Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DIY Home Improvement Thread..

PleaseBlitz

Eeek. Reminds me of some remodels I've done in the past. No fun. But I do sympathize. Our house was built in 1979. Now aside from obviously being street inspected ;),this house has been worked on by diyer's and maybe a few......"handymen" ahem. After all that,only 1 permit was ever pulled for the place and that was for the roof,and that one expired. Read: Shortcuts were taken and didn't want the city to see. I've got a project list for this place that consumes a 3x2 dry erase board. Going to be a busy Winter. 

Ehhh, kinda fun, in a twisted sorta way. I've had to learn a LOT of stuff I'd never tried before, I've taught boyzilla a slew of swear words never before heard, and in the end, we get the benefit of it all. Five years in, all of it done without help, things starting to pay off, what's not to love?

But sometimes I swear, this was the previous work crew, that guy in the x-ray with the spike through his head and the chicken that plays tic-tac-toe.

ht_xray_spear_head_jef_ss_120619_ssv.jpgbusiness.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Starting my patio and barshed today. I'll try to post pics as I go.

Patio is roughly 15 x 18 with a firepit and fridge/bar area.

Shed will be at the end of it and will have bar, 4 stools, small love seat, tv, and of course the bar.

So the patio/barshed has turned into a 400sqft deck with a 10x12 barshed build in the middle.

We decided to spend the summer/fall using the yard as is and seeing what would benifit us the most.

Starting after thanksgiving with digging the footing holes.

Doors to shed will look like this:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.solarinnovations.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Vinyl-Folding-Glass-Wall.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.solarinnovations.com/vinyl-products/vinyl-bi-fold-door/&h=764&w=1000&tbnid=4ZzwvyFmI5QS0M:&docid=R7Mz1nFqNFYwWM&ei=wndTVrj8KcLbmwHK5ITADg&tbm=isch&client=ms-android-sprint-us&ved=0ahUKEwi45ZnxsafJAhXC7SYKHUoyAegQMwhRKBowGg

Shed inside like this:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://sftimes.s3.amazonaws.com/3/5/e/a/35ea10fbb118320b47bbaf9fd6ca6a94.jpg&imgrefurl=http://sfglobe.com/2015/02/27/pub-sheds-are-a-growing-trend-worth-seeing/&h=495&w=660&tbnid=5hxOiJ9ttyKB2M:&docid=OBrMoHXStZU1_M&ei=_3dTVqTuB8LemAHt46zACQ&tbm=isch&client=ms-android-sprint-us&ved=0ahUKEwjk6YKOsqfJAhVCLyYKHe0xC5gQMwgmKAQwBA

Edited by daveakl

• 1 month later...

I'm getting better and more comfortable with electrical work. Haven't tackled anything more complicated than light switches and light fixtures but it was something I was pretty afraid of probably a year ago.

With that said I need help diagnosing an electrical(?) issue with my garage door. The wall switch doesn't work. The garage door via the clicker works fine. I tracked the wire to the wall switch and is intact for all I can tell. I took a volt meter to the two wires behind the wall switch and there is a current back there. Is there a way to check if a current is running the length of the wire at various points?

Could I "hot wire" (touch the two ends together) the two wires connected to the back of the wall switch to see if it would activate the door? Could I do that without electrocuting myself?

Hardwood (solid) flooring.  So, I've laid hardwood in the past (2x) but am considering doing a critical area (entrance, dining room, large living room & hallway.  Couple of questions if anyone has experience in the area:

1) Is tearing up old hardwood flooring hard?  Seems to me it would be, especially 2.25".  I have about a 1/3 of it already covered with hardwood flooring, but I want all of it to match.

2) How to tell difference between "good" and "bad" flooring?  Only way I know is manufacturer, wood type and cost.  Seems to me entry-level is about $4.50-$6.00/sqft and to get quality hardwood flooring, you're looking at ~$7-8/sqft.  I did a room for charity and used Lowe's Bruce oak that they had in stock and it was garbage.  Probably 10-15% waste.

