Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL Network Radio reports 'Skins will be interested in Tank Johnson.

DTN Redskin

I just don't see Gibbs being interested in a guy like Tank. Is he as bad as Pac-Man - probably not, but he is displaying the same habitually poor judgement. The guy spent what - six months in prison and all the while the Bears supported him. What exactly does it take for it to finally sink in?

Character issues aside - how is he going to help this team this season. The chances are remote at best. The guy likely will not be anywhere near football shape. If we could be certain that during his time away he would be diligently studying the playbook and keeping himself in shape - perhaps then, but again, the Bears made it clear that one more infraction would cost him his job. What does he do - he goes out and gets arrested yet again knowing full well the consequences. Is football even important? What is important to Tank?

Too many questions marks for me personally though he likely will find a job somewhere...

Weinstein reported that he has 17 speeding tickets since he got his license in '97.

Everybody speeds...If you are a young big black guy in a $100k+ sports car you are bound to draw attention. I had a red corvette when I was his age and I couldnt stop at a light without every police officer in the vicinity focusing their attention on me. I sure part of it is because they are guys and guys like nice cars.

While I do not directly compare the two individuals, if Joe could employ Dexter Manley, he COULD work with Johnson. Whether or not he SHOULD is the next question. If anyone can help Tank, it would more than likely be Joe Gibbs.

Yes, but Gibbs didn't go out and draft Dexter knowing he had the problems he had. Those all surfaced after he came into the league and Gibbs cut him after his second screw-up.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be upset if we at least TALKED to Tank to get a feel for what he's about and try to see where he's at.

Lovie's always been known as a softie, like Dungy. Maybe he needs a guy like Williams to keep him in line. :whoknows:

so, all of you tank haters who dont want him cuz he is a bad seed and a "thug" surely want the skins to cut ST also right?

oh wait, hypocrites

Sean Taylor was on the team when his troubles started. We stuck by him and he's turned it around. What you're saying is the Redskins should go out and find problem people and see if we can fix them while they help our team. I'm sorry, but I don't think Gibbs wants to run a rehab center or a halfway house. Comparing Sean Taylor and Tank Johnson is like comparing apples and oranges.

Sean Taylor was on the team when his troubles started. We stuck by him and he's turned it around. What you're saying is the Redskins should go out and find problem people and see if we can fix them while they help our team. I'm sorry, but I don't think Gibbs wants to run a rehab center or a halfway house. Comparing Sean Taylor and Tank Johnson is like comparing apples and oranges.

yup. the Skins felt ST was a saint before they drafted him and were completely CLUELESS about his potential for straying. It just all MAGICALLY happened after he was drafted and joined the Redskin feel good about ourselves community . The implications of that line of thought...are also interesting!.... :doh:

Probably for the same reason the Bears let him go...

That he was falsely charged with a DUI? :rolleyes:

You also forgot the assault and resisting arrest charge in there, slick...as well as what he said to the arresting officer: "You ain't the only one with a Glock. If it wasn't for your gun and your badge, I'd kick your ass."

As well as carrying a concealed weapon illegally under the driver's seat of his car.

Not sure why anyone would want to chalk up his behavior as a "mistake in paperwork".

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Yeah Calfan, Cops are always fair, nice and honest. :laugh:

It could be that he had a concealed weapons permit in the other state and failed to transfer it, I really don't know. State laws vary heavily in that regard and he may have done more than just screw up the paperwork, true enough. But did he not already serve his time for that?

Honestly we don't know the full story, but hey he made a mistake and from everything he is saying at this point it "seems" as though he has man'd up, paid for and admitted his error. I don't know if we should sign him or not, but he would help out our DL and I can only hope Gibbs has looked into it. I trust he has more knowledge of the situation then we do.

Johnson isn't going to help anyone until the 9th game at the earliest. Having missed camp and all the season games, what shape is this guy going to be in to help anyone in 2007 even when eligible?

If Johnson were available immediately and was clear of suspensions and/or other troubles, then perhaps he would be worth looking at.

By Game 9 the Redskins season is already going to be either made or busted out.

Goodell says he woulld reduce it to 6 games if Johnson stays out of trouble. We could make a signing contingent on that. That is just about the time history shows we can expect another injury from our current starters.

Johnson isn't going to help anyone until the 9th game at the earliest. Having missed camp and all the season games, what shape is this guy going to be in to help anyone in 2007 even when eligible?

If Johnson were available immediately and was clear of suspensions and/or other troubles, then perhaps he would be worth looking at.

Actually if a team signed him now he'd be able to take part in training camp and preseason. His suspension doesn't start till the regular season.

But I wouldn't touch him. The guy has a clear pattern of behavior that suggests he'll continue on the same road. Some can turn it around, but the odds are they won't.

