Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

You gotta go deep in this league

Loxley

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/10193430

Yay we got props for a change!

"A team like the Redskins may be sitting in the middle of the pack in the NFC, but if injuries become a critical factor around the league, Washington has a very good chance of surviving. Quarterback Mark Brunell, running back Ladell Betts, wide receiver Antwaan Randle El, offensive tackle Jason Fabini, guard/center Ross Tucker, defensive end Renaldo Wynn, defensive tackle Joe Salave'a, cornerback Fred Smoot, safety Pierson Prioleau and linebacker Lemar Marshall make up an impressive group of nonstarters on the team's roster."

This is the end of the article, he is discussing depth on teams after the starters basically, its a good article.

Alright! Thanks for the bone, Pat! Nice to see us being actually recognizing for building depth. I'm all about depth and think it's vital if we're going to make a serious playoff push. So long as #17 stays on the track he's on, having solid backups at every position ensures we can be competitive in every game.

Nice to see us actually get mentioned for having some depth. Most of the NFC East rivals fans give the skins no credit for depth no matter how much you point it out. We have good backups almost straight across the roster. If we could manage to find one good DE this team could be stacked from top to bottom. Unlike last year we will be able to sustain an injury here and there.

Gee I thought this thread was about having a "Rams" type offense with multiple, sure-handed, speedy, deep-receivers and a QB with a rocket gun. Pass deep to get down the field quickly is the way to go in today's NFL. Defenses are too loaded with extreme-atheletes nowadays to allow for a dink-n-dunk offense or a run-run-run to set up the pass scheme. Skins need to get with it ... the conservative Gibbs-type of Redskins offensive football no longer works ... go deep often I say.

Gee I thought this thread was about having a "Rams" type offense with multiple, sure-handed, speedy, deep-receivers and a QB with a rocket gun. Pass deep to get down the field quickly is the way to go in today's NFL. Defenses are too loaded with extreme-atheletes nowadays to allow for a dink-n-dunk offense or a run-run-run to set up the pass scheme. Skins need to get with it ... the conservative Gibbs-type of Redskins offensive football no longer works ... go deep often I say.
Your right, no way a dink and dunk team like the Patriots will do anything with that offense.:doh:

I find it amazing that someone could look at this razor thin roster and think there is any real depth here.

We have no starting LG. We are trying to convert a RT to play there. Behind him, there's nothing starting caliber even if he is. If Wade can't do it, we are hosed six ways from Sunday. Our o-line depth isn't any good. Fabini? That guy couldn't even play on the Cowboys line and they are terrible.

We have no #2 WR. Lloyd is terrible. El is a #3. Behind them, we have poor options.

We have no #2 TE. We have Cooley and a 7th round rookie.

We have 1 quality DE who is also the only 1 DE that is a pass-rushing threat: Carter. We have no depth at DE. We have 1 quality DT starter in Griffin. We are praying that Colston can hold down the job. The rest of our D-line depth is full of spares and has beens.

If Springs stays, we are ok at CB, but if he goes, we are royally hosed (that's what razor thin means). Springs is a #1 CB. Neither Rogers or Smoot are. Macklin is spare. A CB chart of 1. Springs 2. Rogers 3. Smoot is a good CB chart. A CB Chart of 1. Smoot 2. Rogers 3. Macklin is terrible.

____

We do have depth at QB, which is nice.

We have depth at RB with 2 quality starters and a decent #3.

We have some depth at LB.

We have some depth at Safety.

There is that theory that the game is won in the trenches, and we have holes at starting positions there and little depth there. That's concerning. I really hope we don't go after Briggs now because LB is a strength. Address the lines.

I am happy to hear that we are going to keep all of our draft picks next year because that is how we build depth. If we could find a solid possession WR as a #2 WR, a decent CB prospect, get some quality line players to develop in the draft, and hope that our picks this year pan out, then we could be a team with real solid depth and on the right track.

If I could optimize the depth chart, I would do it like this and look to fill the holes:

QB: Campbell, Brunell, Bramlet/Palmer

RB: Portis, Betts, Rock

FB: Sellers, _______

TE: Cooley, _______, Edwards, Ecker

WR1: Moss, Lloyd

WR2: ________, Lloyd

WR3: El, ________

LT: Samuels, _____

LG: ______, Pucillo

C: Rabach, Tucker

RG: Thomas, _____

RT: Jansen, Wade

DE: Carter, ________

DT: Griffin, Big Joe

DT: Gloston, Montgomery

DE: ______, Daniels

SLB: Washington, Campbell, _____

MLB: Fletcher, Marshall, Blades

WLB: Rocky, Marshall, Sartz

CB1: Springs, ______, ______

CB2: Rogers, Smoot, Macklin

Nickel CB: Smoot, Macklin, Jimoh

FS: Taylor, PP

SS: Landry, Fox

How about this:

Where would you like to see the Skins get more depth at and who are some players you would like to see added to the roster?