Hardwood (solid) flooring. So, I've laid hardwood in the past (2x) but am considering doing a critical area (entrance, dining room, large living room & hallway. Couple of questions if anyone has experience in the area:

1) Is tearing up old hardwood flooring hard? Seems to me it would be, especially 2.25". I have about a 1/3 of it already covered with hardwood flooring, but I want all of it to match.

2) How to tell difference between "good" and "bad" flooring? Only way I know is manufacturer, wood type and cost. Seems to me entry-level is about $4.50-$6.00/sqft and to get quality hardwood flooring, you're looking at ~$7-8/sqft. I did a room for charity and used Lowe's Bruce oak that they had in stock and it was garbage. Probably 10-15% waste.

100% do not buy your flooring at a box store or lumber liquidators. This cannot be overstated

Find a hardwood flooring supply in your area. thats where 100% of professionals buy. That should tell you something. Better price, better quality. And all of the knowledge you need

Keep in mind though they cater to Pros. So if you wander in there with a million questions and the expectations of your way right away, you might piss them off. Just tell then you'd like their help and advice and run with it. Just remember at the end of the day they most likely sell about $30 million worth of flooring annually, so your one time (you are not a pro so you will not repeat) $4000 sale ultimately doesn't mean much. Just keep that in mind

But expect to save about 50% and get the right materials and equipment if you plan to finish them yourself, or a higher grade of prefinished. They don't sell product that their customers (pros) will be tearing back up in 5 years

Also, use staples not cleats.

Question for you guys. Guy I know built a sunroom 11×13 on his deck like 15yrs ago. Ten yrs ago he decided to put 8×8 ceramic tile down so he put down 3/4 inch treated plywood over the decking boards before doing the tile work. Now I'm not sure if he used construction adhesive under the plywood when installed or how he screwed the plywood down along the edges or even staggered the plywood when laying it. Tiles are popping and cracking after 10 yrs. He says it is from over watering all his plant's. I say bad install job. Thoughts/ Opinions please

Question for you guys. Guy I know built a sunroom 11×13 on his deck like 15yrs ago. Ten yrs ago he decided to put 8×8 ceramic tile down so he put down 3/4 inch treated plywood over the decking boards before doing the tile work. Now I'm not sure if he used construction adhesive under the plywood when installed or how he screwed the plywood down along the edges or even staggered the plywood when laying it. Tiles are popping and cracking after 10 yrs. He says it is from over watering all his plant's. I say bad install job. Thoughts/ Opinions please

Did he use backer board?

Yah should have used hardi backer not plywood. Regardless excessive water is not a good thing either

Is underneath sealed? Humidity can cause the wood to swell from underneath as well

zoony's advice is always just spend more.

Yah except not. Actually that's the complete opposite of my post. Thanks for reading it you insensitive asshole

Yah should have used hardi backer not plywood. Regardless excessive water is not a good thing either

Is underneath sealed? Humidity can cause the wood to swell from underneath as well

He needs that 5k foam crawl space insulation i bet.

Yah except not. Actually that's the complete opposite of my post. Thanks for reading it you insensitive asshole

I love u zoony.

• Like 1

there is some green liquid that is coming out of my ac unit outside?  Do i need to check it out since its winter?  

I *think* this is the dye that is added to the refrigerant to identify leaks. It could be blown seals on the compressor or a failed compressor. 

Personally, I would get it checked out now & not wait until the Spring. 

I'm not an expert (my family has been in the HVAC business forever, so I've picked up bits & pieces over the years) - hopefully someone with more HVAC knowledge sees this. 

there is some green liquid that is coming out of my ac unit outside?  Do i need to check it out since its winter?  

do you have a heat pump?  if so, you definitely can't wait.

it usually means means a refigerant leak or dirty condensate drain line.

Edited by Major Harris

there is some green liquid that is coming out of my ac unit outside? Do i need to check it out since its winter?

Clearly this is ectoplasm. It's a tricky situation only to be handled by professionals. So the question for you is......who ya gonna call?

• Like 3

if it's a compressor, which is worst case scenario, you should be covered for the part, at the very least.

Labor can be more than the part for sure

Guys AHS sent out a contractor and one of the coils are leaking.  He is looking to see if thats under warranty but he said he is going to try to get me a brand new unit.