Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Making a Name For Himself Is All Part of the Game

Skinsinparadise

rest of the article click

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/04/AR2007050401515.html

FATHER

Making a Name For Himself Is All Part of the Game

H.B. Blades Draws on Family Tradition

By Jason La Canfora

Washington Post Staff Writer

Saturday, May 5, 2007; Page E03

The first question H.B. Blades almost always answers is about his last name and whether he is any relation to former NFL standouts Bennie Blades (his father) and Brian Blades (his uncle). The second most frequent question has to do with his size, with strangers often expressing disbelief that, at barely 5 feet 10, Blades was an all-American linebacker.

His name and height long have defined Blades, whose life has been framed by football, from his earliest memories tagging along to his father's games or practices to his most cherished days as a teenager hanging around the University of Miami Hurricanes when another uncle, Al Blades, starred there.

5'10 and 236.

Zach Thomas and London Fletcher seemed to make out pretty well in the NFL under 6'0.

the Redskins own Neal Olkewicz was graciously listed at 6'1 but was in fact closer to 5'11 when he played.

as Doc Walker indicated some guys are just ballers.

I think we got a baller in Blades.

I have a good feeling about him, based on the article he's a workaholic who prepares like crazy. Also scouting reports say he's a vocal leader on the field and smart player. All qualities that can lend to being a great MLB. Keep in mind Fletcher wasn't even drafted ditto with Antonio Pierce. 6th round isn't so bad in comparison.

I really loved this pick. I don't think I (or maybe anyone in the history of the world with the exception of the guy getting picked himself) has ever pumped his fist and yelled for a 6th round pick like I did when we took Blades. He's just one of those guys you know will be a good football player for you...

Midway through the article, I couldn't help to think that this guy could be another Antonio Pierce. A student of the game, who loves the responsibility of being an extension of the DC on the field....maybe this pick (if it pans out) will shut some of the naysayers up. This isn't a Robert McCune, Zak Keasey, or Spencer Havner type of pick or signing...there is some real potential here....I think a year or two behind LFB, then you give Mr. Horatio Benedict the keys to the car....he'll be ready...

Archived