Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DIY Home Improvement Thread..

PleaseBlitz

If it's just the door you ought to be able to tackle it, that's a good DIY learning experience. If there's more involved, ie. water damage around it, support/structural issues, resizing the opening, exterior siding, etc. you want to think long and hard. I am of the opinion that there's nothing that can't be done, some guy somewhere knows how, but you need to be objective about your own skillset, what tools you have access to and how well you can use them. If you have the work done a good rule of thumb is whatever the materials cost, the labor will be twice that (give or take depending of course).

Since we bought our house 4 yrs ago I have been a plumber, electrician, mason, drywaller, painter, roofer, yadda yadda yadda, and yeah, some jobs got redone to get them right but they did get done.

Funny...in my sad state after the US was bounced out last night, I was just starting to plan for redoing my 2nd story deck/screened porch.  Originally hoped I could use most of the structural members (posts, joists), but it looks like I have to replace all five 6x6" posts.  Deck is 21 years old and I still think I can get away with keeping most of the joists, but replacing the posts is going to be a bear because they're buried directly into concrete.  I would like to keep exact same design and put posts in same place.  Anyone ever do something like that, and if so, how?  Cut post & jackhammer concrete up? ugh.

How much concrete is there? You shouldn't set posts in concrete, it works a lot better to use a post base on top of concrete. Maybe you can remove old posts, do a little concrete work to make a base and go from there?

Post%20Anchor.jpg

Sonotbube  below the frost line and then what is shown above.  

The biggest problem amongst DIYers and even old carpenters like me is an objective look at one's own skill set. I've learnLed my limitations the hard way,though I'm willing to learn,(Read: Electric). 

Yeah I've always got something going on here.  Laundry room is just about done except some plumbing for the sink and fixing the door,(I wasn't paying attention and blew that one. Grumble).  Vented the roof for the main house and it's already made a difference. Just about have one of the 3 irrigation zones all dialed in,(converted to drip irrigation), and landscaping there is about done. Have to do a partial conversion in the other part of the front yard until I can afford to get rid of more of the grass. Still have to raise the floor so I can start on the rest of the house down the road. Going to work on sealing the house up and slowly getting the windows in to the 21st century as well as repairing and resurfacing the driveway. Then............ ;)

The biggest problem amongst DIYers and even old carpenters like me is an objective look at one's own skill set. I've learnLed my limitations the hard way,though I'm willing to learn,(Read: Electric). 

I have definitely learned that the guys to listen to are the ones that tell you what they don't know, not the ones that brag about what they do

Yeah I've always got something going on here.  Laundry room is just about done except some plumbing for the sink and fixing the door,(I wasn't paying attention and blew that one. Grumble).

Ok, am I the only one that takes a little comfort in knowing that even PCS has to re-redo stuff sometimes? :D

The hardest thing would be the waste line for the washing machine box.  If you have waste lines in the area, it might not be too bad.  But I'm confused, are converting a room into a laundry room?

The hardest thing would be the waste line for the washing machine box.  If you have waste lines in the area, it might not be too bad.  But I'm confused, are converting a room into a laundry room?

I want to put a wash tub in there. Our laundry room is located just off our bedroom upstairs.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/FIAT-Laundry-Tub-To-Go-23-7-8-in-x-36-in-Laundry-Tub-in-White-TAT1100/204120848

Since this isn't floor mounted you could run the drain into the wall and connect with your washing machine drain line.  It should be vented already so not a big deal.

Interesting. Would that be something a novice could do, or should I call in reinforcements? lol

Personally, I'd get a price to do it from a plumber since I design plumbing system, I don't actually build anything.

And depending on how far laterally you have to run thru the wall, and how many studs you'll have to go thru, it could be tricky.

• Like 1

The previous owner used to use the space under the deck as a wood pile. I just cleared out all the wood, now it's all barren underneath there. I've looked online at ideas but looking for more. Any suggestions from the simple to the mind blowing?

I got attacked by fire ants in my yard a couple of days ago. They got me good - probably 20 bites of my foot. Luckily it wasn't my daughter.

The problem is I can't find their mound. Everything online tells me to poison the mound to kill the queen. They seem to be all over a 4sqft area of grass in my yard - but no noticeable mound at all. I just see them in the grass.

How do you kill them them if you can't find a mound?

I have been doing nothing but home projects since February. I'm exhausted, seriously. I am physically sore.

