Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Briggs deal STILL not dead? (EDITED: Comments from JLC e-mail)

ceviker

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

Posted at 2:53 PM ET, 04/29/2007

Who's Your Sixth Round Daddy?

So they stuck with LBs and took Blades, like I thought. He comes from a bigtime family - his dad Bennie, was a stud back in the day and his uncle Brian, was a quality player too. He was very productive at Pitt, but is not very big.

Like Sartz, he could come in and be a teams guy right away and gives them another athletic depth guy on defense. Right now they only havce Lemar Marshall and Khary Campbell as reserves, and they want to develop young backups there with the potential to play more regularly if need.

And again, I can't say this enough. Even if the Skins still get Briggs, keep your eye on Marcus Washington's hip and Rocky McIntosh's knee. Both conditions could get tricky.

Um... excuse me? What would have to give up now to get him? I e-mailed him about it and I'll post his reply in here once he gets back to.

I got the e-mal back from JLC. Here is what he had to say:

"i would say it is on hiatus, but until he either is traded elsewhere or signs a long-term deal with the bears (which i don't see happening) then you can't call it dead.

the bears seem intent on moving him and these teams have talked this to death. it could still happen for 2008 draft picks. it ain't over til its over by man, not with the Redskins interested.

cheers."

If the price is right, I'd do it. No WAY for a 1st or 2nd next year, but I'd do it for a 3rd next year (valued at 4 this year). And not for Rocky either. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being for one of the LBs we took today plus a 4th next year or something along those lines.

Briggs is a pro bowler. If the goal is to pick a future pro bowler in the draft than giving up our #1 for a pro bowler would make sense. I don't think we need him though unless we're not being told something about the real state of the health of our starting LB rotation. The deal is dead I'm sure, what does La Canfora know anyway? He's not privy to all of that information I assure you. Obviously he's got some idea, but come on, it's all speculation at this point.

HTTR

those advocating trading future picks again evidently haven't learned their lesson of the past weekend :)

this club is not close enough to trade away significant blocks of the future for solving an immediate need for today.

Briggs is not a playmaker. He does not produce the interceptions and forced fumbles on the outside that a Wilber Marshall did with the Bears.

He is a solid football player who complements Brian Urlacher and a fine front seven.

those advocating trading future picks again evidently haven't learned their lesson of the past weekend :)

this club is not close enough to trade away significant blocks of the future for solving an immediate need for today.

Briggs is not a playmaker. He does not produce the interceptions and forced fumbles on the outside that a Wilber Marshall did with the Bears.

He is a solid football player who complements Brian Urlacher and a fine front seven.

I'm down on our chances because I believe once a staff starts to lose a team, and the team is so uncompetitive because of it, that it is usually the start of the end and until we overcome last year's pulling apart I won't think we're going to win a lot.

That said, if we do come together, we're not that far away from anything at all. We have excellent personnel everyone on offense both in talent and performance, save at QB where we have talent, but not performance. Our defense has some very good skill and depth, and has a pretty strong batch of run stoppers along the defensive line. There's no reason with good QB play and a return to team ball we can't be a very good team. Both of them are reasonable questions though.

I don't buy the argument that Briggs is only average because he played with Urlacher. Couple of years ago, Chicago's DTs were hurt and Urlacher looked awful.

I'd trade then a 4th ina heartbeat. Seems that is the going rate for a disgruntled Pro-Bowler...

Archived