Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DIY Home Improvement Thread..

PleaseBlitz

On 12/4/2016 at 2:49 PM, Gamebreaker said:

Does anyone know what to do with smoke detectors that keep chirping every two minutes? I changed the battery. But it just keeps chirping as if the old dead battery is still in. I tested the detector, and it does go off so I know the current battery is good. 

I tried cutting the power to whatever is causing the sound, but I don't see anything remotely related to smoke detectors on my breaker box. 

Any ideas? 

We built our house in 2014, and we recently had the same issue. One of your smoke detectors is the "master" and needs to be reset. Change all batteries and then reset one. Wait to see if you hear chirping. If you do, reset the next one. Repeat. When you reset one and there is no chirping, you have found the "master" and need to mark it so you don't forget in a decade when it happens again. Ours was caused by a power outage. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

2 questions.  I was looking to purchase my first drill to do home made projects, now that i am starting to do more difficult projects around the house.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EXQ112C/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

Is this a good one?

The next thing i am trying to tackle is

1) remove a medicine cabinet. i think this is within my studs but i haven't checked this yet.  If so, how hard will it be to drywall and patch the area?

2) remove a vanity. The vanity i currently have is hitched into a corner and it takes the entire corner.  It measures 22x37. I have gone to Home Depot and Lowes and haven't found any to this size.  My dilemma is that tiles come to the beginning of the vanity but they dont do under the vanity now or what are ways to cover the area not with tile? This tile is in the entire bathroom and came with the home 25 years ago.  Basic square tiles. 

10 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

2 questions.  I was looking to purchase my first drill to do home made projects, now that i am starting to do more difficult projects around the house.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EXQ112C/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

Is this a good one?

The next thing i am trying to tackle is

1) remove a medicine cabinet. i think this is within my studs but i haven't checked this yet.  If so, how hard will it be to drywall and patch the area?

2) remove a vanity. The vanity i currently have is hitched into a corner and it takes the entire corner.  It measures 22x37. I have gone to Home Depot and Lowes and haven't found any to this size.  My dilemma is that tiles come to the beginning of the vanity but they dont do under the vanity now or what are ways to cover the area not with tile? This tile is in the entire bathroom and came with the home 25 years ago.  Basic square tiles. 

zoony is the tool expert.

anything dewalt is nice.  if you can afford the brushless model, get it.

if you don't yank it out and actually back the screws out, your patching will be minimal.

you can custom build a vanity relatively easily.  if not, replacing tile is gonna be a ****.  (the removal of the old stuff, specificallY^)

Try out different models at the store, they all work well but for me, the fit and balance was important. I like the 18v series just for the feel.

There are a wide variety of specialty tile edgings and accents that can be combined depending on the precise situation to fill in and cover without looking like a patch job. Matching existing, especially older tile, is difficult and will always look just a little off. Complementary is way easier to achieve than identical.

16 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

@Major Harris haha.  I'm just trying to look for things that are critical or not.  Do i need 18v or 20V, cordless/electric or lithium ion, etc

Even a moderate diy'er won't have much need ever for an electric drill.  

I believe industry is moving away from nicad. lithium ion way to go.  

18v is plenty for most diy'ers 

• 3 weeks later...

Need to decide if it's worth your time patching the holes you make to see what's there. Could be hiding duct work,electric,ect.  I have one that wraps part of my kitchen. Part it is there to hide the roof framing above then the rest is there to provide a visual balance. Though it would look silly to take out all but one part of it for essentially a space I probably wouldn't end up using. 

As for the FlexVolt,I have to walk past the display all the time at work. It's an unfair temptation. ;) 

7 minutes ago, PCS said:

Need to decide if it's worth your time patching the holes you make to see what's there. Could be hiding duct work,electric,ect.  I have one that wraps part of my kitchen. Part it is there to hide the roof framing above then the rest is there to provide a visual balance. Though it would look silly to take out all but one part of it for essentially a space I probably wouldn't end up using. 

So i had a few people come out to measure my kitchen since i am redoing it but a lot of people the builder put it in so they can put in standard cabinets. 

• 4 weeks later...

Project 1 done at the new place-  patio (not taking on this one), sodding back edge and adding mulched play area, dog run, bar top addition to deck railing next

still need to add in built in bench and closet rack/overhead storage where bench is

IMG_2717.JPG

IMG_2720.JPG

IMG_2785.JPG

IMG_2795.JPG

Edited by steve09ru

3 hours ago, steve09ru said:

@Kosher Ham yeah I thought about it, doesn't seem too bad just very time consuming.  If we weren't on a time crunch and I didn't just miss 2 weeks of paternity leave then I'd take it on.  Just no time at the moment :(

I'm just too lazy to bother. Easier for me to pay someone to do it. I get where you are coming from though. 

@steve09ru . Congrats BTW. 

Edited by Kosher Ham
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So im looking to pay someone to do some pretty big upgrades to the house. Does anyone know of any kind of home improvement loan which doesn't require to you to refinance your home?

I was able to get a USDA loan when i purchased this house. Lender cant even come close to matching my current rate so i really dont want to have to refinance.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

We are in home improvement craziness right now. Doing a lot of upgrades to our home... guess it is the 12 year itch. 

Replacing 2 French doors and front door with fiberglass, gutted and completely remodeled guest bathroom, and painted almost entire interior except the kids bedrooms. 

All that I have done myself, however we are getting our floors replaced and I'm not touching that at all. There is an art to hardwood flooring that is beyond my skill level. Anyway got a great deal on hickory hardwood wide plank, I'm paying a crew to install it the first week of April. Also paying a finish carpenter to build some cabinets and buil ins for the living room. Trim and finish carpentry is not something I mess with, dont have the patience or the skill

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, zoony said:

All that I have done myself, however we are getting our floors replaced and I'm not touching that at all. There is an art to hardwood flooring that is beyond my skill level. Anyway got a great deal on hickory hardwood wide plank, I'm paying a crew to install it the first week of April. Also paying a finish carpenter to build some cabinets and buil ins for the living room. Trim and finish carpentry is not something I mess with, dont have the patience or the skill

The single most important tool you can ever have is realizing your own limitations, patience OR skill. Even if you know how to do something, if you can't commit to doing it fully you won't get the results you want. Kudos!

My shed is packed to the roof w/ materials for the great spring burst of 2017, just waiting for the weather to cooperate. I finally felt like I was making genuine progress this winter when we stayed warm n comfy, can't wait to get on with the next phase. I'm finally getting dug out of the hole left for me by the previous ^$%@*^#rat****$%# owners and all the dumb things they did, now I can do what I want done.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2017 at 7:01 PM, skinfan2k said:

i asked this in the random thread but how would one find out if the soffits in my kitchen can be removed?

When I had my kitchen remodeled, I wanted the sofits gone. Unfortunately it housed the drain stack from the upstairs, and it could have been done except lots of structural changes. Decided to keep the sofit.

In other news, I have both corded and cordless drills. They are both older and have their unique uses. I do use the corded more.

Edited by LadySkinsFan