Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Campo Fired!

Skins24

Posted on Mon, Dec. 30, 2002

Jones' plan: My Way or the Highway

By Clarence E. Hill Jr.

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

IRVING - Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said any decision on Dave Campo "would be quick", well, it was.

Immediately after the loss yesterday to the divisional rival Washington Redskins, Jones meet with Campo and told him to pack his bags.

This was Campo's third straight 5-11 season as a head coach of the Dallas Cowboys. He leaves with a record of 15-33.

"He's not a very good coach," Jones said. "This should have been done a year ago."

Discussions with Bill Parcells are still on going, but no progress has been made.

"We really want Parcells," Jones said at the press conferece. "We really need someone who knows what's going on out there. Right now Coslett will be the interm coach, and if we can't get Parcells, he'll be our coach heading into next season."

Yesterday's loss to the Redskins ended a 10 game winning streak against their rivals. The Cowboys managed only 3 points for the second straight week.

"It's very fustrating," Emmith Smith said. "This whole situation, it's very fustrating. We suck."

Dave Campo spoke only briefly at the press conference. He was not at all surprised at the decision.

"I know I'm not a very good coach, I'm surprised I lasted this long." Campo said with a chuckle.

Despite his many failures, this was only his first lost to the Redskins.

When asked what he'll do now, Campo said that he planned on contiuning his career in the NFL, as an assistant not a coach.

"Well, I have been an assitant and I have been a head coach" Campo said. "I prefer being an assistant."

When Coslet was asked about the situation, he prefered not to comment.

"I'm not going to talk about this right now," Coslet said. "But I would like to say, Campo does suck and we all know that. I, for one, am glad he's gone. Now if only we can get rid of god- er, Jerry Jones."

With so many pieces not in place, this once great franchise seems to be heading down the tubes for the forseeable future.

"Oh, I think we'll be just fine" Jones said, when asked how he sees the future of this franchise. "As a matter of fact, I see no reason why we can't compete for the division title next season."

Who know the Lone Star would also be the Wishing Star.

Staff Writer Jennifer Floyd Contributed to This Report.

(some of this MAY have been made up)

;)

this damn article is so well written that it just about suckered me in to announcing it on the radio. i'm "live" on the radio right now until noon, and i was reading this, making note to talk about on my show.

great writing....you just about got me!!!!!

Originally posted by jaydean

this damn article is so well written that it just about suckered me in to announcing it on the radio. i'm "live" on the radio right now until noon, and i was reading this, making note to talk about on my show.

great writing....you just about got me!!!!!

Dude you're joking, right ? How'd you get past this date on the very first line and keep on believeing :

"Posted on Mon, Dec. 30, 2002 "

Or how about the 2nd sentence in the article:

Immediately after the loss yesterday to the divisional rival Washington Redskins....

A couple of dead giveaways, ey ?

Archived