Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heard At the Park: Gibbs/Landry Post-Draft Quotes

Tarhog

April 28, 2007

NFL Draft

LaRon Landry Safety LSU

On if he expected to be selected by the Redskins with the 6th pick:

"I had an idea because my agent and I went over a mock draft and we went over the great things that can happen and the worst things that could happen. The draft we predicted was one of the best ones we did."

On how happy he is to be playing near his brother Dawan Landry [baltimore Ravens]: "I am very happy because when he was at Georgia Tech and I was at LSU we did not have a lot of time to spend together. Now we’re only about 25 minutes away. Now I think we will spend a lot of time together."

On how soon he expects to be a starter in the NFL:

"I just want to get on the field and help the team out. If not as a starter, I just want to get on the field and help the team out. I just want to win."

On what he thinks of playing safety with Sean Taylor:

"I think it’s the best safety combination ever. Sean Taylor reminds me a lot of my idol Ronnie Lott. I try to emulate Ronnie Lott. I watched a lot of Sean Taylor’s games when I was in high school and he was at college at Miami. He is a very physical hitter."

On what he brings to the Redskins:

"I just give 110% effort. I am a student of the game and I try to get guys to match my intensity. I am not really a talker, I try to lead by example and get those guys to match my intensity."

On why he idolizes Ronnie Lott:

"He is very physical and nothing stopped him. He would get injured and he would get through it. He reminds me of myself, that is why I tried to emulate him. I never want to leave the field and I always wanted to get it started and put in hard work and effort. I just have a passion for the game and he did too."

On his decision to stay through his senior season at LSU:

"I just wanted to have the chance to play for a National Championship and also I wanted to finish my senior season with my teammates. I had a lot of goals that I wanted to accomplish at LSU and that is why I came back. It was not a money issue. I wanted to better myself as a student of the game and also go back and finish with my senior class and finish strong."

On what he needs to work on and what he does best going into the NFL:

"I am really a technician and I always try to touch up on my technique. I can’t really say that is a weakness because you can never emphasize technique enough."

"If I have to give a scouting report I would say I am a hard hitter and I am student of the game, I can play the middle of the field, I can go into the box and take on a pulling guards and I am a force on the run. I am the total

package of a complete safety."

On his impressions of Gregg Williams and the coaching staff:

"Coach Williams reminds me a lot of Coach Saban. He is a perfectionist and I think I will fit in well with his scheme."

Laron certainly doesnt seem to be lacking in the confidence department.

Nor should he. He played in the SEC at the safety position for all 4 years (started 48 out of 52 games). I really hope the communication is good between him and ST.

Laron certainly doesnt seem to be lacking in the confidence department.

It also kind of worries me that we are "counting on Phillip Daniels." That quote kind of made my heart sink. I like the guy, but he's 34 years old.

Keep in mind that we have 3 picks tommorow.

Round 5

Round 6

Round 6

Round 7

as i wasn't sold on any of our potential picks, one day later i have fully warmed up to this pick. i think we are getting a great safety and hopefully our line will hold up to take some pressure off of him in his rookie year as a dline that pressures the qb benefits all of the DBs.

so here's to landry and taylor, which truly may turn into a dream come true

Keep in mind that we have 3 picks tommorow.

Round 5

Round 6

Round 6

Round 7

Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see us work our way into the fourth round. If someone is there that we really want, don't be surprised to see us pull the trigger. I wouldn't be surprised if we even sent Springs somewhere for a fourth (Detroit?)

Oh yeah, doesn't Roger Goodell look like Owen Wilson?

Nor should he. He played in the SEC at the safety position for all 4 years (started 48 out of 52 games). I really hope the communication is good between him and ST.

They've probably already spoken on the phone and set up a croquette match for some bonding.

On how soon he expects to be a starter in the NFL:

"I just want to get on the field and help the team out. If not as a starter, I just want to get on the field and help the team out. I just want to win."

On what he brings to the Redskins:

"I just give 110% effort. I am a student of the game and I try to get guys to match my intensity. I am not really a talker, I try to lead by example and get those guys to match my intensity."

On why he idolizes Ronnie Lott:

"He is very physical and nothing stopped him. He would get injured and he would get through it. He reminds me of myself, that is why I tried to emulate him. I never want to leave the field and I always wanted to get it started and put in hard work and effort. I just have a passion for the game and he did too."

On his decision to stay through his senior season at LSU:

"I just wanted to have the chance to play for a National Championship and also I wanted to finish my senior season with my teammates. I had a lot of goals that I wanted to accomplish at LSU and that is why I came back. It was not a money issue. I wanted to better myself as a student of the game and also go back and finish with my senior class and finish strong."

On what he needs to work on and what he does best going into the NFL:

"I am really a technician and I always try to touch up on my technique. I can’t really say that is a weakness because you can never emphasize technique enough."

"If I have to give a scouting report I would say I am a hard hitter and I am student of the game, I can play the middle of the field, I can go into the box and take on a pulling guards and I am a force on the run. I am the total

package of a complete safety."

That right there and this following Quote:

"Sean's a hard-hitter, a ball hawk. He has a nose for the ball. That's the way I like to play the game, too. My technique needs constant work--that's just how it goes. But along with that I feel as though I bring some skills to a defense. "I think we'll match up real well. The only thing we have to work on is communication. If we communicate well, then we'll be fine."

Are reasons why I think the Redskins have just found the future leader of their Defense! :D :point2sky

This man is mature and smart. He has the mind set I only wish Sean Taylor had. It's very much the mind set Ed Reed had with studying hard for the Ravens that made him a Defensive Player of the Year. Ray Lewis taught him that importance, of coarse. But I just wish Sean was this hungry to improve. Football is as much mental and hard work as it is a physical game. You need talent, work eithic to improve, and brains.

Archived