charles Woodson, who had missed the previous two games because of a cracked right fibula, played briefly in the first quarter against Denver on Sunday but changed out of his uniform at halftime. He said after the game that he would not play in Oakland's regular-season finale on Saturday against the Chiefs and probably would not be ready until the second week of the playoffs.

Oakland's other starting cornerback, Tory James, has missed the past two games after having surgery to stabilize a broken bone in his right leg. The Raiders started Terrance Shaw and Clarence Love for the second consecutive week as the Raiders beat the Broncos 28-16.

It's unclear what kind of deal Sanders would get, but players receive salary for the regular season only; the team could add incentives to the deal that would count against the salary cap in future years.

Nothing would make me happier than for Deion and the Raiders to work a deal and for us to be able to kill it or get so much for it that we come out smelling like a rose!

And then have the Raiduhs lose in the first round of the playoffs due to a long, late TD pass against a badly-burned Sanders. :laugh:

Yes, I am that vindictive when it comes to that fool.

The Skins own his rights. If he wants to play he has to get the OK from the Skins. If we want compensation, the other team will have to surrender if they want to sign him.

I just hope the FO doesn't give the rights away for nothing. We swallowed his cap numbers already. If they aren't willing to give up enough. Let him sit behind a desk and rot!!

If the Raiders sign him while his rights have been retained by another team that amounts to Intentional Interference with Contractual Relations and is actionable. The Raiders would have to give something to the Redskins in order for him to play.

If this thing gets weird, Snyder could go the Al Davis route and Sue him and the Raiders and get an Injunction forcing Deion to remain sidelined.

Archived