Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

5000th post and My Two Cents

cphil006

It's been great writing on here and appreciate everybody's two cents. There's been a couple of things I have strong opinions on lately and would just like to share...

1) Why would we trade Portis? How could we trade him? Just because it works on Madden doesn't mean it happens in real life, this is not Fantasy Football. Ridiculous trades just don't happen that often.

2) TJ Ducket was insurance. We got him for a reason. At the time, Portis was injured, and Betts was banged up earlier. Duckett was insurance that we didn't need in the end. It happens in life. Like when you don;t get in a wreck for 4 years, but you still bought insurance for your car. It's how insurance companies make money. It's "just in case". In this case, the Falcons made out. But at least we had insurance.

3) Amobi Okoye would not have helped us. Would he have started over Cornelius Griffin, Joe Salave'a, Golston, or Montgomery? NO. He's 19 and weighed less than 300 last year. He would have been eaten alive by the guards in the NFL. Tommy Harris was way better in college. The kid was so intriguing because he was 19. He wouldn't have been able to heavily contribute for 3 more seasons.

4) It either came down to Landry or Jamaal Anderson. We took Landry, I think each pick would have been good, but Landry could help right away. We are banking on the fact taht we can get a solid season out of Daniels/Wynn and Carter looks like he did in the second half last season

5) Jason Campbell looks good from what I hear from the players and coaches. Our season may just hinge on how well he does. This is good news.

6) Why the heck do rumors get started? Sean Taylor doesn't show for the first week of VOLUNTARY team activities and gets blasted because people think he wants a new contract and is holding out. WHY? He never stated that. The practices were NOT required. As Santana Moss says, he runs in Miami in the winter/spring because well... it's Miami and it's much warmer than DC during that time. Taylor also has his whole family there. Give the guy a break and stop spreading rumors.

CP

:2cents:

It's been great writing on here and appreciate everybody's two cents. There's been a couple of things I have strong opinions on lately and would just like to share...

1) Why would we trade Portis? How could we trade him? Just because it works on Madden doesn't mean it happens in real life, this is not Fantasy Football. Ridiculous trades just don't happen that often.

We shouldn't trade him just to trade him, but he's certainly not untouchable (I seriously doubt anyone would be interested in him really).

2) TJ Ducket was insurance. We got him for a reason. At the time, Portis was injured, and Betts was banged up earlier. Duckett was insurance that we didn't need in the end. It happens in life. Like when you don;t get in a wreck for 4 years, but you still bought insurance for your car. It's how insurance companies make money. It's "just in case". In this case, the Falcons made out. But at least we had insurance.

Can't agree with you here. Bad trade all around. It was a knee-jerk reaction. We could have picked up anyone off the streets and done the same thing without wasting another good draft pick (or two).

3) Amobi Okoye would not have helped us. Would he have started over Cornelius Griffin, Joe Salave'a, Golston, or Montgomery? NO. He's 19 and weighed less than 300 last year. He would have been eaten alive by the guards in the NFL. Tommy Harris was way better in college. The kid was so intriguing because he was 19. He wouldn't have been able to heavily contribute for 3 more seasons.

No one knows how the kid will play, but I have no problem with the Redskins passing on him. We may live to regret it though.

4) It either came down to Landry or Jamaal Anderson. We took Landry, I think each pick would have been good, but Landry could help right away. We are banking on the fact taht we can get a solid season out of Daniels/Wynn and Carter looks like he did in the second half last season

Agree.

5) Jason Campbell looks good from what I hear from the players and coaches. Our season may just hinge on how well he does. This is good news.

This is good news because it beats the news we kept hearing about him last year. He needs to play better than he did last year, so let's hope he does.

6) Why the heck do rumors get started? Sean Taylor doesn't show for the first week of VOLUNTARY team activities and gets blasted because people think he wants a new contract and is holding out. WHY? He never stated that. The practices were NOT required. As Santana Moss says, he runs in Miami in the winter/spring because well... it's Miami and it's much warmer than DC during that time. Taylor also has his whole family there. Give the guy a break and stop spreading rumors.

It's the offseason and people need to sell papers and magazines. We also have to make up stuff to bide our time.

Congrats on 5000!

Hail,

H

1) With tendonitis in his knee it could be a problem for him and the team. I am not advocating we do trade him, however if a REALLY sweet deal came our way it would be worth looking at anyway (as it would for any player i would think)

2) The "premiums" were too high for TJ, it's like paying for 10 million insurance when you only really needed 2 million. The past is the past so I dont lose sleep over it.

3) I would agree on this. He might turn out to be a fantastic player, he might not. Time will tell, and you know we can always get him with our love of spending money on players we dont own. ;-)

4) I am happy with our choice, I hope my happiness continues when the season starts.

5) We can only hope we have found a player who will perform at a superior level at the QB position for many years. I think he gets this season and next to show us what his ability it.

6) Nothing else to talk about ? I also dont see a problem with him skipping the voluntary workouts. As long as he is at the mandatory ones (and hopefully in shape) it wont matter very much in my opinion. He doesnt need timimg with the QB like a reciever does.