Thoughts? I really don't think this guy is the thug the media portrays him to be. He could really help our run d later in the season. Only time will tell and he has to sit 8 games anyway.

It should be a no-brainer that the 'skins (and probably 1/2 the teams in the league) would be interested in a talent like Johnson for basically nothing (no picks, etc.).

This is great. If nothing else....certainly it can't hurt to at least talk to him....and see what Joe thinks. We would be stupid to not at least fly him out for an interview.

C'mon man, haven't you watch Live Earth? Meeting thru televisions rather than flying everywhere will save our planet. Save our planet Danny! ahhh hell what am i saying.. Save the Redskins Danny!

Has everyone replaced their lightbulbs & infalted their tires?

:cool:

Okay...I need a little explanation. Sirius NFL Radio reported that Tank Johnson is due $500K this year and that any team that picks him up is only responsible for half of it. IMO $250K for 8 games is a good deal....

However, will he be allowed to practice with the team? What is the extent of his suspension? Is it like Pacman Jones'? From what I understand, Pacman is not allowed to workout or practice with the Titans.

If Johnson has to sit 8 games and can't practice with the team during this time...he won't be worth it at all. If he CAN practice with the team during his 8 game suspension...well then this is the Deal of the Century!!!

League minimum contract maybe otherwise no dice.

According to the police report, Johnson was arrested near the Level night club around 3:45am when an officer attempted to issue a citation to Johnson because a limo he'd hired was obstructing traffic.

Johnson said what are probably the words least likely thing to get you out of a ticket when he informed the cop, "You ain't the only one with a Glock. If it wasn't for your gun and your badge, I'd kick your ass."

A struggle ensued when the officer tried to arrest Tank, and the officer sprayed him with Mace and required the assistance of other cops to finally overpower and cuff him. Because of injuried suffered during the struggle, Johnson spent part of Sunday getting an MRI after being released from jail.

Amazingly, Johnson was not charged with any weapons violations Sunday. Guess he was bluffing about having a Glock. Was it left in the limo and the cops didn't search for weapons? Was he smart enough to leave it at home? Because he wasn't smart enough to leave the dangerous toys at home last June, leading to an arrest outside Excalibur for carrying a concealed Ruger 9mm handgun under the seat of his SUV.

He eventually plead guilty to a misdemeanor stemming from that arrest and is currently on probation. No word yet on whether his arrest this weekend violated terms of his probation and could land him in some real hot water.

Sorry, but no. You didn't bother to read the original post in that thread, and I'm sorry for that. I quoted in right below, highlighted it, and enlarged the font. I didn't bring up race. In fact, I explicitly said that race was irrelevant. Re-read it if you missed that.

The point that I was trying to get across to you was that we have not been discussing race in this thread. The subject of race, your quote and font that you are referring to are actually all from a completely different thread and if I'm not mistaken another forum altogether.

In other words, please let it go. Your point has been made even where it's not a point of topic. :)

You have a point that good people can do bad things, I will give you that. However, Tank, in terms of playing for us right now, has done too much to warrant a contract.
Ok, according to who exactly? Are you also going to decide whether or not in the future he has been branded a criminal long enough and is now a good enough of a person to play for the Washington Redskins?
If he straightens out, and I really hope that he does, then I'd welcome him. Until then, with his record and his present situation, he is not welcome. You can't negate his reputation before entering the league, his length legal history, and his current lack of any indication that he learned from his mistakes.
Well, I guess that this answers my question above. You are the one who will determine whether or not Tank is good enough for this team. :silly:

No, you are absolutely correct, you cannot negate his rep or legal history. But at the same time I don't believe that you can condem him because of it either and say that he is not good enough play on our team.

Our team has class; Tank Johnson does not. The latter should conform to the former, not the other way around.
I definitely see where you would have concerns for our team with us possibly bringing in a personality like Tank. But, the Bengals have a squad full of guys that have allegedly been involved with some pretty shady ****. But IMO their team is led by a coach with incredible integrity and because of that the Bengals will remain a team with class, as would ours.

I want anyone who helps us be a better team ,and Tank does.. so yes, i would love to sign him. He didn't even commit a DUI nd got cut for a past mistake he has done his time for and has been following the law ever since. IT shows he was responsible enough to only have 1 or 2 drinks and be able to drive home not not get trashed it was just a case of a cop picking on him. People that does happen.

If we can sign him to a low low deal. Let's do it. I know he has had problems with the law, but his teammates love him.

yea because he is a great guy.

Some people are just trouble prone and they dont do anything more than anyone else, it's just they get in trouble for it. stupid petty ****

where were you for the 2005 season? :doh::doh::laugh::rolleyes:

anything can happen. and by week 9 we will be playing out 8th game. means he will be playing for 9 out of 16. not so bad at all really

Archived