-12 yards of mulch (~120 wheelbarrows full)

-uprooted 12 mature bushes that the sub zero temperatures got this winter and replaced with 12 new bushes

-uprooted 7 forsythia (root system straight from hell) and replaced with fruit trees

-built a shed from the ground up

-painted exterior of house

-built all new custom shutters

-replaced all of the screens on my screened on porch

-pressure washed both driveways

-chased cracks in driveways and filled them with epoxy

-put in a garden

-caulked entire exterior of house

-new hot water heater (okay I paid a plumber for this one. I hate plumbing with a passion)

I'm broke and I'm tired of this **** hahahaha

I got attacked by fire ants in my yard a couple of days ago. They got me good - probably 20 bites of my foot. Luckily it wasn't my daughter.

The problem is I can't find their mound. Everything online tells me to poison the mound to kill the queen. They seem to be all over a 4sqft area of grass in my yard - but no noticeable mound at all. I just see them in the grass.

hose the area down and watch for them bailing out, of course that small ya can just treat the whole area

add

is there pavement, rock or shrubs close?....if so look there

really all ya need to do is apply the poison where ya see ants,they will transport it to the mound

Edited by twa

Diesel fuel works well too. Won't explode like gas when its lit. Burns slowly and you can easily control the burn area. Just spray it around, light it and watch those ****ERS die.

So I have an interior door that separates two rooms in my house that one of my dogs enjoys urinating on. I need to replace the door.

Can I buy a door without a frame and just bolt it up or is it more complicated? Also, any thoughts on waterproofing it? I'd like to prevent his urine from destroying the next door if possible.

(Yes, I walk him regularly and try everything to prevent him from destroying my door, it doesn't help)

So I have an interior door that separates two rooms in my house that one of my dogs enjoys urinating on. I need to replace the door.

Can I buy a door without a frame and just bolt it up or is it more complicated? Also, any thoughts on waterproofing it? I'd like to prevent his urine from destroying the next door if possible.

(Yes, I walk him regularly and try everything to prevent him from destroying my door, it doesn't help)

Just buy a pre hung door. The trim pops right off it is easy

As for waterproofing it, maybe just several coats of latex exterior paint

Is DIY prevalent in other developed nations? Do they have equivalents of Home Depot? I know hardware stores exist.

No, not really. (Europe and Japan)

But I think it is big in South America

Is DIY prevalent in other developed nations? Do they have equivalents of Home Depot? I know hardware stores exist.

In the UK there is B&Q and Homebase.

B&Q is so similar to Home Depot in layout and branding I'm surprised there han't been action for copyright infringement, unless hthe two are now related.

http://www.diy.com/

I read that B&Q is big in China too.

Edited by Corcaigh

Has anyone used one of the deck 'recovery' products? We have an old deck and are considering whether to use something like this, or just replace the boards with new. Not all the wood needs to be replaced.

I can't say the look is exactly what we want, but neither is Trex and this looks like a similar result. And I'm not sure replacing all the deck surface is a good investment as we'll probably not be in the house for that many more years.

It's more a matter of what the best option is for us to get rid of the bad wood and make the deck not a negative when the house is sold.

Has anyone used one of the deck 'recovery' products? We have an old deck and are considering whether to use something like this, or just replace the boards with new. Not all the wood needs to be replaced.

I can't say the look is exactly what we want, but neither is Trex and this looks like a similar result. And I'm not sure replacing all the deck surface is a good investment as we'll probably not be in the house for that many more years.

It's more a matter of what the best option is for us to get rid of the bad wood and make the deck not a negative when the house is sold.

I'm not trustful of that stuff. I'm in the same boat, though I think I've decided to rip out my deck and put in a stone patio. I'm tired of messing with wood, period

I don't like trex either. Awful mold and mildew problems and very hot surface.

I don't like trex either. Awful mold and mildew problems and very hot surface.

I did a Google search on Trex and mold and didn't realize how bad it was.

Here's one ... https://www.bobvila.com/posts/49587-trex-deck-mold-problem?page=1#.U7qT5LGootU

From reviews, results with the deck restore products seem extremely mixed.

Edited by Corcaigh

hose the area down and watch for them bailing out, of course that small ya can just treat the whole area

add

is there pavement, rock or shrubs close?....if so look there

really all ya need to do is apply the poison where ya see ants,they will transport it to the mound

Yeah, as I understand it, the ant poisons literally rely on the ants carrying it back to the nest, and sharing it with everybody. It's the only way they work.

So you can literally put it in the spreader and apply it like fertilizer, if you want. The ants will carry it to where it works.