Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins are 6-2 this year when they run the ball!

The Houston announcers said the Redskins are 6-2 this year when they run more then they pass, and 0-7 when they pass more then they run. :rolleyes:

Makes you wonder what IF this season -- if the Redskins had run more often then they passed in all 15 games? :rolleyes:

Shouldn't this send a message to Spurrier about the need for a balanced attack -- or doesn't he see the NFL picture yet? :doh:

Sorry, you are WAY off base. The Skins have lost this year because of one reason and one reason only......turnovers. Look at the points off turnovers and that is the difference in just about all of our games. We have run and passed OK at various times this year. We win when we don't turn the ball over and lose when we do. Look it up. The don't run enough/pass too much argument is moot because turnovers are the key.

Yeah but you are forgetting one thing 2cents.

There were several close games in which the Redskins had been running the ball well and then Spurrier ABANDONED the run and started passing -- and with our lousy quarterbacking and pass protection, the INT's, sacks and fumbles ensued.

You can't tell me we couldn't have won a couple of more games -- if we had run the ball more often. You had to be an idiot not to run against the Jacksonville run defense. :laugh:

You are missing the point BIG TIME. Spurrier has no problem running the ball if the running game is working. If it's getting stuffed, he's going to pass the ball. I was at the Jaxonville game and I don't care how the jags are rated, they were stuffing the run.

Also Steven Davis DOES NOT fit this running game. He kept his job this year because we were in a sense obligated to him because of his salary and past glory.

You are missing the point BIG TIME. Spurrier has no problem running the ball if the running game is working. If it's getting stuffed, he's going to pass the ball. I was at the Jaxonville game and I don't care how the jags are rated, they were stuffing the run.

Stevie didnt stay with the run long enough to find out how the Jaguars run defense was. I dont care if he ran it 7 times in a row and was stuffed. you stay with it because over an entire game and 25-30 runs you average out to a decent average.

you go to the pass if you can pick up chunks of yards with little effort in the air. But during that game the pass game was essentially ineffective also. But he kept at it--like beating a dead horse.

They should have been able to throw the ball in that game. Actually, Matthews should have been able to throw. The plays were out there if he had just made good throws. If he had thrown better early, the running game would have opened up and we would have run more. It all works together.

The 6-2 when run more stat is still bogus because we always run more when we have a lead just like every team in the NFL does.

Originally posted by Storm

Stevie didnt stay with the run long enough to find out how the Jaguars run defense was. I dont care if he ran it 7 times in a row and was stuffed. you stay with it because over an entire game and 25-30 runs you average out to a decent average.

Sorry, is that some kind of "new math" thing? 1+1+1=80 ? :laugh: Dude you are talking football cliche's. When in doubt Spurrier is going to go to the air because that is what he does best. It's what he should do regardless of what the book of infinite football wisdom says.

Originally posted by inmate running the asylum

Yeah right, Mad Mike..... so I guess when Spurrier admitted after the losses that he was mistaken in thinking "that we could throw the ball up and down the field all day".... he was suffering from amnesia. :laugh:

No more so than all of the people who have dissagreed (to put it mildly) with me this year regarding Steven Davis and were proven wrong. :cool:

So lets look at this logically guys.

We have THREE backs on this team capable of rushing for 100 yards per game in Davis, Watson and Betts.

We have two has-been quarterbacks, suspect pass protection and one rookie quarterback with little experience.

And now some of you guys are saying it was correct for the Skins to pass the ball 50 times a game or as soon as they got off the bus? :laugh:

Sorry, is that some kind of "new math" thing? 1+1+1=80 ? Dude you are talking football cliche's. When in doubt Spurrier is going to go to the air because that is what he does best. It's what he should do regardless of what the book of infinite football wisdom says.

Okay lets talk more Cliches, "the proof is in the pudding". Here are the passing stats for that game:

27/50 256 1TD 2INTs

Bad passing day in anyones book. I dont care what "spurrier does best" it wasnt working and he was too stubborn to admit it until after the game. If you dont wont take my word here it is from the horse's mouth, Spurrier himself:

"I was dumb enough to think we could throw it up and down the field, like at the end there," Spurrier said. "We ran a little bit here and there. We had a little success there early, and I got away from it too much. The second quarter, I kept thinking at midfield, we could throw the ball from there. But we didn't do it very well. So, looking back, I called a lousy game."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A35550-2002Nov10.html

This is one of the most lisleading stats out there.

6-2 when they rush for 100 yards or more. Well, a 100 yard rushing game doesn't necessarily mean that the focus in the game is on rushing.

It means that the team is having success moving the ball.

If you're throwing for 500 yards in a game, chances are pretty likely that you've also run for like 150 in the game too.

Just for kicks, maybe someone look up what the record is when teh team passes for more than 300 yards... bet it's pretty good too, huh.

The bottom line is in wins against the Cards, Titans, Colts, Rams and today against Houston we won because we passed well enough to open up the run. Only against Seattle did the running game actually WIN for us. In each other contest we passed so effectively we were able to come out on top because the opposition had to respect what we were doing and the running game was open.

This is classic Spurrier fellas. The Redskins run plays based on what you are doing. If you are playing the pass, we run. If you are playing the run, we pass. It's not all that complex. Today was even a bit different because we were passing more than we were running until we ran the final 16 times we had the ball. That's 16 STRAIGHT runs. So, really, we were just trying to eat up the clock.

The games we've had the most trouble is when we've not been able to pass against run fronts. Matthews just was not willing to hit the very open receivers we've had all year. He was too much on an internal clock and got rid of the ball so early he wouldn't let the same things develop that Ramsey and Wuerffel have. One thing continues to amaze me is that we really do have some receivers incredibly open.

I'd say Special teams has had a huge impact on some close games this year. Even in some of our wins, special teams miscues(using nice words) made the games a lot closer than they should have been. Look at today, special teams play gets the Texans in the end zone. New Orleans, 2 special teams miscues put the game out of reach just when Ramsey had regained some composure and so on and so on.....Special teams play matters the most for teams like ours that is not good enough to just pull away in games no matter what quality of opponent is. If we could score 50 points a game, then special teams could take a backseat.

"So, looking back, I called a lousy game."

Sounds to me like he was pointing to the "infalibility" of hindsite as well. It's easy to say that you should have done something else when what you did, did not work.

My point is that as a coach you do what you do best and you keep doing it with a team that has not figured it out yet. You cant learn to pass the ball by running. If you want to develop a team to pass, you pass. Spurrier should stay true to his plan.

To say we lost those 7 because we didn't run enough is putting the cart before the horse. Remember, we we're down quickly in many of those losses because of our turnover issue. Houston and to some extent Tennessee and Arizona were closest games to what Spurrier wants -- a significant lead going into the late third to fourth quarter (most of the time achieved through the air or a shutdown defense) then power running with the occasional pass mixed in to finish it.

BTW, this is why Davis fits well into Mr Spurriers offense as designed. Davis is at his best when there is a significant pass threat and late in games when you've got a solid lead.

Archived