There is that theory that the game is won in the trenches, and we have holes at starting positions there and little depth there. That's concerning. I really hope we don't go after Briggs now because LB is a strength. Address the lines.

I am happy to hear that we are going to keep all of our draft picks next year because that is how we build depth. If we could find a solid possession WR as a #2 WR, a decent CB prospect, get some quality line players to develop in the draft, and hope that our picks this year pan out, then we could be a team with real solid depth and on the right track.

:applause: :applause: :cheers: exactly what i was gonna say.....a couple picks on the o-line....a couple on the d-line.....then WR,CB to replace springs....get some youth flowing through here

We may have some depth, like at QB and RB, but there are definately some positions that I have some concerns at. Even if all our starters on DL are healthy, I'm still concerned about the DL. If injuries start hitting there, then we're in big trouble, IMO.

The secondary, for all we've done this offseason there, still could be in trouble if we have some injuries. I'm not talking about like last year (really, really bad), bad... but thin and not real great in coverage, and still in trouble, bad.

We have some depth at LB, but that is if McIntosh is what we all hope he is. Frankly, we have no real proof that he's going to be a good NFL linebacker. If he can't start, then we're right back to a less than perfect situation.

The OL worries me because of Wade. He may be okay, but we don't know that yet. If one of our tackles goes down, we might be in trouble. I really don't think that Fabini can play anymore. They really wanted him to work out in Dallas and he just couldn't do it. He may be shot. On paper he looks like a decent pickup as a tackle swing guy, but I don't think he can go anymore.

I guess we have better depth than a lot of teams though. Of course a lot of my worries comes from our starters...

I find it amazing that someone could look at this razor thin roster and think there is any real depth here.

We have no starting LG. We are trying to convert a RT to play there. Behind him, there's nothing starting caliber even if he is. If Wade can't do it, we are hosed six ways from Sunday. Our o-line depth isn't any good. Fabini? That guy couldn't even play on the Cowboys line and they are terrible.

We have no #2 WR. Lloyd is terrible. El is a #3. Behind them, we have poor options.

We have no #2 TE. We have Cooley and a 7th round rookie.

We have 1 quality DE who is also the only 1 DE that is a pass-rushing threat: Carter. We have no depth at DE. We have 1 quality DT starter in Griffin. We are praying that Colston can hold down the job. The rest of our D-line depth is full of spares and has beens.

If Springs stays, we are ok at CB, but if he goes, we are royally hosed (that's what razor thin means). Springs is a #1 CB. Neither Rogers or Smoot are. Macklin is spare. A CB chart of 1. Springs 2. Rogers 3. Smoot is a good CB chart. A CB Chart of 1. Smoot 2. Rogers 3. Macklin is terrible.

____

We do have depth at QB, which is nice.

We have depth at RB with 2 quality starters and a decent #3.

We have some depth at LB.

We have some depth at Safety.

Please get your head out of the sand. Most teams in this league have our problems, and those teams that do have quality depth don't know how to win the close games either.

Coaching will play a large part to our success this season until we can retool.

Keep the faith and consider my latter comment as a whisper of hope for us this season.

SnyderMustGo,

As Angel said, this seems like the case with most, if not all NFL, teams. Since you are implying that the FO has done such a poor job with providing quality depth on the team, please provide us with a thorough roster analysis of the teams that have quality depth at every position.

If you can't do that, then I guess you're just one of those mindless venters?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/10193430

Yay we got props for a change!

"A team like the Redskins may be sitting in the middle of the pack in the NFC, but if injuries become a critical factor around the league, Washington has a very good chance of surviving. Quarterback Mark Brunell, running back Ladell Betts, wide receiver Antwaan Randle El, offensive tackle Jason Fabini, guard/center Ross Tucker, defensive end Renaldo Wynn, defensive tackle Joe Salave'a, cornerback Fred Smoot, safety Pierson Prioleau and linebacker Lemar Marshall make up an impressive group of nonstarters on the team's roster."

This is the end of the article, he is discussing depth on teams after the starters basically, its a good article.

are you freaking kidding me!!! impressive group of non starters!!! brunell!! you surely jest....fabini!! get out.....pri who!!! lemar marshall.

give me a break... he must be a skins fan because in the skins fans mind they have 53 probowlers on their team and the guy that just left the team sucked anyway and the guy who just came through the doors drank the burgandy koolaid and he is now superman

Archived