I take umbrage with the above. Pure speculation on your part, but you are entitled to it of course. His age was not the sole factor in teams wanting to draft this guy - he has the talent, intellect and character many teams desire. He was not taken # 10 overall by Houston to ride the pine and hope to contribute something in three seasons. IMO, he definitely would have seen some time in the rotation immediately. I think you're selling the kid very short and not giving him his due for what he has accomplished in such a short amount of time.

If we used Duckett when Portis got hurt, then I would understand if he was insurance. But he barely left the bench. Did he not understand the offense? I would have made a trade for someone like Blaylock or someone more familiar with the offense. I still think that it was a bad idea.

5,000 posts is fairly impressive. Here i sit with single digits...

I was one of the few from my group of friends who was not upset over the Duckett trade. He showed some awesome pickups when Saunders called his number....if saunders called his number. I don't think that we used him nearely enough to warrant the draft pick, but i digress.

I'm thinking Portis needs an exceptional healthy season with the Redskins to win back the fans. If he has a sub-par below 1,000 season, people are going to start remembering that we traded Champ Bailey for a runningback out of the Denver Stables.

Cheers and Congrats!

:cheers:

I agree with your explanations, but I do not agree with the decisions. Then again, that's what makes the world fun.

Duckett was an insurance move. It was a bad one. We had enough insurance already in Betts, Cartwright, Sellars, and Nemo. Not a big long term goof especially if as we were all hoping we were Super Bowl Bound.

Landry vs. Anderson. We chose Pastry gosh darn it.

Trading Portis... doesn't seem like a smart or good idea to me either. He's hurt and rehabbing now. We'd never get a sweet enough deal which is the only way I'd ever consider it.

Duckett was an insurance move. It was a bad one. We had enough insurance already in Betts, Cartwright, Sellars, and Nemo. Not a big long term goof especially if as we were all hoping we were Super Bowl Bound.

Landry vs. Anderson. We chose Pastry gosh darn it.

I agree we paid too much for Duckett, just like most insurance policies if you never use it. Duckett is a former starter at RB in the NFL. He would be better suited to have been our starter if Portis' never healed and Betts got injured than Cartwright, Sellers and Nemo.

At the time we got Duckett, Portis's season was in question and Betts was a little banged up during preseason.

We do tend to pay too much for trades. When we traded Bailey and a 2nd for Portis, I think we could have gotten Denver to give us their 2nd. Denver themselves even said finding a great corner is much harder than finding a good RB.

We overpay for our "insurance" premiums, no doubt.

I take umbrage with the above. Pure speculation on your part, but you are entitled to it of course. His age was not the sole factor in teams wanting to draft this guy - he has the talent, intellect and character many teams desire. He was not taken # 10 overall by Houston to ride the pine and hope to contribute something in three seasons. IMO, he definitely would have seen some time in the rotation immediately. I think you're selling the kid very short and not giving him his due for what he has accomplished in such a short amount of time.

Pure speculation on everyone else's part, too. The fact that he was 19 factored in a lot for anyone "projecting" him to be good. Otherwise his age wouldn't have been mentioned as much.

Even if he turns out to be good. I don't think he'd start over Griffin, Salave'a, Golston, or Montgomery this season at least. I've seen him play and Tommy Harris was way mroe impressive in college. I compare the two because they were similar in size, 6'1" 288 in college, but Harris played much lower, against better teams and played in the Big 12. But, at 19-20 he could be very good next season and thereafter.

Congrats on 5K!

Uhhhh, I recently hit 150 posts myself --- :jump:

When I think how much writing is involved -- 5000 seems like such a long way off. . . . So it's a really great accomplishment indeed!!

I agreed with most of what you said -- maybe you were a bit kind to the Skins' FO on the Duckett fiasco.

As far as Okoye goes, people should remember he was better suited for a one-gap system, and Williams runs a two-gap system. We'll see, but Okoye should look really good next to Mario Williams.

Congrats on 5K!

Uhhhh, I recently hit 150 posts myself --- :jump:

When I think how much writing is involved -- 5000 seems like such a long way off. . . . So it's a really great accomplishment indeed!!

I agreed with most of what you said -- maybe you were a bit kind to the Skins' FO on the Duckett fiasco.

As far as Okoye goes, people should remember he was better suited for a one-gap system, and Williams runs a two-gap system. We'll see, but Okoye should look really good next to Mario Williams.

thanks, it shouldn;t be about hte number of posts, I've been a member for over 3 years and coming on here for 4. Get quality posts out there, make it worth the reading. I try to at least. I felt it was an opportunity for me to give my two cents in one post rather than making 5 or 6 threads everyone else was talking about anyway.

yea, we did trade too much for Duckett, but I liked the aquisition. We should have made it a conditional pick depending on playing time, no higher than a 5th or 6th, though. Portis' season was in jeopardy and Betts was banged up. Cartwright, Sellers, and Nemo couldn't carry the team. Duckett had starting experience.

I think Landry will be good. Jamaal Anderson would have made me happy to. Okoys wouldn't have had the immediate return in my mind.

Archived